<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Cadet ft.lbs data

November 11 2011 at 9:29 PM
  (Login BC5KILEEN)

could anyone who has literature or official data re the listed/accepted power output in ft.lbs for a cadet please let me know.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login barryeye)
Falke Forum moderators

Re: Cadet ft.lbs data

November 12 2011, 1:19 AM 

Back in the day (50s-60s) they only gave you FPS and never mentioned Ft lbs or the weight of the pellet. Not sure what MV they claimed for the Cadet but BSA and Webley used to quote top end M.V.s.

Respond to this message   

(Premier Login Garvin2)
Forum Owner

I don't have any official figures

November 12 2011, 1:57 AM 

but in The Golden Century, John Knibbs writes that the Cadet was: "Advertised as being capable of dealing with small game and vermin at up to 30 yards range". He adds: "This was not an advertising boast; when new, the Cadet was a very powerful and accurate rifle, well able to kill rabbits and pigeons at its advertised range."

He says that in 1955, in order to make the Cadet more powerful still, the buffer washer behind the piston head was omitted to increase the swept volume of the cylinder, but this caused more recoil and made it unpleasant to shoot. In October 1955 an improved buffer washer was fitted behind the washer assembly which lowered the power slightly but made it smoother to shoot, with less kick.

Mr Knibbs also notes that the larger Cadet Major, which had a compression cylinder one inch longer and a longer piston, "gave an increase in swept volume resulting in a considerable increase in power".

------------------------------

The Vintage Diana Forum

The Vintage BSA Forum

Respond to this message   

(Login Winterlake)
Vintage BSA forum admin

Just looked it up in Smith

November 12 2011, 11:59 AM 

I have just looked in Smith's 'Gas Air and Spring Guns of the World', and on Page 123 he sets out some technical data for both the BSA Cadet and Cadet Major.

The velocity of the Cadet and Cadet Major are given as - 405 & 450 feet per second APPROXIMATELY.

It is my experience that Smith is rather conservative on his velocity figures, so with that in mind I would say that in good condition the guns should put out 450 f.p.s for the Cadet, and 500 f.p.s for the Cadet Major.

BSA, in their advertising literature gave the effective ranges of the two guns as 30 yds for the Cadet, and 40 yds for the Cadet Major (effective range againt vermin)

Hope that helps

Lakey

Respond to this message   

(Login BC5KILEEN)

Cadet ft.lbs data

November 13 2011, 3:43 PM 

that is the sort of data i need is there any way to forward a copy of this reference to my e-mail address.

Respond to this message   

(Login mrto)
Gem forum moderator

Cadet Major Power.

November 13 2011, 7:05 AM 

Hi Wil,
I realise you are asking the performance figures for a Cadet but I resprung and resealed two Cadet Majors in the summer and both guns with the new internals polish and lube were producing 5.5 ft lbs at the muzzle with Air Arms 8.4 grain pellets travelling at around 540 fps.I would expect with use this may rise to around 6ft lbs.The Cadet of course will produce proportionally less power typically but I would imagine 5ft lbs as being realistic.ATB.

Respond to this message   

(Login BC5KILEEN)

Cadet ft.lbs data

November 13 2011, 3:35 PM 

Cheers for the reply and i agree that the power would at best be around 5-6 ft.lbs but what i need is something officially documented to forward or ref to UK Borders Agency. I had hoped that someone would possibly have old BSA literature that outlined the power level. Would there be any reference data in the book The Golden Century if you have a copy.

Respond to this message   

(Login Winterlake)
Vintage BSA forum admin

Wil, you have an e-mail

November 13 2011, 6:22 PM 

Hi Wil,

I have sent you an e-mail containing a couple of Skans of the Cover and the relavent page of Smiths Encyclopedia of Spring, Gas and Airguns.

Any problems drop me an e-mail back.

All the best

Lakey

Respond to this message   

(Login BC5KILEEN)

Cadet ft.lbs data

November 14 2011, 1:17 AM 

the two file you sent won't open can you tell me what the format is

Cheers

Wil

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Cadet ft.lbs data