Return to Index  

John Stude - you are SO Right

April 26 2012 at 2:24 PM
BIG 

Response to Inspiration from Big M

FYI -

I was having a particularly difficult day at last year's - Prairieman Half Ironman last year - my one and only Half Iron. The high was into the 100s that day (September 11); and I was carrying the memories of September 11 with me including a photo button of the Lucioni's son in law in his memory. (This has nothing to do with the story, but I wanted to mention it anyway). I thought these thoughts might make the race easier, but they didn't - perhaps I needed to suffer a bit like so may who suffered that day 10 years ago.

I was complaining to John that I found triathletes to be snobs, or at least, not very supportive. When I was passed what felt like hundreds of times on the 4 to 5 miles lap bike course, very few of the participants said anything at all - let alone any encouragement (that I really needed at the time). Of course, compared to running races, I felt like the outsider - and that others should be encouraging ME.

THEN IT HIT ME...maybe they all felt like outsiders, or maybe they didn't; but WHY didn't I think I should be cheering the others? Maybe we were all working hard and certainly I could have been the one to start the encouragement! That is what makes RAW so great - that we all support each other; anyway, what a mistake I made in not realizing the power we have to start the positivity.

I am going to try and remember what John did; and the next time I need a little encouracement, I think I will give some; or if I start thinking that others are being snobs - I will quit being a snob! Ha.

Respond to this message   
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement