Sports R4U - 2001 and Older.

[ Forum Rules. ] [ Requests For Moderation. ] [ Sports R4U - 2002 and Younger. ]

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Minor Midget upcoming Draft

February 11 2012 at 2:37 PM
Anonymous  (no login)

Predictions on top 10?
Which goalie getting drafted first?
MD get's ecseptional status?

AuthorReply
Anonymous
(no login)

Re: Minor Midget upcoming Draft

February 11 2012, 2:42 PM 

CMD will never get ES that is fact you cant have two chosen ones in the same draft. Also consider the 97 age is already considered to be the weakest and smallest sized draft in iver a decade ... CMD is need by HC to prop it up a little.

Anonymous
(no login)

February 11 2012, 2:44 PM 

CMD will get status - its a given.

Anonymous
(no login)

February 11 2012, 2:55 PM 

Smart kids are heading to Prep School. Whether U.S. or Cdn, it gives your guy the best opportunity to play good level hockey and get a great education.
How many of these so-called superstars have had concussion and shoulder problems? and you are going to allow them to play with kids 4 years their senior?
If your kid is big(tall and strong), very talented, and no history of shoulder, head or knee problems, then the OHL could be very well the way to go.

Anonymous
(no login)

February 11 2012, 3:02 PM 

^^^^^^
Great points. Also, limited ice on higher end teams is not best for most players regardless of being able to practice with them.

Anonymous
(no login)

February 11 2012, 8:38 PM 

Best Draft was the class of 95

Anonymous
(no login)

February 11 2012, 10:15 PM 

You are dreaming. 95 was not good draft year. You can tell yourself that 95 dad

Anonymous
(no login)

February 12 2012, 10:31 AM 

Define good draft year. You cannot grade a draft year unless you spell out the criteria and also have to wait to see the draft resuls down the road. What are the criteria? Number of players and where they are taken in NHL draft? Points in rookie season? Success of U17 team? What exactly?

Anonymous
(no login)

February 12 2012, 10:42 AM 

95 was a great draft year....too bad a 96 went first overall.

Anonymous
(no login)

February 12 2012, 10:45 AM 

And another 96 could and should have.

Anonymous
(no login)

February 12 2012, 10:45 AM 

excellent comment.

Anonymous
(no login)

February 12 2012, 12:27 PM 

I think more people should spend their time drinking draft and let the kids enjoy hockey.

Anonymous
(no login)

February 12 2012, 12:29 PM 

teams are short d

Anonymous
(no login)

March 18 2012, 11:05 PM 

12:27 I TOTALLY agree !

Anonymous
(no login)

March 19 2012, 6:24 AM 

Anonymous
(no login)

March 19 2012, 6:42 AM 

Who is MD?

Anonymous
(no login)

March 19 2012, 12:41 PM 

CM already been told he is getting ES. Will go first overall, followed by Mckeown, and then JHS third.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 19 2012, 12:49 PM 

JHS going 5th. One Rebel and one Alliance kid going 3rd and 4th. Teams are finalizing their deals now and those 5 teams are in talks with those 5 kids. Done deal see in April.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 19 2012, 2:01 PM 

RF from Rebels and JM from London.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 19 2012, 2:06 PM 

The Hockey News indicated this morning Rebels LH considering NCAA?

Anyone know what school or is this another Domi-esque ploy to go where he wants to go in the draft. Don't get me wrong, more power to the kid if he can dictate which OHL team he ends up with.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 19 2012, 3:00 PM 

Feb 11, 2:55
Don't think that if your kid goes the NCAA route there are not risks. If you kid gets hurt and cannot continue the scholorship is yanked, you then have two choices, pay for the education, way more than here in Canada or go home to finish your degree. NCAA does not look after your kids best interest first.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 19 2012, 3:04 PM 

Neither do OHL teams, can't make the team? See ya!

Anonymous
(no login)

March 19 2012, 3:11 PM 

and even if you do, and things dgo a little sideways (no ice, injuries, billet issues, healthy scratches, ask you to fight, you get rocked by a 20 year old, etc.)Then what are your options? OJHL? Westwood Men's League? Think about the worse case scenario and then ask the question...the answer is in the answer you get regardless of OHL or NCAA. Good luck

Anonymous
(no login)

March 19 2012, 3:19 PM 

That's just about the dumbest post I've seen. OF course players will get cut if they can't make the team. Are you kidding me? Is this really what you wanted to say to make your point?

Assuming the average OHL player has a 4 year window to play at that level, and every year teams draft 15 players on average, that is 60 players competing for 20 places, not to mention FA's, as well as the potential of trades. While first and second round picks certainly have an advantage to being given a little room to develop, all players have to make the team!

Not trying to burst your bubble, but the same thing happens in the NCAA. There are way more healthy scratches in an NCAA hockey game than there are in the OHL. Take a ganeder at some of the commmitments made by NCAA schools at this time. There are schools that have made 15-20 commitments through the next two years! These teams mostly carry a team of about 25-30 players, sometimes more. Players are cut, or minimilaized all the time in the NCAA. It is just as much of a business, if not more, than the OHL.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 19 2012, 3:27 PM 

Agreed.

Pick your posion.

Bottom line, I'd still rather have my son play university hockey in the US and get a much more well-rounded life experience than the traditional OHL routine of high school, hockey, hockey, hockey, hockey.....to each their own.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 19 2012, 3:32 PM 

NCAA rosters are much larger than OHL rosters. In OHL you can be cut quickly for tons of reasons. In NCAA once you've signed the contract and showed up if you get cut from team then your education scholarship remains for international students. So it is not same deal at all. I know a kid that played at Lowell who played with my son in Oakville and he got cut his 2nd year but he still got 4 year half scholarship. The school cant cut them and get a new international scholarship.

If you can get an NCAA deal do it and do it fast. However they are MUCH harder to get for a MM than an OHL deal. Last year in 95 only 3 kids i know got a scholarship and they were conditional on moving to States for prep school hockey.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 19 2012, 3:34 PM 

CM of Oakville full ride to BC, playing with OPJHL Blades this year. Same with BC to Michigan from Marlies, currently with OPJHL Toronto Jr. Canadiens.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 19 2012, 3:54 PM 

"So it is not same deal at all. I know a kid that played at Lowell who played with my son in Oakville and he got cut his 2nd year but he still got 4 year half scholarship. The school cant cut them and get a new international scholarship."

3:32, that is pure bullshit. you have been LIED to. D1 athletic scholarships are renewed annually. if you are released/cut during the season then you will only continue to get that current year's funding, period.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 19 2012, 4:02 PM 

At the SCTA Showcase, a mother and father discussed the fact that their son had a scholarship at Ohio State and him and 2 other Canadians had it revoked in September. All three guys ened up finishing their scholastic year at Ohio State on the Buckeye's dime, but did not play. This particular guy (can't remember last name) ended up transferring to Carleton and finishing his career there in the CIS.

I didn't really see the downside frankly. He got 2 years of education paid for, and then only had to pay for two years and got a degree at a good Canadian school.

Kind of in-between both examples previously mentioned.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 19 2012, 4:03 PM 

btw, if this is about Stegnar's scholly to U-MassLowell then I know for a fact that what you're saying is pure bullshit.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 19 2012, 4:11 PM 

4:02, the point is someone is spreading misinformation regarding a "guarenteed" length of an NCAA scholarship over and above 1 year.

and it is not quite the same, as while you are playing in the O then 100% of your education is paid for, then when you leave you have 1 year for each year played. many players will take university courses then have more than enough tuition to complete their CIS degrees. in the AUS schools, board is a common supplement for those who did not sign 'gold' education packages, ie drafted beyond the 2nd or 3rd round.

so it's not all roses with an NCAA scholly.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 19 2012, 4:13 PM 

Noted. It's not all roses with anything. The only think you can do is encourage your son to work hard in school and on the ice and aim high.

Not all the kids drafted will have multiple options, but through hard work noted above the late bloomers can still aspire to success.

See James De Haas OPJHL Toronto Lakeshore Patriots as an example.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 19 2012, 4:34 PM 

"Not all the kids drafted will have multiple options, but through hard work noted above the late bloomers can still aspire to success."

agreed. the NCAA route works particularly well for late bloomers.

contrary to what you maybe inclined to believe by my other posts, I believe that the CHL vs NCAA decision is a family decision that should be made based on a number of factors however primarily focused on hockey talent and scholastic aptitude. the kid's maturity level, his own intention and family's finances all must be evaluated as well.

there is no simple "best choice". for example the Hamilton's are exceptionaly strong academically and would seem as perfect choices for the NCAA. however their superior talent will inevitably result in their signing an ELC at 20 (if not before in Dougie's case). the better calibre of competition and amount of games vs T2/NCAA serve their end goal better. so what may seem like a slam dunk decision often is not. the bottom line is that education is important regardless of which route you take.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 19 2012, 4:39 PM 

How do I get my PeeWee house league kid in this thing called the draft? It sounds like fun.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 19 2012, 4:43 PM 

4:34pm Thanks for the information. Sorry, but what is an ELC?

