(Courtesy of Butch Elrod)

<< Previous TopicReturn to Index  

where did you meet

June 3 2017 at 8:43 PM

Steve backus  (Login flashbackus)

Welcome to the Carvingpost Forum
An internet community dedicated to the art of chainsaw carving & friends

Steve backus (
Good morning guys and gals, I recently choose the Red pill and down the rabbit hole you go, yes I went facebook.

Lurked on princess NoNo's for a year, got the feel for it and could see how it siphoned off the energy from places like this, don't seem lack drama much but you can get rid of those with different views easy enough thus stifling growth.

Had a little debate with an itinerant chainsaw carver who was adamant about chainsaw carving events and the costs associated attending contests and the auctions that seem to be a part of almost all of them, he was not a fan, claims its smarter to stay at the shop and just make money, he could be right.

As anyone who has been playing the game for any length of time knows there is a trade off on attending any event, travel costs, effort expended, paying bills when you get home, striking the balance is not easy and often hard to measure.

On the positive side by attending these events your chainsaw carving world expands in no uncertain terms, how many other carvers do you know personally that you met at a carving show?

Most of them I suppose.

Look back upon your carving journey and think about where you met what turned out to be a lifelong friend of the carving variety, at some carving gig I bet.

This discussion would be difficult on facebook, which is why these forums are still relevant to some degree, a place to have a discussion at more leisurely pace.

This wandering carver who was against the contests and carving shows had some good points, he also was raised as a second generation carver thus was exposed to our world his entire life, did not need to seek knowledge like those who are brand new, had it at his fingertips.

But for those who are seeking to expand their knowledge and are trying make a go of it, things can be a struggle, these forums and facebook now, they can be a valuable resource, but I tell you what friends and neighbors showing up at an event can be life changing, techniques studied up close, tools discovered, friends and mentors met, customers and fans created, and its fun!

Of course you will meet a few fat bully's along the way but they drop off like overfed ticks after a while and the true people shine through.

Keep in mind what the show is built from and the effort put forth by the promoter, wood, food, perks, shirts and much more.

The shows that don't respect the carvers usefully have shorter life spans, three to four years is normal,even a small show that has a short life span can create an opportunity for strangers to become freinds.

The point of my ramble is this, how many chainsaw carvers are your Friends, real ones who you hug when you see them and can borrow a file from {not button click friends}

Where did you meet them, ridgway alone must account for hundreds or even thousands of these relationships.

Where did this spiderweb of connections lead, one thinks they did it themselves but there is always shoulders that you are standing on, so tell us who your bestie is and where you met them.

and remember carve or starve...

Respond to this message

<< Previous Topic << Back
This forum brought to you by the United Chainsaw Carvers Guild

and remember carve or starve...

Respond to this message   

<< Previous TopicReturn to Index  
Find more forums on SculptureCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement