<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Barn find Lincoln

July 4 2012 at 9:49 PM

Garvin  (Premier Login Garvin2)
Forum Owner

Here's a couple of pics kindly sent to me by Martin of his father's "basket case" Lincoln "H" air rifle, which has now been restored to working order.

It's a 'long tang' trigger guard 3rd batch Lincoln, serial no. 5079, made between January and March 1906 according to Mr Knibbs. Interestingly, the stock has the usual LJ 'shooting man' etc markings plus there is an oval plate inscribed with "J Venables Son, Gunmakers, Oxford" "

Martin's dad found it in a barn 10 years ago and paid £5 for it. The rifle was full of cobwebs and was badly rusted, with the stock split around the pistol grip. The loading tap was heavily rusted.

It had no rear sight, a missing bead on the front sight, and the the lever catch and a butt plate screw were also missing.

Here are the pics of the rifle in the condition it was found in:

[linked image]

[linked image]

------------------------------

The Vintage Diana Forum

The Vintage BSA Forum

This message has been edited by Garvin2 on Jul 5, 2012 10:07 AM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
John
(Login Dogfox)

Sad case

July 5 2012, 12:49 PM 

I don't think I have ever seen a rifle in quite such bad condition Danny. What a sad case. I can't wait to see the "after" pictures.

Respond to this message   
Gary (Grayling)
(Login Grayling1961)

Surely they don't come in a worse condition than that.

July 5 2012, 6:16 PM 

Wow thats got to be in the worst condition anyone on here has seen an old rifle found in. I thought my Haenel mkIVE was bad when I rescued that from a Lake District farm in 2007. Surely Danny you aren't going to post some photo's later of a beautiful LJ and say this is the rifle now.

Respond to this message   
John
(Login Dogfox)

Farmers and guns.

July 6 2012, 8:41 AM 

I have always said there are six things your average farmer should not be allowed to have:

Animals
Guns
Machinery
Land
Chemicals
Gates

Respond to this message   
Gary (Grayling)
(Login Grayling1961)

Re: Farmers and guns.

July 6 2012, 4:35 PM 

Take away guns, chemicals, large machinary, animals etc John and what you have left is generally known as a Townie lol.

Respond to this message   
John
(Login johnbaz777)

WOWSER!!!

July 7 2012, 9:30 PM 

I'm certain it's the worse condition i've ever seen a gun in sad.gif

Respond to this message   
Gary (Grayling)
(Login Grayling1961)

What did I say on the BBS

July 8 2012, 9:25 AM 

Told you John re your BSA thread on the AirgunBBS, I HAD SEEN WORSE than yours !!! And now so have you lol.

Respond to this message   

Garvin
(Premier Login Garvin2)
Forum Owner

And now the 'after' pics...

July 21 2012, 11:03 AM 

With thanks to Martin for supplying these pics of the nicely restored LJ serial no. 5079 and target card.

He says this about the restoration:

"I stripped the rifle down, sprayed all the metalwork with WD40 and left it overnight. Then I cleaned
the metal with a stiff brass brush and stained and glued the stock. My mate sold me the parts to
finish the rifle (front sight, rearsight, butt plate screws and cocking lever catch). I reblued
with G96 paste (very good stuff). The Lincoln now shoots very well, as you can see!"

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

------------------------------

The Vintage Diana Forum

The Vintage BSA Forum

Respond to this message   
Gary (Grayling)
(Login Grayling1961)

What a difference

July 30 2012, 11:31 AM 

The photographs are not the greatest quality but what a difference some TLC has done to this lovely old rifle. Thats another old classic saved for future generations. Well done that man.

Respond to this message   

barryeye
(Login barryeye)
Falke Forum moderators

Re: What a difference

July 31 2012, 4:22 AM 

Congratulations. You have given back that old rifle its pride. Please tell us more about the paste you used to blue it.

Respond to this message   
checkshirt
(Login checkshirt)

re blue

July 31 2012, 9:32 PM 

hi, just to let you know,it was g96 gun blue paste, you can buy it from e bay its 10£ . ihave used it for a long time now.the rifle needs to be completly de greased with white spirit or petrol.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index