Anonymous
(no login)

March 19 2012, 4:47 PM 

i think silk at lowell got all 4 years scholarship but did not play final 2 years. more to story as he got hurt NOT cut. point is once you sign and register then you get deal. he then played at u of t for a year or so. Adans did play his 4 years but did not dress for many games. Those deals from years ago when things were different rules. Today you get only 2 years for international student scholarships when on roster for 1st season game. American kids have different rules at state schools. State schoools have different rules then private schools. Funding models are different at ncaa and at each school. Check all rules before you commit.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 19 2012, 4:48 PM 

lol! I know you're j/k; just enjoy the experience and remember: "if you're good enough, then they will find you". cliche but true for the most part.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 19 2012, 4:50 PM 

FACTS from the College Hockey Inc. website;

Q: Are scholarships guaranteed for four years?

A: Thanks to a change in NCAA rules in 2011, scholarship agreements may be made for anywhere from one to five years.

Signing a National Letter of Intent, even for a scholarship promised for four years, commits a student-athlete to that school for one year.

Even thoughs scholarship agreements made for one season are almost always renewed annually; they are very rarely cancelled and never for on-ice performance.

Q: Can athletic scholarships be cancelled if I play badly or the coach doesn't like me?

A: Athletic scholarships may not be reduced or cancelled year-to-year based on your ability or performance, because an injury prevents you from participating or for any other athletic reason.

If you are receiving an athletic scholarship, the scholarship may be reduced or cancelled only if you:

•render yourself ineligible for NCAA competition;
•misrepresented any information on your application, letter of intent or financial aid agreement;
•commit serious misconduct which warrants a substantial disciplinary penalty; or
•voluntarily quit the team for personal reasons

Anonymous
(no login)

March 19 2012, 4:53 PM 

4:43, an NHL Entry Level Contract. most NHL drafted kids get signed when they're 20, ie. after 3 or 4 years of junior, or in a number of NCAA cases 2 years of T2 and 2 years of college. kids drafted in the 5th to 7th round of the NHL draft have to work hard as many here don't sign.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 19 2012, 4:54 PM 

Thanks for the information, much appreciated and refreshing to get facts with no BS.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 19 2012, 4:56 PM 

Back to my original question, anyone know what school Rebels LH is considering?

Anonymous
(no login)

March 19 2012, 5:01 PM 

My son had a scholorship at Boston College, hurt his shoulder have way through season one, they did rehab and next US Thanksgiving hurt it again, they deemed it to be chronic and yanked his scholorship at end of year, could have done so at the end of first semester, they said they were being compassionate. Our choice was pay $45 K us per year for remaining years or come home, which he did. Our other son passed on US route and played OHL, never drafted played two years, received some money for university at end of OHL career, went on to played Canadian University hockey. I would rarely recommend the NCAA route.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 19 2012, 5:02 PM 

4:50, first do you notice the double speak in that agreements can be made obviously "verbally" for more than 1 year, yet right after that it states that you only have a funding commitment for 1 year?!

Also, regarding the latter portion of the statement:

"Even thoughs scholarship agreements made for one season are almost always renewed annually; they are very rarely cancelled and never for on-ice performance."

notice the "very rarely"? and I can give you numerous player examples where players were CUT specifically for their on-ice performance.

for starters google Brett Bennett who played at BU:
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=95346

BU was going for a national championship and released/cut him OUT-RIGHT because of his performance.

do not buy in to that CHI inc bullshit propoganda.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 19 2012, 5:05 PM 

4:56 Are you kidding me? who cares what schools LH is considering ? if any. Get a life.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 19 2012, 5:07 PM 

March 19 2012, 4:56 PM

Its a negotiating ploy. He's hoping (probably misplaced ) to control his own future. Should take what he can get cuz there are no guarantees for him. Not all his mother thinks he is....not according to the scouts I have spoken too. Will be evident at the combine....if he shows.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 19 2012, 5:15 PM 

4:50 and anyone else buying the "guarentees" by the NCAA, please google the following players.

the bottom line is the NCAA is a big business just like the OHL. many of the following players were cut due to performance or a change in the coaching staff. don't buy the "they weren't doing too well in school" BS.

remember, D1 schools have 18 scholarships to dole out. the top 6 forwards and 3 or 4 defence get full rides everyone else has partials and some are even not funded when they go beyond 27 players which happens at many schools. your full ride this year may very well turn to a partial or even revoked as you move down the pecking order. read their stories, many of which are shrouded in secrecy.

Taylor Stefishen
Erick Belanger
Mike Folkes
Brett Bennett
David Klema
Russ Bartlett
Mike Lappin
Chris Lappin
Joe Schuman
Brendan Walsh
Alex Leavitt
Aaron Crandall
Austin Handley
Tom Bardis
Zach Bearson
Nate Condon
Chris Hickey
Jake Youso
Tyler Barnes
John O'Neill
Travis Erstad
Brandon Martell
Brock Montpetit
Lem Randall
Keif Orsini
Glenn Belmore
Jonathan Lehun
Peder Skinner
Igor Gongalsky
Matt Auffrey
Matt Foy
Dale Good
Nigel Williams
Mark Heatley

Anonymous
(no login)

March 19 2012, 5:18 PM 

my older boy is a 90 an I must say the 90's and the 89's were the best draft classes, all these other years are terrible.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 19 2012, 5:24 PM 

regarding Brett Bennett and that CHI statement: "they are very rarely cancelled and never for on-ice performance.", 4:50, forward this to CHI for an explanation:

The Daily Free Press

Men's hockey goalie Brett Bennett released
By John Barone

Goaltender Brett Bennett has been released from the Boston University men's hockey team and will not return this season, a school official confirmed on May 5.

Six weeks removed from a 2007-08 campaign in which he served as the Terriers' primary netminder, the junior-to-be departed a program that will welcome two freshmen goalies this fall in Kieran Millan (Alberta Junior Hockey League) and Grant Rollheiser (British Columbia Hockey League).

"Our staff has decided that we move in a different direction in regards to our goaltending," BU coach Jack Parker said in a statement issued May 6. "We wish Brett the best in his future endeavors."

Millan and Rollheiser will join sophomore-to-be Adam Kraus, who appeared in two games last year, to comprise the Terriers' goaltending corps this season.

Bennett, a touted recruit coming out of the United States National Development Program, landed the starting job last January following an ankle injury to senior Karson Gillespie. Despite steady improvement -- undoubtedly aided by the man-to-man defensive coverage installed by Parker in late December -- Bennett struggled in his role as the successor to All-American John Curry, who graduated in 2007.

A fifth-round draft choice of the Phoenix Coyotes in the 2006 National Hockey League Entry Draft, the 20-year-old Bennett posted a 16-10-3 record in 31 appearances last season behind a 2.63 goals-against average and a Hockey East-worst .888 save percentage.

The Williamsville, N.Y., native's best stretch of the season coincided with BU's second-half surge, during which Bennett registered shutouts against the University of Maine (Feb. 16), the University of Massachusetts-Amherst (Feb. 29) and Providence College (March 6).

"I thought there were times when Bennett looked like he was gonna get to a point where he was coming along," Parker said in an April interview. "He looked better, a little more relaxed and a little more confident.

"But at the same time, I still don't think we got great goaltending in the second semester. We were not happy with the goaltending all year. It was a little bit better, and we got by with what we got. Benny got better as the season progressed, but there was a lot of pressure on him when Gillespie went out. A whole bunch of things added up to the fact that it got better, but still wasn't good enough."

The Indiana Ice of the United States Hockey League wasted little time capitalizing on Bennett's release, selecting him with the 10th overall pick in the league's 2008 Entry Draft on May 14.

"He is a proven goaltender with major collegiate experience," Ice Vice President of Player Personnel Jim Paliafito said, according to the team's website.

Bennett was expected to participate in the Ice's 2008 Main Tryout Camp, held June 5-8 at Carmel Ice Skadium in Carmel, Ind.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 19 2012, 5:37 PM 

NCAA rules have changed many times over past 30 years. My word of wisdom is any contract can be broken. Rules are different between D1 schools depending on funding - state v private.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 19 2012, 5:42 PM 

5:01, I also went thru a very similar experience with 1 of my boys. my "advisor" wouldn't return my calls. when I finally caught up with him he told that that's the way it is, it was all in our "contract". I started asking around and found our story wasn't unusual - that list is just a casual one I've kept when this happened to us. I have 2 others and a daughter so paying out of pocket for him to stay in the States wasn't an option. it worked for our good friend's son so that's why I'm not totally against the NCAA. buyer beware.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 19 2012, 6:47 PM 

I have no problem with players using the NCAA card to dictate where they play in the OHL. OHL is just as bad as the NCAA with respects to making boat loads of money off the backs of these kids and giving nothing back.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 19 2012, 7:40 PM 

6:47, first, only a handful or so players can actually play the NCAA card effectively. if your kid is not a top 20 pick then go ahead and threaten to play this card. you will either buckle and report where drafted, or stall your development in T2 while waiting for college.

second, if everyone went where they wanted there would only be 3 teams in the league: London, Kitchener and Windsor. not a great model for development or league viability is it.

third, the Hunters, Reichel/Boughner, Spott, Cameron, Burnett, Hawerchuk etc. would say that what they gave you was development in the greatest development league in the world; not exactly "nothing". here are the stats from last year's 1st round NHL draft where ELC's are worth multi-millions. it drops significantly even if you are drafted in the 2nd round:
- 4 Americans
- 3 USHL
- 1 NCAA
- 16 Canadians
- 21 of 30 players were selected from the CHL.
- the 1 NCAA player, Oleksiak (an LBD Canadian born kid with dual citizenship), decomitted is playing for Niagara and represented Canada at this past WJC's.
- read the following USCHO article and note that the whopping 4 (out of 30 first round players!) that were NCAA linked players they claim, 3 have decommited and are now playing in the OHL - Oleksiak, Miller, and Murphy:
http://www.uscho.com/2011/06/24/four-players-with-college-ties-selected-in-first-round-of-nhl-entry-draft-matches-lowest-in-a-decade/
- it is evident that the best want to develop with and play against the best.

lastly, Brampton (Hodgson, Duchene, etc), Mississauga (Smith-Pelly, Cizikas, etc), Kingston (Gudbranson, etc) are not making "boatloads of money".

irronnically, it's the top 3, ie London, Windsor, Kitchener that are the richest teams making "boatloads" which are the destination of choice for the Domi's, Marcantuoni's, Skinner's and other NCAA card playing draft manipulators.

please try to educate yourself before spouting.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 19 2012, 7:58 PM 

Keep drinking the kool-aide my friend. Brampton is a bad place, worst lease in the OHL, but own is worth hundreds of million so he does not care, the real value in all these franchises is the value of the franchise, they keep going up and up. The players get $60.00 per week, in 1968 when I played I got $45 per week! and teams were worth nothing, no TV money, minimal souvineer sales, much lower ticket prices ect. Please educate yourself as well.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 19 2012, 9:14 PM 

the "own" of the Battalion is C Scott Abbott co-founder of Trivial Pursuits for your info. he is around 80. it is known that when he passes on that the family will sell the team as it bleeds money.

you see genius, the asset value is very high (thank god as that keeps the daddy owners out), however years of operating in the red have left the net profit of the asset sale less their annual operating deficits a big fat NEGATIVE red.

I will not inform you what the value of a base level or poor franchise is, nor what a London or Windsor is worth. nor will I tell you what the annual operating budget of an OHL team. suffice it to say that the Batts with their 1800 avg per game and Missy with 2100 per game plus "souvineer sales" and corporate sponsorship does NOT cover half of their annual budget. as for "TV money", there is no direct money to the team from the local Rogers feeds. Rogers Sportsnet cut the CHL a cheque for a very small sched plus the Mem Cup coverage. this is divided by 60 teams and is not saving any of the poorer franchises.

player stipends are a not a major cost, but front office and hockey operations staff are. and you are wrong about Brampton's lease it's expiring in 5 years whereas the IceDogs/Majors lease is expiring in 10. the Majors is actually worse so you were wrong again on this as they get absolutely NO cut of concessions and must remit to Missy/Hazel $3 off each ticket sold in addition to ice and building rental costs. compare this against the Hunters cut of concessions and 9000 avg per game. but there I go educating a pin head again.

btw, Eugene Melnyk who owns both the Majors and Senators has his team up for sale - you already knew that right? and what the asking price is, right? he has not made a nickel since buying the team from the school in 2001 nor moving them to Missy in the last 5 years. to the contrary some years he has cut close to a 7 figure check for the annual short-fall. but there I go educating an obvious N54 klnow-it-all again. finally, as per the Abbott family, his net profit will be zippo when he sells.

if I'm drinking kool-aid then your high on drinking your own urine. you know sweet fuck all about the business dude.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 19 2012, 9:27 PM 

9:14 thanks for the education...
March 19 2012, 4:13 PM is that you Don?

Anonymous
(no login)

March 19 2012, 9:41 PM 

You got me

Anonymous
(no login)

March 19 2012, 9:45 PM 

"The only think you can do"... sounds like Don?

Anonymous
(no login)

March 19 2012, 10:06 PM 

Okay shit head 9:14, next time I golf with Battallion Pres at Devils Pulpit I will tell him he knows shit, that he does not have the worst lease in the OHL, that the OHL commissioner is full of shit for telling him that, that the overall value of the franchise is in a net loss, as the team president he is a idiot. I will tell my friend this because I read it from an expert on N54, you are a knob, so pretend to know something about the business of hockey somewhere else.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 19 2012, 10:12 PM 

sorry my accent some time come out when I type

Anonymous
(no login)

March 19 2012, 10:27 PM 

that's not all that comes from your mouth.....

your golf acquaintance (because he's not really your friend there bub) is known to exaggerate and whine.

of course a boot licking dufus like you eager to share a brush with self-entitled greatness deep throats every whine he lets out without question or hesitation.

keep your zero knowledge and subservient fellatio foreign mouth for the glass bangers.

although no doubt even they see right thru you and are unimpressed by your deep throating of your so called friends.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 19 2012, 10:30 PM 

very impressive, did your child help you compose that? Of course the president of the team would lie and bs, I guess your hockey connection is cleaning the toilets at the rink, keep it up loser.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 19 2012, 10:39 PM 

if I lied please show me where.

your facts are: a guy I golf with told me so.

what happened to "they're making boatloads of money"?

I'm still waiting otherwise keep the weak ass barbs for your 2 glass banging buddies that still consider you their hero.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 19 2012, 10:43 PM 

btw, I won't tell you what my connection is but why don't you call your best friend and tell us what the asking price for Missy is and what the electrical dude in Barrie was asking for his. then ask your BFF what his operating budget is cuz we all want to know hard facts from the one and only source.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 20 2012, 10:00 AM 

Lots of good info here although I don't know what you guys are arguing about.

How bout we get back to the draft coming in 2 short weeks! Here's a mock draft.

1. Erie- Connor McDavid- F
2. Kingston- Joshua Ho-Sang- F
3. Peterborough- Eric Cornel- F
4. Soo- Robert Fabbri- F
5. Windsor- Jared McCann- F
6. Guelph- Roland McKeown- D
7. Oshawa- Michael Dal Colle- F
8. Owen Sound- Brett Hargrave- F
9. Kingston- Jacob Middleton- D
10. Belleville- Samuel Bennett- F
11. Mississauga- Damien Bourne- F
12. Saginaw- Dylan DiPerna- D
13. Sarnia- Dante Salituro- F
14. Sudbury- Andrew Abou-Assaly- F
15. Brampton- Spencer Watson- F
16. Barrie- Brook Hiddink- F
17. Kitchener- Ryan MacInnis- F
18. Ottawa- Liam Herbst- G
19. Niagara- Jeremiah Addison- F
20. Niagara- Jonathan Duchesne- D
21. Plymouth- Dylan Larkin- F
22. London- Jaden Lindo- F

Anonymous
(no login)

March 20 2012, 10:09 AM 

McKeown going 2nd to Kingston. JHS drops to 5th, maybe farther....

Anonymous
(no login)

March 20 2012, 10:09 AM 

JHS going to Windsor deal was pretty much locked up at OHL Cup

Anonymous
(no login)

March 20 2012, 10:12 AM 

The only way JHS drops to 5th/Windsor is if there's a cooked deal in place.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 20 2012, 10:13 AM 

Word is that there are a NUMBER of deals being "cooked" as we speak....

Anonymous
(no login)

March 20 2012, 10:18 AM 

No way McKeown goes higher than JHS

Anonymous
(no login)

March 20 2012, 10:18 AM 

Wait and see.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 20 2012, 10:28 AM 

Mc D going to Erie
McK going to Kingston - done deal
Then Fabbri
the mc Cann
then Nick Schm - going to Windsor to play with brother
then JHS

Middleton committed to Owen Sound

Anonymous
(no login)

March 20 2012, 11:22 AM 

How about rounds 2-5?
Whats where it gets tough.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 20 2012, 11:26 AM 

Then it becomes more about team needs and individual team grades of players.

My son is considered a late round pick, graded a C at mid-term.

Frankly, what I have clearly learned sifting through all the commentary this minor midget season is that the hockey establishment is all about the first round. They are the great hope for every age group. The balance? Some may emerge later on, but generally are more or left to their own devices and are not considered to have much of a future in the game. Not bitter, just stating a fact. Not much commentary post round 1.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 20 2012, 11:48 AM 

agree 100%. so why not just draft 22 players and let the rest try out for any team they want over the next few years,
instead of have them rot with a team that has no plan to develop the player.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 20 2012, 11:54 AM 

Great point, the draft for MM should be 2-3 rounds maximum, then work on the development of `Midget program`with less team than we currently have. Look at maybe 3-4 GTHL teams, 3 SCTA Teams, 3 ETA Teams and 2 Allaince teams. You would then have the basis for a very formidable league and more importantly a league where the undrafted 16-17 year old kids could develop their game to a higher level much better than the current system of a diluted midget program or even worse `riding the pine`on a Junior A or Junior B team.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 20 2012, 12:00 PM 

because everyone would want to play for London, Kitchener and Windsor.

also, I'm not totally disagreeing with 11:26 however there are a number of excellent players drafted between the 2nd and 6th round.

these kids have can excellent careers in O and many are even drafted into the show. if not then they have their education package to fall back on.

remember outside of the big 3, the 17 other teams rely on drafting to be competitive. Owen Sound was considered undesirable for many years (before and after the Bobby Ryan era) then last year they were champs.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 20 2012, 12:06 PM 

11:54, the HCDM has already addressed 16 year olds riding the pines in T2. as a result major midget and juvie/U-21 is stronger than ever. with the OJHL finally addressing its diluted inferior product this will become even stronger.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 20 2012, 12:36 PM 

Rumour has it that two more teams will be de-commissioned in addition to Vaughan, Brampton and Huntsville that were recently contracted.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 20 2012, 12:56 PM 

10:28 You have McCann to who? What about Cornel to Peterboro? Fabbri to Soo is expected. JHS won't slip by Windsor, no chance. How do you figure Middleton to OS?

Anonymous
(no login)

March 20 2012, 1:07 PM 

12:36, that is great news for hockey development in Ontario.

12:56, right there on all your comments especially regarding JHS. he is "Talyor" made (pardon the weak pun) for the Spits.

I can't believe Kingston would pass on him however McKeown at this point in time is the 96 player more physically able to transition and log regular minutes in the O. not to mention that he his a stud/extremely talented too. if this does indeed happen, then they figure they can still get a flashy forward at 10th and why not pick-up a the best D available in the draft at 2nd.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 20 2012, 1:08 PM 

my bad: "Taylor" made...

Anonymous
(no login)

March 20 2012, 1:17 PM 

12:06
Who wants to pay to play after already paying for 8 years?
What to go back to a fuked up midget AAA program laced with kids who are only on the team
to satisfy numbers?
U21 Juvy WTF?
Never heard of anyone coming out of either "development" league.
Is this a GMHL plug?
1st year players getting limited ice has always been the norm unless you are exceptional(round 1-2)
To suggest any of the above is better especially Midget hockey seems to suggest
you could be a "its not fair" parent, life gets pretty rough after MM.
Good Luck

Anonymous
(no login)

March 20 2012, 1:22 PM 

1:07. Kingston should be able to get Bennett with their 2nd pick. Maybe they like one of the big Rebel wingers ( I don't). If Hosang decides to buy into the team concept he could be the steal of the draft at #5 and I can't see Rychel letting him go. Middleton got exposed in OHL Cup. When playing against the GTHL clubs (not even the Marlies or Rebels ) he wasn't such a stud. If the London Knights only lost one game all year out there it tells you how much tougher the GTHL was this year. London would not have been better than fifth in the G. Marlies handled the Knights very easily everytime they played.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 20 2012, 1:36 PM 

Marlies handled everyone very easily until...sorry, that's for another thread!

Anonymous
(no login)

March 20 2012, 2:46 PM 

Rychel has a fuck*n handshake deal in place with JHS everyone saw it the guy went out of his way to talk about the kid. Gilmour taking McK he has told everyone around him so and parents onside just ask them. CM done deal with Erie. MCCann and Fabri deals done too. This is WORST kept secret on top 5 I have ever seen. There is no mystery this year.

Anyone hear who is going 6 to 10?

Anonymous
(no login)

March 20 2012, 2:51 PM 

1:17, wow, I'll try to address all your points. btw, you sound angry bro. lighten up.

"Who wants to pay to play after already paying for 8 years?"
> if your kid isn't 1 of the roughly 60 UA's next season in the O then you will continue to pay, or your kid will quit hockey, or possibly turn to high-school hockey.

"What to go back to a fuked up midget AAA program laced with kids who are only on the team to satisfy numbers?"
> next year there will only 24 T2 teams, possibly less as per 12:36. for now that means a max of 48 16 year olds will play T2. roughly half will be O assignees. the T2 club gets approx a $2K development fee for this. they really like the cash and get a very decent prospect too. the other spots will either be taken by blue chip prospects that have elected the NCAA route, or will be sold as "sponsorship" to dads of dusters. I will let you tell us which group you belong to, but chances are you will pay. Oh and btw, unlike the O T2 you still pay to play although a hell of a lot less than you were before, so don't put away your cheque book just yet.

"U21 Juvy WTF?"
> it's out there. with T2 contracting more kids will end up here, maybe your kid too.

"Never heard of anyone coming out of either "development" league."
> yeah U21 is rare, but not impossible. the Canuck's Alex Burrows was neither drafted by the Q or show, and was playing juvie at 18. he was a 19 year old walk-on in the Q; it's a remarkable story.

as for no one ever coming out of midget hockey here's a list of NHL names for you to research:

Mike Richards (Los Angeles)
Wayne Simmonds (Philadelphia)
Chris Pronger (Philadelphia)
Matt Stajan (Calgary)
Matt Martin (NY Islanders)
Mark Katic (NY Islanders)
Matt D'Agostini (St. Louis)
Cody Hodgson (as a UA, Buffalo)
Kevin Klein (Nashville)
Joel Ward (Nashville)
Sean Avery (NY Rangers)
Richard Jackman (Florida)
Shawn Thornton (Boston)
Ryan Johnson (Chicago)
Todd Bertuzzi (Detroit)
Kris Draper (Detroit)
Matt Moulson (NY Islanders)
Chris Stewart (St. Louis)
Nick Spaling (Nashville)
Rich Peverley (Boston)
Mark Giordano (Calgary)
Theo Peckham (Edmonton)
Zac Dalpe (Carolina)
Steve Mason (Columbus)
Brandon Prust (NY Rangers)
Mike Hoffman (Ottawa)
Glen Metropolit (logged 407 NHL games and is still playing in Europe)
Geoffrey Schemitsch (still in the O, drafted by Tampa Bay)

my intention is NOT to build false expectations, however to say that your and everyone's kid's dreams are not dead by any means if he's not drafted in the first few rounds on April 7th. some of the players above weren't even drafted in the O (these are all Ontario boys).

"Is this a GMHL plug?"
> seriously? let's just file this one under angry.

"1st year players getting limited ice has always been the norm unless you are exceptional(round 1-2)"
> it really depends on the team, however approx 2/3rds of all O UA's will see regular ice regardless of where they are drafted.

"To suggest any of the above is better especially Midget hockey seems to suggest you could be a "its not fair" parent, life gets pretty rough after MM.
Good Luck"
> I suspect this applies much more to you than I.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 20 2012, 2:53 PM 

fabri to SOO done if he is on board

Anonymous
(no login)

March 20 2012, 3:01 PM 

1:22, good post. agreed.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 20 2012, 3:08 PM 

JSP from COW is a diamond in the rough I tell ya.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 20 2012, 3:11 PM 

2:51 terrific post....thanks.

Once again, facts are your friend.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 20 2012, 3:33 PM 

if you don't get drafted in the first three rounds, go play tier II jr. A and hope for the NCAA to come calling as you have very little chance of playing in the O. Get your boys an education.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 20 2012, 3:54 PM 

Hopefully that education will allow your boy the chance to learn some grammar.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 20 2012, 4:50 PM 

Is it McCann or Cornel third to Peterboro? Have heard both, yet Fabbri to Soo and JHS to Spits is a given.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 20 2012, 5:11 PM 

i thin k it is mc cann to petes. that was going round rink. erie missing boat with mcd. jhs should go #1.

anonymous
(no login)

good story

March 20 2012, 6:16 PM 

John Madden story should tell every kid that hard work and luck is what its all about. John undrafted by the O, not drafted by the NHL, went to Michigan and was taught by Red Berrinson, just so happens New Jersey 1st rounder Morrison there playing Lou Lam GM would come to games to see his player. Lou starts to notice John and finally offers him a contract to play for Albany River Rats. Lucky for John some injuries on the big club and he gets the call. Never looked back, has a couple of cups and awards signed the big 5 yr deal for 25 m so he is set and still contributing. Every O team passed him over and so did every NHL team and in his prime he was a pretty impactful player in NHL. Dont let the kids dream die because of some scouts opinion, prove them wrong.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 20 2012, 7:45 PM 

Same for Steve Thomas, not drafted in the OHL, not drafted in NHL, seemed to do all right. Don't give up, lots of choices, Europe.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 21 2012, 9:11 AM 

2:51 Cody played up a year

Anonymous
(no login)

March 21 2012, 9:14 AM 

JSP from COW is a diamond in the rough I tell ya.

No dad

Anonymous
(no login)

March 21 2012, 10:31 AM 

So you've been told your kid is going in the second round. Had calls from 4 teams. He has interest from NCAA too. Which way do you encourage him to go?

Anonymous
(no login)

March 21 2012, 10:34 AM 

9:11, I am aware of that. you missed that I indicated he was an underage player.

the point is that he was drafted out of major midget. a level 90% of people, inlcuding 1:17, feel is inferior and will lead to nothing. it didn't hurt Cody's development in any way.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 21 2012, 10:45 AM 

School school school the way to go

Anonymous
(no login)

March 21 2012, 10:52 AM 

wow, it's not even Apr 7th and you're bitter already. good times.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 21 2012, 10:56 AM 

2nd round could be an NCAA star, solid OHLer or a nobody.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 21 2012, 11:01 AM 

steve shutt was undrafted
there are not many of these types of guys but there are always a few that beat the odds
then again playing with odds is by far better chance

Anonymous
(no login)

March 21 2012, 11:03 AM 

10:56, 10:31 doesn't pass the smell test. then lo and behold 10:45. you catch my drift?

Anonymous
(no login)

March 21 2012, 11:20 AM 

Cornel dad from Peterborough

Anonymous
(no login)

March 21 2012, 1:09 PM 

How many players were drafted out of midget last year?

Anonymous
(no login)

March 21 2012, 1:30 PM 

Mid to later rounds

Anonymous
(no login)

March 21 2012, 2:08 PM 

One `92 goalie and 4 `95 skaters drafted in 2011 draft.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 21 2012, 2:11 PM 

March 20 2012, 2:51 PM
Comments?
One `92 goalie and 4 `95 skaters drafted in 2011 draft.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 21 2012, 7:23 PM 

Quit trying to PIMP your kid it's disgusting

Anonymous
(no login)

March 21 2012, 7:59 PM 

Desousa is in top 20

Anonymous
(no login)

March 22 2012, 8:11 AM 

DD not in top 20

Anonymous
(no login)

March 22 2012, 8:11 AM 

DD not in top 20

Anonymous
(no login)

March 22 2012, 8:12 AM 

The list has omitted Cornell which will go top 8

Anonymous
(no login)

March 22 2012, 8:43 AM 

Tanner Pearson was invited to the Colts camp and sent home. Look at him now. Got invited back the following year, made the team played for U-20 Team Canada last X-mas and now is a top pick for the NHL. you don't have to make it the first year, just keep working hard and someone will remember you. I don't understand these idiots that say you only have one kick at the cat. Good Luck to all hockey players.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 22 2012, 8:46 AM 

Do you think scouts read this because I need to start pimping my kid

Anonymous
(no login)

March 22 2012, 8:48 AM 

No but just because he sucks at hockey this year try again next year and hopefully the other kids suck more and he will get another chance. lol

Anonymous
(no login)

March 22 2012, 8:49 AM 

second thought your kid will suck more next year. forget it. give up now and save some $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Anonymous
(no login)

March 22 2012, 8:51 AM 

What's your name. we'll make it easy for the scouts and they don't have to waste their time with your kid...

Anonymous
(no login)

March 22 2012, 9:44 AM 

Oh my kid is getting drafted

Anonymous
(no login)

March 22 2012, 9:53 AM 

2:11pm from yesterday, I just read your post.

I am 2:51 from the day before. what are you asking me to comment on?

Anonymous
(no login)

March 22 2012, 9:55 AM 

8:51 Can't use names on here, but his initials are CMcD. Plays for a top team in the G. Do you think he has a chance?

Anonymous
(no login)

March 22 2012, 9:57 AM 

lol!

Anonymous
(no login)

March 26 2012, 9:57 AM 

Best thread I've read on N54 in years!

Anonymous
(no login)

March 26 2012, 10:24 AM 

RF should go #1 for showing up and putting on a great display on ice....

Anonymous
(no login)

March 26 2012, 1:32 PM 

8 marlies in first round

Anonymous
(no login)

March 26 2012, 1:37 PM 

There's a good chance of that happening.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 26 2012, 1:55 PM 

So where do the rest of the Marlies go? How about the rest of the Rebels Flyers or Vaughn? If you read the HF boards after the 1st round there's not many GTHL kids going anywhere.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 26 2012, 1:55 PM 

Midget.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 26 2012, 2:07 PM 

1 – Erie: Connor McDavid – How can you not go with him?
2 – Kngston: Roland Mckeown – Lack of defense in Kingston, Ho-Sang’s attitude may hurt him.
3 – Soo: Fabbri – Fast, skilled, leadership qualities, and family ties with the Soo
4 – Peterborough: Dal Colle – Lack of big centremen with the Petes, although I could see McCann go here as well
5 – Windsor: Ho-Sang - He’s waited long enough
6 – Guelph: McCann - Garlent and McCann may be lead the young talent in Guelph alongside Kosmachuk and Finn
7 – Mississauga: Middleton – Team needs defence
8 – Oshawa: Cornel – Another team that needs defence, should be able to wait until later for that though
9 – Kingston: Herbst – With Bobkov gone, they don’t have much in the system for goaltending.
10 – Belleville: Bennett – Could be a stretch to pick him in the top 10, but good skating winger on that Olympic size ice at Yardmen
11 – Saginaw: Hargrave – Saginaw will be losing their big bodied second line next year and will be left with the majority of small forwards.
12 – Owen Sound: Addison – Feel like this kid is going to have one of those breakthrough OHL cups and wouldn’t he be nice to add in the mix of young forwards in Owen Sound
13 – Sarnia: Hiddink – another forward to go to Sarnia with high end numbers, somewhat local kid too
14 – Sudbury: Watson – player to add to this hard working, skilled team
15 – Brampton: Bourne – Big bodied player could work well with Stan Butler’s type of hockey
16 – Barrie: Magyar – Barrie could pull him away from Ohio State, like what they did with Schiefele and Cornell. Barrie could use the bigger body as well.
17 – Kitchener: Abou-assaly – Kitchener seems to like their players from the Ottawa area, they will also be ing losing overaged forwards
18 – Ottawa: Petti –Ottawa will be losing forwards as well next year, not the greatest feet ever, but hey look at Toffoli
19 – Niagara: Schmalz - Big D-man with good numbers. Dougie Hamilton prodigy perhaps? Also good to have a big body in that tiny barn of a rink.
20 – Plymouth: Larkin – Detroit player. Wouldn’t be the first committed kid to go to Plymouth
21 – Niagara: Sanvido – Teach this kid to hit and fight and he is an absolute monster and scary to player to play against on the back end in that rink
22 – London: Cramarossa – Could be a little high to pick him here, but you never know. Good hard working player that I think will turn out better than his brother

Anonymous
(no login)

March 26 2012, 2:15 PM 

In my opinion Petti from STA will wash out quickly. Just don't like his game at the next level. First rounder, really?

Anonymous
(no login)

March 26 2012, 2:18 PM 

Okay Marlie dad u can drop the 5th rounders back where they belong.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 26 2012, 2:27 PM 

Are the Marlies holding a Draft Party and is the new Agent to the stars hosting it?!?!

Anonymous
(no login)

March 26 2012, 2:29 PM 

19 – Niagara: Schmalz - Big D-man with good numbers. Dougie Hamilton prodigy perhaps? Also good to have a big body in that tiny barn of a rink.
what are you smoking?
he is a forward dip shit/

what the hell do you know, go back to pumping gas retard....

Anonymous
(no login)

March 26 2012, 2:31 PM 

Likely referring to Schmaltz from the U.S.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 26 2012, 2:36 PM 

To the guys using Steve Shutt & Stumpy as examples-that was long ago in a far different minor hockey and scouting system.

There are less and less undrafted players making a career of hockey each year.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 26 2012, 3:04 PM 

Actually, he's half right. Jordan Smaltz is a '93 D committed to UND, 6'2, 170. Not exactly a "big Dman". His younger brother Nick is a 96 forward, 5'11, 160 who is lighting it up in the USHL and is the youngest player in that league.

To expect either one of them to come if drafted is dreaming in technicolor. No doubt someone might pick Nick and try to talk him and his family out of going the same route as the older boy but I doubt it. And you sure aren't gonna throw away a first round pick with fingers crossed. They already tried and failed to bring the older one over.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 26 2012, 3:09 PM 

Btw, the guy hasn't even got the draft order right and it's a copy/paste job from HF Boards. You'd think the posters there were the font of wisdom. Can't even get the order of teams right much less the eligible players judging by the above. Lol

Anonymous
(no login)

March 26 2012, 3:20 PM 

3:09, just settle down.

I won't be an apologist for whoever posted that list here, or for what goes on in HF, however the lists on HF in the "96 Draft Prospects" thread have had the drafting order accurate when the season was over.

ya think maybe the Schmaltz gaff should have clued you in?

Anonymous
(no login)

March 26 2012, 3:26 PM 

btw, I would be surprised if Schmaltz bolts to the O in time (although if London drafts him the $50K decommit fee to the USNTDP is a non-issue). the Palmieri brothers each took a different route. and as playing in the USHL as a 15 year olds, D'Angelo and Ebert each left there for the O. so the only certainty is to expect the unexpected from these US elite kids.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 26 2012, 3:27 PM 

* I would "not" be surprised.....back to the salt mines for me!

Anonymous
(no login)

March 26 2012, 3:30 PM 

Must be fun for the OHL teams trying to get a straight answer nowadays.

Seems to me the obvious answer is to make no deals and simply draft in order. Good luck with that! happy.gif

Anonymous
(no login)

March 26 2012, 3:33 PM 

I agree no deals, and OHL teams should not be permitted to trade 1st round picks for 12 months, if the kid says he is going NCAA, go.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 26 2012, 3:36 PM 

Good list and makes sense. I see Guelph going with Middleton over McCann at 6. McCann might go to Guelph if he can convert to the wing. They have Garlent & Dickenson (both 95's) at center and need D due to losing 2 OA's both D. The only other one I see is Herbst to Kingston, cant see a goalie taken in the 1st with all the players available. To big of a risk and finding a 93 or 92 OA goalie is pretty easy and will help the team instantly.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 26 2012, 3:37 PM 

Not to mention there are apparently some good goalies available in the Import Draft, where Kingston picks high, 3rd?

Anonymous
(no login)

March 26 2012, 3:47 PM 

Nick declined the US NTDP. No fee needed. Going to Windsor next year to play with his Brother.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 26 2012, 3:51 PM 

ill bet by left nut herbts at 9 wont happen

Anonymous
(no login)

March 26 2012, 4:02 PM 

Why would I want your left nut. I have two good ones, thanks.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 26 2012, 4:04 PM 

3:47, ok, gotcha. thx.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 26 2012, 4:11 PM 

everyone wants a spare. im sure phil kessel wouldve taken that deal

Anonymous
(no login)

March 26 2012, 4:47 PM 

The fee wouldn't be needed for Nick but for Jordan who is a 93 and committed to UND where father, uncles and where he says, at least, he intends to go.

Kingston can pick a goalie with either of their early 2nd round picks and can go for either Herbst/Hacket. Too many high end forwards in the first 15 or so picks to take a goalie. In fact, there are too many to imagine more than RM for D in the first 15 and there may be a first round with only 2, maybe 3 D picked. JHS may be there for Guelph to give you an idea of the forward depth and as desperate as Oshawa is for D are you gonna pass up Hargrave, Bourne or Bennett to do it?

It'll be interesting to see.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 26 2012, 4:57 PM 

Why would Jordan need a fee. Hes playing in Green Bay. Never once skated for the NTDP.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 26 2012, 5:04 PM 

not Jordan, Nick. if Nick has signed with the USNTDP then there is a $50K release to get out before the year is up.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 26 2012, 5:06 PM 

...3:47 is saying that Nick has declined the NTDP so no fee is necessary.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 26 2012, 5:09 PM 

and there are no fees associated with NCAA decommits, just CHI crushed feelings.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 26 2012, 5:10 PM 

...although they are very used to it; adios Paul Kelly! wink.gif

Anonymous
(no login)

March 26 2012, 5:32 PM 

4:11 - LMAO!!!!! Gots to hold on to'em tight!!!

Anonymous
(no login)

March 26 2012, 5:57 PM 

ZB from COW def first round!!!!

Anonymous
(no login)

March 26 2012, 6:16 PM 

Big mistake if he is, you cant float in the OHL.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 26 2012, 6:29 PM 

1 CM
2 MCK
3 RF

These 3 picks were finalized at ohl cup.

heard mccann going 4th and hosang going 5th

who goes 6th to 10th?

Anonymous
(no login)

March 26 2012, 6:33 PM 

heard you heard wrong, thats what I heard

Anonymous
(no login)

March 26 2012, 6:42 PM 

http://www.thescoutingreport.org/2012-ohl-priority-selection-1st-mock-draft-2/

1. Erie Otters – LC Connor McDavid

HT: 5.11 | WT: 170 lbs. | Toronto Marlboros MM

After being given exceptional status by the OHL, Newmarket, Ont. native Connor McDavid will be at the forefront of the Otter’s rebuild. McDavid is without a doubt, the top player in Minor Midget this season and will be an impact player from Day 1. While not physically overwhelming, McDavid is a dominating offensive force who is equally effective in the offensive zone or off the rush. He’s a tremendous skater with great acceleration and agility, which helps him avoid a lot of body contact due to his elusiveness. With the franchise’s future in doubt, McDavid will go a long way towards not only helping the Otters stay in Erie, but leading the team back to relevance.

2011 1st Round Pick: F Stephen Harper (12)
2010 1st Round Pick: F Chris Marchese (11)
2009 1st Round Pick: F David Broll (10)
2008 1st Round Pick: F Greg McKegg (2)
———-

2. Kingston Frontenacs – RD Roland McKeown

HT: 6.01 | WT: 180 lbs. | Toronto Marlboros MM

While Josh Ho-Sang may seem like a good fit for the Fronts, passing up on a franchise defenseman would be a major mistake, especially for a team that is thin on the blue line. McKeown is a throwback defenseman who looks like more of a “rover” than a traditional defenseman. His dynamic skating ability and solid all-around game make him an intriguing player whose style is reminiscent of former #2 pick Michael Del Zotto. McKeown is a character kid who will be a huge component of the Fronts resurgence next year.

2011 1st Round Pick: F Max Domi (8)
2010 1st Round Pick: D Alex Gudbranson (10)
2009 1st Round Pick: F Alan Quine (2)
2008 1st Round Pick: D Erik Gudbranson (4)
———-

3. Peterborough Petes – RC Eric Cornel

HT: 6.02 | WT: 175 lbs. | Upper Canada Cyclones MM

Cornel doesn’t have the same level of hype as some of the other players in the draft, but make no mistake; he may very well be the top 96 when it’s all said and done. Playing on a team that lacked the natural talent many of the top MM teams have, Cornel was dominant all season and was an offensive force despite teams keying in on him. Cornel has great size and has an intriguing combination of skating ability and offensive creativity. Cornel has tremendous hockey sense and is very dangerous off the rush or during offensive zone pressure. He does a great job of finding open teammates and also has a strong ability to generate his own scoring chances. It will be interesting to see where Peterborough sees him fitting in on their roster – either at centre or on the wing – but he’s going to be an impact player in the OHL at 16 and will be a great piece of the Petes resurgence next year.

2011 1st Round Pick: F Nicholas Ritchie (2)
2010 1st Round Pick: D Slater Koekkoek (7)
2009 1st Round Pick: F Matthew Puempel (6)
2008 1st Round Pick: F Ryan Spooner (5)
———-

4. Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds – LC Robby Fabbri

HT: 5.10 | WT: 155 lbs. | Mississauga Rebels MM

After an extremely disappointing season in the Soo, the Greyhounds need to reload quickly to capitalize on a limited window of opportunity with 19-year-olds Nick Cousins, Ryan Sproul, and Andrew Fritsch. With ties to the area, Fabbri should have no issues with reporting to the Soo and will add an offensive punch to a lineup that struggled to score at times. As one of the elite players of the crop, Fabbri is a tremendous offensive talent who has explosive speed and the ability to make plays at high speed. He makes up for a lack of size by competing hard and never taking a shift off. His exciting style of play and positive demeanour should make him a fan favourite in the Soo.

2011 1st Round Pick: D Darnell Nurse (3)
2010 1st Round Pick: D Gianluca Curcuruto (14)
2009 1st Round Pick: F Daniel Catenacci (1)
2008 1st Round Pick: D Brock Beukeboom (18)
———-

5. Windsor Spitfires – RC Joshua Ho-Sang

HT: 6.00 | WT: 162 lbs. | Toronto Marlboros MM

After eclipsing 100 points with the ’95 Toronto Marlies a year ago, not many would have envisioned that Josh Ho- Sang would slip all the way to #5. This season, however, has been a bumpy ride at the best of times with concerns about teamwork, attitude, and coachability all coming into play. While these concerns are valid, there is no denying the sheer offensive talent that Ho-Sang possesses. Ho-Sang is one of the top skaters in the draft and his stickhandling and shooting ability rival that of NHL players. The big question mark with Ho-Sang will be whether or not he can learn to be a team player in the OHL and maximize his potential.

2011 1st Round Pick: F Jordan Maletta (13)
2010 1st Round Pick: D Grant Webermin (20)
2009 1st Round Pick: F Austen Brassard (20)
2008 1st Round Pick: D Cam Fowler (17)
———-

6. Guelph Storm – LW Jared McCann

HT: 6.00 | WT: 165 lbs. | London Jr. Knights Gold MM

McCann had a great year after coming over to London and was the Alliance’s player of the year. He’s a very strong skater and is especially dynamic off the rush where he utilizes his acceleration and speed to generate scoring chances. McCann competes hard and is not afraid to play a physical game and mix it up in the corners – although he will need to add some strength in order to play this style at the OHL level. If you’re looking for some concerns with McCann, something to note is that he lacks some of the natural creativity you might expect from a high-end forward and seems to be more comfortable generating scoring chances off the rush.

2011 1st Round Pick: F Hunter Garlent (10)
2010 1st Round Pick: D Matthew Finn (12)
2009 1st Round Pick: F Carter Sandlak (11)
2008 1st Round Pick: F Cody McNaughton (12)
———-

7. Oshawa Generals – D Jacob Middleton

HT: 6.03 | WT: 185 lbs. | Huron-Perth Lakers MM

The Generals have lacked a dominating force on the defensive end for a few years now, and they will look to rectify that problem by adding one of the true blue-chip defensemen in the draft. Middleton is an impressive player who will be ready to make an impact as a Top-4 defenseman out of training camp. With great natural size, Middleton is a very strong skater and is very adept at leading the rush. He moves the puck very efficiently and displays a strong ability to identify passing lanes and make good decisions. He is effective in defensive zone coverage and his physical style of play will allow him to play against OHL forwards as a 16-year-old. Offensive upside is there, but Middleton will probably be eased into that role as he gets his feet wet.

2011 1st Round Pick: F Cole Cassels (16)
2010 1st Round Pick: F Scott Laughton (3)
2009 1st Round Pick: F Boone Jenner (4)
2008 1st Round Pick: G Kevin Bailie (16)
———-

8. Owen Sound Attack – LW Sam Bennett

HT: 6.00 | WT: 165 lbs. | Toronto Marlboros MM

Assuming Middleton is off the board at this point, the Attack have no choice but to draft the best player available rather than selecting a defenseman out of positional need. Bennett is a great pickup at 8 and as a York-Simcoe product (prior to the Marlies), he should have no issues reporting. Bennett went unnoticed at times this season on a strong Marlies team, but there’s no denying the fact that he has all the tools to be a strong offensive player in the OHL. Bennett is a strong skater with good size who is very opportunistic and always seems to get into the right places. He has a good shot and displays strong finishing ability and should be able to contribute immediately.

2011 1st Round Pick: F Zach Nastasiuk (20)
2010 1st Round Pick: F Jarrod Maidens (4)
2009 1st Round Pick: D Curtin Crombeen (9)
2008 1st Round Pick: F Steven Shipley (3)
———-

9. Kingston Frontenacs (Compensation Pick) – LC Michael Dal Colle

HT: 6.02 | WT: 178 lbs. | Vaughan Kings MM

After picking up the best defenseman in the draft, Kingston will look up front for a forward who can play on the Top 3 lines next season. While things are less bleak with the additions of Ryan Kujawinski, Billy Jenkins, and Trevor Morbeck, there is still a need to add some secondary scoring. Dal Colle is a bit of an enigma at times, as he has unquestionable talent, but it doesn’t seem like the drive is always there. When he’s on, Dal Colle is a magician with the puck and is extremely dangerous from the hashmarks in. Skating is a bit of an issue as he will need to dedicate time to improving his first few steps, but his style would compare to a poor man’s John Tavares – which is still pretty darn good.

2011 1st Round Pick: F Max Domi (8)
2010 1st Round Pick: D Alex Gudbranson (10)
2009 1st Round Pick: F Alan Quine (2)
2008 1st Round Pick: D Erik Gudbranson (4)
———-

10. Belleville Bulls – C Brook Hiddink

HT: 5.11 | WT: 185 lbs. | Elgin-Middlesex Chiefs MM

Belleville continues to lack natural offensive talent and will be looking to add a forward who can contribute offensively next season. Hiddink is a very good skater and should excel on the big ice at Yardman Arena. While slightly undersized, Hiddink is a competitive player who works hard and does the little things well. Hiddink has strong vision and has good hockey sense which will help him make up for a lack of size at the OHL level. Hiddink may be a stretch as a Top 10 pick, but he had very little to work with this season and still managed to be a dynamic offensive player.

2011 1st Round Pick: D Jordan Subban (5)
2010 1st Round Pick: F Brendan Gaunce (2)
2009 1st Round Pick: G Tyson Teichmann (18)
2008 1st Round Pick: D Stephen Silas (19)
———-

11. Mississauga St. Michael’s Majors – RW/LW Jaden Lindo

HT: 6.01 | WT: 190 lbs. | Toronto Marlboros MM

Lindo would be a great fit for James Boyd’s system as he is an extremely hard working forward who understands how to play the game in all three zones. Lindo is physically ready for the OHL and is a very good skater which should allow him to play in the Top 9 right out of training camp. He’s not as offensively polished as some of the other forwards in this crop, but Lindo has tremendous determination and through his willingness to win battles, he creates scoring opportunities as a result of his work ethic and drive. Lindo has been rising all season and if he continues to improve at this clip moving forward, he could be a big-time steal in this draft.

2011 1st Round Picks: G Spencer Martin (18), F Scott Teskey (21)
2010 1st Round Pick: D Nick Ebert (17)
2009 1st Round Pick: D Stuart Percy (15)
2008 1st Round Pick: F Devante Smith-Pelly (8)
———-

12. Saginaw Spirit – D Dylan Di Perna

HT: 6.01 | WT: 170 lbs. | Mississauga Rebels MM

With a couple of defensemen set to graduate and most of their 2011 picks spent on forwards, Saginaw will look to add a quality defenseman with their 1st round pick in 2012. While the 1st round is a little light on defensive talent, Di Perna is a quality defenseman who projects to be a player who can contribute at both ends of the ice. Defensively he is very solid and is rarely caught out of position. Di Perna also shows good offensive upside and should be a player who is more than capable of quarterbacking a powerplay. If Di Perna can find a way to be more consistent and avoid making poor decisions, he should be a very good defenseman in the OHL and someone with strong NHL upside.

2011 1st Round Pick: F Nick Moutry (15)
2010 1st Round Pick: F Justin Kea (13)
2009 1st Round Pick: F Anthony Camara (14)
2008 1st Round Pick: F Brandon Saad (10)
———-

13. Sarnia Sting – D Patrick Sanvido

HT: 6.06 | WT: 220 lbs. | Guelph Storm MM

Sanvido is far from polished, but he has as much upside as anyone in the draft. The 6-foot-5 defenseman is a tremendous skater and has the projectable skills that could make him a top pairing defenseman throughout his OHL career. Sanvido is extremely strong and will have absolutely no issues with the physical transition to the OHL. He is more than willing to engage physically and will be use his size as an asset at the next level as well. Sanvido’s offensive game has a lot of room to grow, and his decision making is very average at this point. Sanvido will probably have some growing pains adjusting to the speed of the OHL, but if he can put it all together, he will be a great pick for Sarnia.

2011 1st Round Pick: F Ryan Kujawinski (4)
2010 1st Round Pick: F Alexander Galchenyuk (1)
2009 1st Round Pick: F Brett Richie (12)
2008 1st Round Pick: F Gregg Sutch (11)
———-

14. Sudbury Wolves – D Jonathan Duchesne

HT: 6.02 | WT: 190 lbs. | Vaughan Kings MM

With extremely high expectations, Duchesne failed to show very much sign of improvement this year which is a concern to OHL teams. With that being said, the good news is that he likely wouldn’t have had any issue logging a regular shift in the OHL at age 15 with his style of play. Duchesne is a prototypical stay-at-home physical type defender. He has a man’s body and is an above average skater who has a powerful stride and good lateral ability. The concerns are that his upside may not be much greater than where he’s at now and his offensive game and decision making may never come around. His style is actually quite comparable to Justin Sefton’s and he could be a nice piece of Sudbury’s defense for the next 4 years as they look to fill some holes on the backend.

2011 1st Round Pick: F Nicholas Baptiste (6)
2010 1st Round Pick: F Matthew Campagna (5)
2009 1st Round Pick: D Justin Sefton (5)
2008 1st Round Pick: F John McFarland (1)
———-

15. Brampton Battalion – RW Brett Hargrave

HT: 6.04 | WT: 204 lbs. | Mississauga Rebels MM

Hargrave would be a good fit with the Battalion as he is a big body who projects to be a potential power forward with 30-goal upside. Hargrave was inconsistent throughout the season but showed flashes of dominance in his best games. Aside from his natural size, Hargrave has good mobility and can mix it up when he wants. He handles the puck well and has a good release and while his offensive game will take time to develop, he could develop into a very solid 1st liner in the OHL. Having him in the lineup would also be an enticing option for the Battalion who could build their forward corps around him and fellow power forward Brandon Robinson.

2011 1st Round Pick: F Brandon Robinson (7)
2010 1st Round Pick: D Marcus McIvor (9)
2009 1st Round Pick: F Barclay Goodrow (17)
2008 1st Round Pick: F Sam Carrick (15)
———-

16. Barrie Colts – RW/C Dante Salituro

HT: 5.09 | WT: 165 lbs. | Don Mills Flyers MM

Salituro is one of top snipers available in this draft and is a player who flat out knows how to score goals. He has an exceptional release and is extremely dangerous from the slot and around the net. Salituro does a good job of creating shooting lanes and never hesitates when he has an opportunity to get a shot off. Salituro is very undersized, so there will be a transition period as he adapts to the OHL, but if he is able to continue to improve his skating and strength, he should develop into a very good offensive forward at the OHL level.

2011 1st Round Picks: D Aaron Ekblad (1), D Alex Yuill (22)
2010 1st Round Pick: F Kerby Rychel (21)
2009 1st Round Pick: F Ryan Strome (8)
2008 1st Round Pick: D Ryan O’Connor (6)
———-

17. Kitchener Rangers – LW/RW Jeremiah Addison

HT: 6.00 | WT: 183 lbs. | Toronto Marlboros MM

When he’s on, Addison is a dominant forward who is on par with any of the high-end forwards in the draft. Like so many players at this age, however, Addison really struggles with consistency and is prone to going through lulls of 2-3 games where he is rendered ineffective. Addison is a strong forward who is a very good skater with dynamic ability off the rush. He does a good job of making power moves and can be difficult to stop when he’s in full motion. He has a good shot and has the ability to drive the net with authority which makes him such an intriguing player if he is able to find consistency and bring it every game.

2011 1st Round Pick: F Brent Pederson (14)
2010 1st Round Pick: F Matia Marcantuoni (18)
2009 1st Round Pick: D Ryan Murphy (3)
2008 1st Round Pick: F Jeff Skinner (20)
———-

18. Ottawa 67’s – RW/LW Matt Schmaltz

HT: 6.05 | WT: 190 lbs. | Southern Tier Admirals MM

Schmaltz is far from being a sure thing, but his potential is very intriguing as he has all the tools to be an impact forward in the OHL, it’s just a matter of putting them together. With great size, Schmaltz is a very strong skater and can generate opportunities with his speed and ability to break down defenses. He loves to rush the puck and is most effective when he is willing to use his speed to move up and down the wing. While the potential is there, Schmaltz is still a project, but he’s the type of challenge that the 67’s have not been scared of in the past.

2011 1st Round Pick: F David Perklin (17)
2010 1st Round Pick: F Sean Monahan (16)
2009 1st Round Pick: D Cody Ceci (16)
2008 1st Round Pick: F Tyler Toffoli (7)
———-

19. Plymouth Whalers – C Dylan Larkin

HT: 6.00 | WT: 160 lbs. | Detroit Belle Tire U16

Larkin is committed to the University of Michigan, but there are whispers that the OHL could still be in play. With a great track record of developing forwards, Plymouth may be the team that can lure Larkin to the OHL and may be willing to make that risk as they’re looking for impact players who can help their team next year. Larkin still needs to fill out, but the talent is all there. He’s one of the better skaters in the draft which would be an asset to him next season. He does a good job of breaking down defenses with his speed and shows good vision and strong hockey sense offensively.

2011 1st Round Pick: F Mitchel Dempsey (11)
2010 1st Round Pick: D Max Iafrate (15)
2009 1st Round Pick: F Garrett Meurs (13)
2008 1st Round Pick: F Tyler Seguin (9)
———-

20. Niagara Ice Dogs (Compensation Pick) – G Liam Herbst

HT: 6.04 | WT: 188 lbs. | Mississauga Rebels MM

With Mark Visentin graduating, it’s no surprise that Niagara would love to have Liam Herbst as the heir apparent. Herbst was outstanding with the Mississauga Rebels this season and saved the best for last with an outstanding performance at the OHL Cup. Herbst is a big goaltender who is positionally sound and shows a continued ability to make athletic saves. He has good rebound control and can make the big save when his team needs it. Herbst did go through stretches where he struggled, and he will need to work on improving his ability to square up. It should be also noted that his glove hand and blocker are not outstanding and he is prone to being beaten high.

2011 1st Round Pick: D Adam Bateman (19)
2010 1st Round Picks: D Jesse Graham (6), D Luke Mercer (8)
2009 1st Round Pick: F Lucas Lessio (7)
2008 1st Round Pick: F Freddie Hamilton (14)
———-

21. Niagara Ice Dogs – LW Damien Bourne

HT: 6.05 | WT: 200 lbs. | Mississauga Rebels MM

The Ice Dogs are fortunate to pick back-to-back and may be enticed by Bourne’s potential if he’s still on the board. Like Hargrave, Bourne had some great games this year, and also struggled to find an identity for much of the season. He’s got tremendous size, shows flashes of offensive upside, and has the tools that scream power forward, but just hasn’t been able to make it all work. Bourne may have a tough first year in the OHL, but if he is dedicated to improving his game, he’s got a chance to be a quality Top 6 forward with NHL upside.

2011 1st Round Pick: D Adam Bateman (19)
2010 1st Round Picks: D Jesse Graham (6), D Luke Mercer (8)
2009 1st Round Pick: F Lucas Lessio (7)
2008 1st Round Pick: F Freddie Hamilton (14)
———-

22. London Knights – F Ryan MacInnis

HT: 6.03 | WT: 170 lbs. | St. Louis Blues U16

With a talented group of 94’s and 95’s, London can afford a risky pick with Ryan MacInnis, who is one of the premier talents in the ’96 crop. MacInnis is somewhat raw, but he’s got tremendous upside to be a big-time offensive forward. MacInnis skates well, sees the ice well, and is a very creative forward. He does a good job of buying time and finding passing lanes and will continue to improve in that regard. Physically he is still coming into his own, but he competes hard and demonstrates a willingness to finish checks. MacInnis still needs to find consistency, but if London can get him to report, he’ll only add to a wicked group of forwards that the Knights have stockpiled on their roster.

2011 1st Round Pick: F Bo Horvat (9)
2010 1st Round Pick: F Chris Tierney (19)
2009 1st Round Pick: D Scott Harrington (19)
2008 1st Round Pick: F Christian Thomas (13)

Anonymous
(no login)

March 28 2012, 8:55 AM 

With all the Marlies going early how many started out with them and how many "moved" in to the GTHL?
CM-?
RMC-Alliance
JHS-?
SB-OMHA
JL-?
JA-?

Anonymous
(no login)

March 28 2012, 8:55 AM 

With all the Marlies going early how many started out with them and how many "moved" in to the GTHL?
CM-?
RMC-Alliance
JHS-?
SB-OMHA
JL-?
JA-?

Anonymous
(no login)

March 28 2012, 9:00 AM 

CM- YSE
RMC-Alliance
JHS-Always a GTHL player
SB-OMHA
JL- Brampton/Halton
JA- Brampton/Halton

Anonymous
(no login)

March 28 2012, 9:01 AM 

MC = Markham Waxer
JL & JA = Brampton Battalion
CM, SM, CW = York Simcoe Express
CC = South Central Coyotes

KS should send a basket of fruit to all these orgs for helping him win everything (save for the OHL Cup) this season! Without them, he would have won f all.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 28 2012, 9:16 AM 

what american players are committed to the OHL?

Anonymous
(no login)

March 28 2012, 9:21 AM 

Not true. Just deduct 6/7 Rebels who want to be Marlies and the domination woulda been worse AND they woulda won the cup.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 28 2012, 9:22 AM 

Brampton player! is this a joke? the Brampton was one of the worst AAA teams in Ontario. The team is a mid pack AA team at best. Most of these players won't even make AAA next year in Midget you guys are are drugs.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 28 2012, 9:25 AM 

oops never mind the Brampton kids that went to the gthl and will go high in the draft. Sorry misread the post, I thought you were referring too some current Brampton players that are playing in Brampton still. JA & JL are great players.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 28 2012, 9:25 AM 

oops never mind the Brampton kids that went to the gthl and will go high in the draft. Sorry misread the post, I thought you were referring too some current Brampton players that are playing in Brampton still. JA & JL are great players.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 28 2012, 9:26 AM 

...forgot to add RM of Huron Perth, that makes 8 kids on this past Marlies team....the Marlies way!

Anonymous
(no login)

March 28 2012, 9:27 AM 

yawn

Anonymous
(no login)

March 28 2012, 9:28 AM 

Buuuuuurp

Anonymous
(no login)

March 28 2012, 9:34 AM 

Don't forget DR originally from Halton and CG from OMHA

Anonymous
(no login)

March 28 2012, 9:35 AM 

hiccup

Anonymous
(no login)

March 28 2012, 9:51 AM 

That's 10....fuck!

Anonymous
(no login)

March 31 2012, 4:32 PM 

How many marlies in the first round

Anonymous
(no login)

March 31 2012, 4:41 PM 

there are not enough Marlies to cover the 1st round!

Anonymous
(no login)

April 2 2012, 1:01 PM 

5 or 6 in 1st round.

Anonymous
(no login)

April 2 2012, 1:20 PM 

is it true BB goalie applied for exceptional status and was denied?

Anonymous
(no login)

April 2 2012, 6:33 PM 

big day soon, how fast will N54 get the news, first from those that were chosen, then from those that unfortunately were not, but ready to hammer those that were.

Anonymous
(no login)

April 3 2012, 3:12 PM 

You can follow the draft online starting at 9am April 7. No need to be on n54.

Anonymous
(no login)

April 3 2012, 3:14 PM 

is it on tv, what channel?

Anonymous
(no login)

April 3 2012, 3:16 PM 

ON-LINE.

www.ontariohockeyleague.com

Anonymous
(no login)

April 4 2012, 4:49 PM 

They say not to worry, if you're good they'll find you. I'll let you know April 8 if thats true.

Anonymous
(no login)

April 4 2012, 4:54 PM 

lol!

Current Topic - Minor Midget upcoming Draft    
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement