Sports R4U - 2001 and Older.

[ Forum Rules. ] [ Requests For Moderation. ] [ Sports R4U - 2002 and Younger. ]

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

AA Goalies...

September 23 2011 at 8:53 AM
Anonymous  (no login)

Is Jr. A hockey in the future a realistic possibility?

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Anonymous
(no login)

Re: AA Goalies...

September 23 2011, 8:54 AM 

For a very select few maybe.

Anonymous
(no login)

September 23 2011, 9:11 AM 

I assume you are asking because your son wants to play pro. A goalie's development trajectory is much different than that of a player. There are a few exceptions but most pro goalies are not espected to make an impact until their mid-20s. So, have him stick with it, don't be put off if he's not drafted into major junior and especially don't be put off by all the "experts". Good luck with it.

Anonymous
(no login)

September 23 2011, 9:14 AM 

Goalies do take longer to develop and there are several routes to they can take.

Just because they are playing AA does not mean they are not capable of playing Junior hockey. Find a good goalie coach and keep working hard.

Anonymous
(no login)

September 23 2011, 9:29 AM 

Wow, reasonable answers on N54!! Awesome

Anonymous
(no login)

September 23 2011, 9:32 AM 

My son plays minor midget AA and will be an AP for a Junior team this year as well. So it is possible.

Anonymous
(no login)

September 23 2011, 9:34 AM 

The key is playing and getting shots. Many goalies chase playing on a winning teams that are strong scoring team with good D. Better to look for mid pack teams that need to fight for every win. The intensity of the game and the shot count is what will make a goalie better. When you go to play Jr no one will care what you did in Bantam or MM. Show up at the tryout and be ready to earn spot.

Anonymous
(no login)

September 23 2011, 9:34 AM 

thats great! Get some good experience with that.

Anonymous
(no login)

September 23 2011, 10:22 AM 

all depends on who's evaluating. every coach sees things differently, and most don't know anything about goalies. though few will admit that.

Anonymous
(no login)

September 23 2011, 10:27 AM 

Most good coaches at the junior level will have someone who knows what they are doing help them pick their goalies. But it is true that everyone looks for different things in a goalie.

Anonymous
(no login)

September 23 2011, 12:16 PM 

same with Jr. B?

Anonymous
(no login)

September 23 2011, 12:38 PM 

Anything is possible. Just like winning the 649. 75+% of AAA players are not going anywhere despite what daddy and mommy think, AA players 95+% are not going nowhere, 99+% of A players are not going to play junior either. Reality is all these kids will be in the beer leagues in 5 years and some parents will have been taken to the cleaners with all the cash they spent on a empty dream. Hope you all still have funds for your children's post secondary education.

Anonymous
(no login)

September 23 2011, 2:10 PM 

You sound like the bitter loser who fell for the dream but didn't have the brains to earn enough money to pay for both school and sports. Don't assume everyone is a stupid as you. Spending money, if you have it, on your kid's dream is worth it.

Anonymous
(no login)

September 23 2011, 3:32 PM 

75% is even too high a number. More like 90% for AAA.

Anonymous
(no login)

September 26 2011, 11:02 AM 

better to be a 10 game/season avg. AAA goalie or a 25 game/season strong AA goalie??

Anonymous
(no login)

September 26 2011, 12:29 PM 

Which one do you think your goalie would enjoy more? If you aren't playing for the love of the game then you may very well end up disappointed.

Anonymous
(no login)

September 26 2011, 12:40 PM 

What to look for is work habit and lateral movement.

Anonymous
(no login)

September 29 2011, 10:22 PM 

did any move up to AAA this year? How they doin so far?

Anonymous
(no login)

September 29 2011, 10:46 PM 

don't know about AA but a North London single A made minor Midget Elgin Middlesex Chiefs AAA and earned a shutout in his first AAA game...talk about a good start and inspiration for others

Anonymous
(no login)

September 29 2011, 11:02 PM 

Anonymous
(no login)

September 30 2011, 12:20 AM 

Shutouts are more of a team stat. Save percentage is more helpful when evaluating goalies.

Anonymous
(no login)

September 30 2011, 5:13 AM 

regardless, not a bad start for a goalie making the jump to AAA

Anonymous
(no login)

September 30 2011, 9:21 AM 

definitely a nice beginning. Hope he does well the rest of the year!

Anonymous
(no login)

October 2 2011, 11:41 PM 

He got a shutout his second game too didn't he?

Anonymous
(no login)

October 2 2011, 11:45 PM 

Yup
and 2 Player of the Game awards in the Alliance AAA Showcase

a good start

Anonymous
(no login)

October 3 2011, 1:59 PM 

good for him.
Other good ones?

Anonymous
(no login)

October 3 2011, 2:20 PM 

Isn't this for AA Goalie?

Anonymous
(no login)

October 3 2011, 2:30 PM 

yes....

Anonymous
(no login)

October 3 2011, 2:35 PM 

CB now on bandits A/AA formerly AAA is looking very exceptional, hasn't even played a game yet and he is hands down the best AA goalie in Ontario. He should never have been cut.

Anonymous
(no login)

October 3 2011, 2:39 PM 

Well who should he have replaced in AAA?

Anonymous
(no login)

October 3 2011, 2:47 PM 

you could mention the goalie on say, the last place team, but there will always be someone that would raise an issue with that choice - just difficult to change peoples thoughts when they have not seen the goalie play in a game.

Anonymous
(no login)

October 3 2011, 2:49 PM 

LOL ya, if the kid is such a ****ing all star he shouldn't have been cut. Tell us which kid that should replace, and why. And hasn't played a game yet and is the best AA goalie out there? Please, you havent even seen the talent in this league.

Anonymous
(no login)

October 3 2011, 2:53 PM 

AB on North London will probably do well, apparently 60 shots his first game an d only let in 6

Anonymous
(no login)

October 3 2011, 3:20 PM 

I find goalies on the last place team are usually the most talented. Funny how people will automatically assume that because the team is doing poorly somehow the goalie is to blame. Or vice versa, when a team is doing really well somehow that goalie must be great.

Anonymous
(no login)

October 3 2011, 3:21 PM 

60 shots and 1 goal....then we can talk.

Anonymous
(no login)

October 3 2011, 3:34 PM 

Funny how people assume that because a goalie plays on a last place team he must be good and if he plays on a top team he must be no good because he doesn't get as many shots.

Anonymous
(no login)

October 3 2011, 3:39 PM 

there are exceptions to every rule.

Anonymous
(no login)

October 3 2011, 3:40 PM 

Not gonna name names, but 3 goalies come to mind that CB should be ahead of. All done now anyways and he's in a better spot to get more shots ..... LJK Gold is averaging 7 shots against per game, that will not improve a goalie. On a side note i'm not referring to CM ....... CM is off to a great start 2 shutouts now, but the season is early. BTW I'm not a parent/mom/dad/coach either and my opinion is coming from 2 non biased ex pro goalies who've scouted 20+ local goalies over the last 2 months.

Anonymous
(no login)

October 3 2011, 5:12 PM 

I could name 3 kids who played with my boys who were in A or Select at Bantam and ended up playing Jr A. One is a goalie. By Bantam, a lot of the kids floating around at lower levels have the skill to play at a higher level. The real differentiator will be which of them loves playing hockey and is willing to put the hard work ahead of girls, cars, parties, etc.

Anonymous
(no login)

October 3 2011, 5:15 PM 

I can name a AA goalie that won't go anywhere because his parents made him into a quiter!!! Well I guess I don't have to name him the GTHL is a small world!!! P.s. If you don't believe in him, why make the poor kid play?

Anonymous
(no login)

October 3 2011, 5:23 PM 

What's a quiter? Is the kid shy?

Anonymous
(no login)

October 3 2011, 5:35 PM 

No a kid that thinks he is to good for every team he plays for because his parents think he should be on the TM AAA team lol yeah right... I think if the parents didn't make the kid think he is the best ever maybe he would work harder at getting better!!!

Anonymous
(no login)

October 3 2011, 5:39 PM 

Who is he playing for now? Select team?

Anonymous
(no login)

October 3 2011, 5:43 PM 

Did he quit the 97aa Penguins ?

Anonymous
(no login)

October 3 2011, 5:48 PM 

and the 97 AA Blackhawks in a playoff game last year as well?

Anonymous
(no login)

October 3 2011, 5:55 PM 

Who is CM?

Anonymous
(no login)

October 3 2011, 5:58 PM 

I don't know?

Anonymous
(no login)

October 3 2011, 6:00 PM 

Read the thread before posting dude, he's an A goalie who made elgin AAA and got back to back shutouts his first games.

Anonymous
(no login)

October 3 2011, 6:05 PM 

Slow down daddy he's not in the NHL yet!!!

Anonymous
(no login)

October 3 2011, 6:31 PM 

LOL repeating what has been posted on the thread makes you a daddy. Ya.. totally makes sense..

Anonymous
(no login)

October 3 2011, 6:53 PM 

Not the dad, I just wanna are the thread to be focused on AA goalies vs AAA.

Anonymous
(no login)

October 4 2011, 12:34 PM 

Do you regret not putting your kid in AAA sooner? What advice would you give a parent who is just starting out with a young goalie?

Anonymous
(no login)

October 4 2011, 1:43 PM 

Jump in early. Its a different culture up there.

Anonymous
(no login)

October 4 2011, 1:45 PM 

Just joining this thread.

My advice is only meant to be followed if your son really enjoys playing hockey.

Get to the AAA level as fast as you can otherwise come Minor Bantam / Bantam no AAA coach will sign a AA to a AAA level.

As well, it helps if you can stay with the same organization.

Anonymous
(no login)

October 4 2011, 1:47 PM 

agree...get to AAA early as coaches will take ones with experience over AA kids anyday.

Anonymous
(no login)

October 4 2011, 1:54 PM 

No really. A good coach will see a player, goalie or skater, and see how he is progressing. Thats why its called development and in soem cse kids come from behind and end up being the real deal.

Anonymous
(no login)

October 4 2011, 1:59 PM 

play at a level you can be successful at. Jumping to AAA before you are ready only makes you a bad AAA player. Once you have that stigma it will be hard to shake. There is no rush and this is really true for goal tending. Ge shots and make a difference.

Anonymous
(no login)

October 4 2011, 2:02 PM 

Not true for goalies in the G. Very few AA goalies even given a look at MM. For the most part, take a look at the goalies in MM AAA and most were there since MA. Like it or not, coahces will not take a chance on a AA goalie. They will take a cut AAA goalie over a AA one every time. If your goal is to get to AAA and you are in the G, do it as soon as you can.

Anonymous
(no login)

October 4 2011, 2:10 PM 

So your saying that a AAA coach will take a CUT goalie vs even looking at a AA goalie who's on the way up? A coach will take a player who could not cut it at AAA and totally avoid looking at a AA player who has shown great improvement simply because he had a AAA spot before. He may have lost 25 games but fuck it, he's AAA.

That has to be the stupidest thing I have ever heard.

Anonymous
(no login)

October 4 2011, 2:19 PM 

Agreed. But I have lived through it and from those I have talked to, many others have as well. I don't know of any AA goalies from the west that moved up to AAA this year. Maybe one or two but I think I would have heard about it.

Anonymous
(no login)

October 4 2011, 2:20 PM 

sad but so very true!!

Anonymous
(no login)

October 4 2011, 2:33 PM 

AA goalie moved up to the Titans.

Anonymous
(no login)

October 4 2011, 2:35 PM 

from where?

Anonymous
(no login)

October 4 2011, 2:36 PM 

HH AA and the year before that select, this is only his 3rd year playing

Anonymous
(no login)

October 4 2011, 2:39 PM 

Maybe if more coaches looked at the AA loop to improve goal tending you would have fewer team with 4, 5 and 6 goals against per game. Entitlement does not make a better player. Work ethic and attitude will.

Anonymous
(no login)

October 4 2011, 2:44 PM 

Good for him. No offence to the boy but there were a number of much better AA goalies looking for spots. Perhaps there was a connection there.

Anonymous
(no login)

October 4 2011, 2:47 PM 

no I don't think so, the family doesn't have money but the kid is a fantastic kid and huge

Anonymous
(no login)

October 4 2011, 3:21 PM 

Third year goalie already in AAA there is obviously talent there.

Anonymous
(no login)

October 4 2011, 3:25 PM 

he went to the TITANS!!! It was between him and other AA kids... Did you see who the Titans had last year??

Anonymous
(no login)

October 4 2011, 3:29 PM 

3:21 or size.

Anonymous
(no login)

October 4 2011, 3:32 PM 

he was OK....??? There were better though like someone else said.

Anonymous
(no login)

October 4 2011, 3:33 PM 

well then how cool for that kid

Anonymous
(no login)

October 4 2011, 3:46 PM 

3:32 - There were one or two that were better but I believe they were only at Ben's school for the work, (one was a Markham kid the other a TO kid).

However, the big kid the Titans picked has size and speed and a willingness to learn. Also, he is respectful of coaches and is not full of himself, (my son and him are friends). This kid hasn't been playing long and is already at a AAA level, which is a testament to his character and hard work.

There is one other kid that went from AA to AAA this year but that's it.

I am in a similar situation, my kid hasn't played very long (4 years) and is also playing AAA. I wonder is this a good thing to mention to coaches for next year or should I not say anything?

Anonymous
(no login)

October 4 2011, 3:48 PM 

what age are we talking here?

Anonymous
(no login)

October 4 2011, 3:53 PM 

MM

Anonymous
(no login)

October 4 2011, 3:59 PM 

...and paid a bunch of $$$$ to bd for this "opportunity".

Anonymous
(no login)

October 4 2011, 4:06 PM 

can't be MM cause HH were not very good last year. Maybe 97's?

Anonymous
(no login)

October 4 2011, 4:13 PM 

yes HH and yes they were terrible

Anonymous
(no login)

October 4 2011, 5:06 PM 

Isn't barrie's goalies only AA?

Anonymous
(no login)

October 9 2011, 9:05 PM 

barrie i believe took a aa goalie central ontario did the same and so did the titans

Anonymous
(no login)

October 10 2011, 1:55 AM 

No your son is known to quit on teams and lets shit goals in!!! Parents F up his hockey NAME!!!

Anonymous
(no login)

October 14 2011, 12:43 PM 

Richmond Hill and Barrie have each a decent AA goalie

Anonymous
(no login)

October 14 2011, 1:31 PM 

Could not make a AAA in any center. too weak

Anonymous
(no login)

October 14 2011, 2:02 PM 

1:55 - Care to put a name to that boy you're talking about?

Anonymous
(no login)

October 14 2011, 2:06 PM 

How did the A goalie get noticed? We hear so many times that A/AA is never scouted, so it's good to hear a deserving A kid made it. Interested to hear how he got found

Anonymous
(no login)

October 14 2011, 2:24 PM 

huh?????
WTF are you jabbering about?

Anonymous
(no login)

October 14 2011, 2:54 PM 

2:06 - This kid is friends with my son. He is a big kid and fast. It's really amazing to see how quickly this kid has progressed and no, it's has nothing to do with money, he comes from a family with not a lot of dough. THis boy beat out my kid for the spot but he really worked hard to do it.

Good luck Sam...we're pulling for you. M & R

Anonymous
(no login)

October 14 2011, 3:10 PM 

YOU OLD HORN DOG it is not SAMMY.

Anonymous
(no login)

October 14 2011, 3:35 PM 

Goalies in A or A/AA shouldn't get too worked up about not playing AAA, because with goalies it's not a big issue... players it is an issue what level you are playing on to get drafted or have future opportunities.

Trust me there are a lot of A/AA goalies who are better than a lot of AAA goalies ... many of the A/AA goalies will never bump a AAA goalie unless a vacancy arises or a AAA gets cut. But don't get discouraged ... if you want to play at a Junior level just signup for a Junior B,C,D open tryout and if you perform in their camp and make the team and perform at that level you'll get late round draft/protected by some Junior A squad somewhere and get a shot.

However you have to make the most of these tryouts and continue on just like Roloson and Mason did. Getting drafted means squat for a goalie ... sometimes you have to create your own opportunities and prove yourself then and show you want it more than any other goalie in camp.

Anonymous
(no login)

October 14 2011, 3:45 PM 

2:54 .... we're right beside you on that one. I hope that he has an incredible year. Go SP go!!!!

Anonymous
(no login)

hh / titans goalie

October 14 2011, 4:45 PM 

Wasn't he originally signed by the Toro's and jumped ship to hh? Seen him in action and was not at all impressed. However, good for him to make the jump and good luck to him in the future.

Anonymous
(no login)

October 15 2011, 4:43 PM 

richmond hill and barrie goalies dont get tested enough how can u tell

Anonymous
(no login)

October 15 2011, 4:45 PM 

the best ive seen (not including my own team, which would be bias) One of the Newmarket goalies is very good

Anonymous
(no login)

October 21 2011, 4:05 PM 

so where do we go from here? Play two more years at AA (Midget jr. and midget sr.) and then where if he wants to continue? Could "buy" a Jr. A spot? Or tryout for Jr. B or Jr. C?
Or does he move up to AAA and see about getting "drafted" out of his midget year?

Current Topic - AA Goalies...  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement