Sports R4U - 2000 and Older.

[ Forum Rules. ] [ Requests For Moderation. ] [ Sports R4U - 2001 and Younger. ]

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

96 Sun County/Windsor Draft lists.. Thoughts?

March 7 2012 at 6:00 AM
Anonymous  (no login)

BY JIM PARKER, THE WINDSOR STAR MARCH 6, 2012

It appears this year’s Ontario Hockey League Draft will bring an end to an impressive streak for Windsor and Essex County.

In 2011, Belle River’s Aaron Ekblad became the first area player ever taken first overall in the OHL Draft.

In fact, the area has produced at least one first-round pick in the draft for the past five seasons, but that streak is expected to come to an end when the draft is held April 7.

“In the past, the area’s been spoiled with some very high-end kids taken,” one OHL scout said.

While every midget-aged player is eligible for the draft, eight area players are rated by the league’s central scouting bureau, but none are expected to go in the first round.

“In terms of quantity, it’s fine,” the OHL scout said. “For that many kids to be recognized isn’t bad. There are just two (AAA) teams here and to have that man, is not bad.”

The Sun County minor midgets lead the way with seven players rated while Windsor minor’s zone AAA team has one player ranked.M

Sun County goalie Matt Mancina is the area’s top-rated player with a AA rating, which projects him to go in the first two rounds of the draft.

“He should be one of the first five goalies taken,” the OHL scout said. “This kid is sound athletically and knows how to play.

“Nothing seems to rattle him and he doesn’t just depend on that athleticism.”

Sun County right-winger Hayden Hodgson is one of two players with an A rated, which projects them to go between rounds three and six.

“He might be the first guy around here drafted,” the OHL scout said or Hodgson.

“He’s ultra-competitive, can skate and shoot the puck.”

The other A-rated player is centre Joe Manchurek, who also plays for Sun County.

“The potential is unlimited with him,” the OHL scout said. “He’s a big kid and a good skater. He’s got very good hands and great vision.”

It isn’t the only time Manchurek appears on the draft list.

Joe Manchurek is part of a set of triplets. Brothers Mark Manchurek, a left-winger, and Rob Manchurek, who is a defenceman, are C-rated players and projected to go between rounds 11 and 15.

“(Mark) works the hardest (of the three) and plays well away from the puck,” the OHL scout said. “(Rob) seems to understand the game, sees the ice well and makes a good outlet pass.”

The other two Sun County players rated are left winger Jarrod Leslie and centre Devon Paliani, who is the son of former Windsor Spitfires goalie Richard Paliani. Both are C-rated players.

“(Jarrod) really sees the ice well and has good skills,” the OHL scout said. “He’s not very big (at five-foot-eight), but if he ever develops some grit, you’ve got a pretty good player.

“Originally, everyone thought (Paliani) was too small (at five-foot-eight), but he competes like no one’s business. He has no fear.”

The lone Windsor minor player rated is defenceman Antonio Ciampia, who is a C-rated player.

“He’s definitely skilled enough that he’ll get drafted,” the OHL scout said.

“He can skate, he competes and can shoot the puck.”
© Copyright (c) The Windsor Star

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Anonymous
(no login)

Re: 96 Sun County/Windsor Draft lists.. Thoughts?

March 7 2012, 6:12 AM 

Well, so much for "Gimme 5" first rounders....

There it is... in black and white....

Anonymous
(no login)

March 7 2012, 6:31 AM 

wait my son is not there!!!!!
WTF????

Anonymous
(no login)

March 7 2012, 6:51 AM 

Your not the coach!!

Anonymous
(no login)

March 7 2012, 8:07 AM 

coming from the scouts mouth. i will bet anything people will come on here and criticize that as well.

let the bashing begin

Anonymous
(no login)

March 7 2012, 8:21 AM 

Looks alot like the players rated on thescout.ca too. imagine! People will bitch regardless if the source, they always find a magic conspiracy to keep thier kid down. God forbid your kid just isnt good enough....

Anonymous
(no login)

March 7 2012, 3:00 PM 

If it turns out to be true, this is POLITICS at it's best! Windsor has many players better than the one on this list. As does SC for that matter. Oh well, it has been fun for my kid and I am sure he will enjoy playing Jr. C or B somehwere if he is lucky. Best of luck to all. Should be interesting a month from now.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 7 2012, 3:03 PM 

The problem most parents make is they don't think like a scout that is projecting out to the next level. Your perception of where a player is today is irrelevant.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 7 2012, 5:05 PM 

3:00pm

It's always politics when your kid is not making it or not being recognized. God forbid if he just isn't good enough.

Maybe there are a few that should be added, but to discredit the ones that are there, give your head a shake. These players have been watched by many scouts in all areas including central scouting with there own staff, but yet, you will find a way to discredit the players and the people who scout for a living promoting all players in what they feel to be players with promise. These are projections made to the best of their abilities. Some players will go and some will not. Some who will not get drafted might go next year, or picked up later.

So please do everyone a favor, stop mocking the kids that have been recognized and wish all players the best of luck in the future.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 8 2012, 9:05 AM 

i don't think its a scout
rather a silicone salesman

Anonymous
(no login)

March 8 2012, 11:49 AM 

Geez 5:05 - wee bit touchy are we? 3:00 did wish luck to them all prior to your whiny post asking him/her too. And he/she was just stating their beliefs and thougths much like everyone else does and was not discrediting anyone on the list. That's the same as saying that the scouts discredited all the kids left off their lists - everyoen has an opinion. n54 is where you can anonymously let ervryone know yours. I read this site just for baffons like you who take this crap like it's the gospel. You are a loooooooser my boy(or girl)!HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Anonymous
(no login)

March 8 2012, 11:52 AM 

I hope that you are a 96...that was a really hard read...

Anonymous
(no login)

March 8 2012, 12:38 PM 

11:49

did you actually go to school to write such a pathetic rebuttal.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 8 2012, 1:02 PM 

So why didnt the scout put his name to the article? Oh right, i know, so when his "professional" opinion is wrong the general public wont know who doent know what he is talking about. Someone has connections with Windsor Star.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 8 2012, 1:05 PM 

Oh well, it has been fun for my kid and I am sure he will enjoy playing Jr. C or B somehwere if he is lucky. Best of luck to all. Should be interesting a month from now.

If your kid is not at level to make draft list - do not expect to make Jr. B next year. Two spots for 16 year olds. Try again.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 8 2012, 1:11 PM 

"So why didnt the scout put his name to the article? Oh right, i know, so when his "professional" opinion is wrong the general public wont know who doent know what he is talking about. Someone has connections with Windsor Star."

Actually no, you dont know.

The OHL Central Scouting rankings are suppose to be secret. To have someone put it out there in the public could cost a scouts job.
Not hard, and not a conspiracy dude.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 8 2012, 3:19 PM 

Arent all kids on draft list? Dude relax, scout has his facts wrong. know for fact!

Anonymous
(no login)

March 8 2012, 3:23 PM 

Actaully your incorrect Sir in the fact that the Scout is not wrong.

Here is how it works for those not in the know.

Every player is listed as an EP

From there, Players are rated a AA,A,B,C and LV

This scout from Windsor has named the 'Rated' players, not the 'Listed' Players

I cant believe that we are still going over this 7 months in.....

Anonymous
(no login)

March 8 2012, 3:44 PM 

Scout is wrong mark my words obvious flaws to "his" list. "He" will be embarassed after draft and exposed for who "he" is not. "He" needs to double check his facts.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 8 2012, 3:49 PM 

Its not his list thou...again...another lession is needed.

HE is repeating the information provided by Central Scouting, who act as the main information Source for all teams. Its not HIS list, its Central Scouting's.

I really, really dont get the anger here. Its just Central Scouting's list, teams go off of it all the time....

Anonymous
(no login)

March 8 2012, 3:50 PM 

Nature of the job, you get some right and some wrong. What are you new?

Anonymous
(no login)

March 8 2012, 3:54 PM 

If I were a scout talking to media outlet I would realize central scouting is for information only. A good "local" scout would have done his homework.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 8 2012, 3:56 PM 

Play against these kids all the time. I think the list is pretty accurate other than I don't think anyone is an AA.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 8 2012, 3:57 PM 

Article not just relaying list info, opinion on players provided. So again the dude has got it wrong but that is ok we forgive you. You. learn some and you learn some more.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 8 2012, 4:02 PM 

So third line dad, jealous that his kid isn't on the list, somehow because there are write ups that doesnt mean that the Ratings are what they are?

WTF do the writeups have to do with the OHL Central Scouting Rankings? Really.....

Anonymous
(no login)

March 8 2012, 4:24 PM 

Chill dude. You either quoted article or have a kid on list. Lets be clear here folks but my boy not 3rd liner just calling it like I see it. Gotta love these lists that artificially inflate egos. Enjoy your moment in the sun. By the way you should sign your name to article cause freedom of speech means source of info not hard to find. Don't quit your day job cause you are missin the boat here. Might get it someday.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 8 2012, 4:27 PM 

Who does that anyway? Goes to media with info that is a) not public knowledge and b) not accurate. If central scouting wanted list known they would publish. Kind of puts their credibility on the line. I wouldnt want to be the guy to spill the beans. Good luck with that man.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 8 2012, 4:31 PM 

If its OHL Central Scouting, how is it not accurate?

And you honestly think that Im a scout? They wouldnt be caught dead on here.

Im simply calling out the hypocrisy of your post. Somehow OHL Central Scouting ratings are not facts? Of course they are...its their ratings? I could care less who was listed vs. who wasnt, Im in Toronto, But your all over the map here.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 8 2012, 5:25 PM 

This article is no different than the annual one they put out. Be happy for the kids and move on.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 10 2012, 12:43 PM 

ac will hit the big time
his dad tc will coach a top team in the nhl

Anonymous
(no login)

March 10 2012, 4:13 PM 

12:43

your such an idiot go back under your rock loser

Anonymous
(no login)

March 10 2012, 5:49 PM 

Who really cares

Current Topic - 96 Sun County/Windsor Draft lists.. Thoughts?  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement