Sports R4U - 2000 and Older.

[ Forum Rules. ] [ Requests For Moderation. ] [ Sports R4U - 2001 and Younger. ]

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

CM gets Exceptional Player Status!

March 21 2012 at 10:02 AM
Anonymous  (no login)

Congrats and good luck!

http://ontariohockeyleague.com/

AuthorReply
Anonymous
(no login)

Re: CM gets Exceptional Player Status!

March 21 2012, 10:08 AM 

No surprise. He'll be fine. Good luck.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 21 2012, 10:12 AM 

Did they mention my son too? I sure hope he got it! I'm counting the cash

Anonymous
(no login)

March 21 2012, 10:15 AM 

Did you apply?

Anonymous
(no login)

March 21 2012, 10:21 AM 

I thought he would just get noticed! 8 goals on the weekend, would have had 9, but the 3 minute buzzer went off when he was on a breakaway!

Anonymous
(no login)

March 21 2012, 10:42 AM 

Atta boy Mac, best of luck

Anonymous
(no login)

March 21 2012, 10:56 AM 

Isn't he a mick?

Anonymous
(no login)

March 21 2012, 10:59 AM 

he got ES for that too.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 21 2012, 11:34 AM 

Ripped Crest and All ! Congratulations

Anonymous
(no login)

March 21 2012, 11:50 AM 

My son is a 96 but 24 days older then Mcd. Hockey should go back to the Sept. cut off like the old days.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 21 2012, 11:51 AM 

Anonymous
(no login)

March 21 2012, 11:53 AM 

Well deserving. Probably one of two or maybe three 96'ers destined for the NHL.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 21 2012, 11:57 AM 

first off kid is great hockey player but 11:50 I agree with you . he is 13 days away from being a 96 so really he should be in this draft year.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 21 2012, 12:03 PM 

no, unless I've misunderstood, 11:50 is describing the LBD rule where his kid is a youngish 96 and should be drafted with the 97's.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 21 2012, 12:05 PM 

...the old "Outlier" thing.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 21 2012, 1:36 PM 

One good hit and he is done like dinner

Anonymous
(no login)

March 21 2012, 1:37 PM 

Watch kid play nothing special

Anonymous
(no login)

March 21 2012, 1:55 PM 

Thanks for that insightful analysis! Too bad all the OHL professionals didn't consult with you first before making the decision.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 21 2012, 2:23 PM 

My son had played against CMD for many years. He has always been alot of fun to watch. Very talented kid. Keep up the good work. Congratulations you deserve it young man. happy.gif

Anonymous
(no login)

March 21 2012, 3:09 PM 

1:37 you are a retard.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 21 2012, 3:09 PM 

1:37 you are a retard.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 21 2012, 3:17 PM 

Congrats to the kid, watched him play for years and he has consistently been a top talent every single year.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 21 2012, 3:26 PM 

"first off kid is great hockey player but 11:50 I agree with you . he is 13 days away from being a 96 so really he should be in this draft year."

And how many kids were born early January 1996? So should they be in the 1995 draft year?

The kid is a 1997 and a great player, why do people need to try and discredit him?

Anonymous
(no login)

March 21 2012, 3:37 PM 

People make excuses and undermine other people's successes as a way of dealing with their own inadequacies and failures in life. It truly is a sad state of affairs when an adult can't even bring themselves to say, "Well done or Congratulations."

Anonymous
(no login)

March 21 2012, 4:36 PM 

Congrats, the kid is a great player who dominates at the 96 level. However, arena's everywhere will be widening their doorways to allow his father and grandfather to get their heads thru. BM will be more insufferable than he already is. Feel bad for JHS who loses out on being the star this year.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 21 2012, 4:36 PM 

Duh, tank yuse four dat ductur phil.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 21 2012, 4:40 PM 

first off kid is great hockey player but 11:50 I agree with you . he is 13 days away from being a 96 so really he should be in this draft year."

And how many kids were born early January 1996? So should they be in the 1995 draft year?

The kid is a 1997 and a great player, why do people need to try and discredit him?

where did I discredit him?

Anonymous
(no login)

March 21 2012, 4:54 PM 

Ekblad is a Jan birth also. 2 weeks shy of playing with 95's anyway.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 21 2012, 5:16 PM 

4:54, what is your point? a threshhold is a threshhold no matter what the date and there will always be exceptions
now get off that shit because the truth proven by stats is that kids born late in the year do not do as well as those born early in the year. go away and read up on the Relative Age Effect in sports.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 21 2012, 5:21 PM 

He will be th only 97 DOB player from GTHL to make it to Show. Good Luck Kid you are a great player.

Sid the Kid make room for The Mckid.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 21 2012, 6:00 PM 

4:54 is making shit up, Ekblad was born in Feb.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 21 2012, 6:55 PM 

5.21 There are at least 4 GTHL 97 that will make it to the big show - one Titan, two marlies and a Reb to start

Anonymous
(no login)

March 21 2012, 7:01 PM 

6:55 But the real question is where were those 4 '97 players poached from ?

Anonymous
(no login)

March 21 2012, 7:09 PM 

Who cares where they are from

Anonymous
(no login)

March 21 2012, 7:16 PM 

Titan: G
Marlie: 27

Anonymous
(no login)

March 21 2012, 8:12 PM 

Anonymous
(no login)

March 21 2012, 8:20 PM 

Remember these words "very bad thing". There is no need to rush young kids like this. He will become poster boy for concusions and reasons why you wait. Beware it will happen.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 21 2012, 9:30 PM 

good luck to him , hope he does well

Anonymous
(no login)

March 21 2012, 10:18 PM 

Erie will be the team everyone will want to be on to get the exposure now good job kid

Anonymous
(no login)

March 21 2012, 11:07 PM 

gee whiz how did Brad Boyes, Carlo Coliaccovo and many others playing pro ever get exposure in Erie before CMD? it simply boggles the imagination.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 21 2012, 11:15 PM 

Don't do it CMCD.
Erie is a slow death..Pack your Bags and go to Shattuck .

Wait out the OHL and go to an organization that matters.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 21 2012, 11:36 PM 

now that would be strange. since by applying for ES to be drafted into the O, he has effectively commited to whichever team drafts him, and I certainly wouldn't bet on Erie not taking him.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 22 2012, 7:47 AM 

Erie will take 97. He is a great player and they will get him an extra year. Huge difference. When he is in his O prime, they will trade him for a boat load and Erie will be near the top of the standings after that. That is how it works.

If I am an owner and my GM does not take McD #1, he would no longer have a job.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 22 2012, 10:05 AM 

I congratulate McD. He's a great player. But why any 15 year old would want to be sent to Erie to spend (at least) the next two years of his young life is beyond me. Maybe when he gets drafted to the NHL it will all be worth it. I hope that's what happens. But it's a heck of a price to pay.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 22 2012, 10:23 AM 

Most kids are happy to pay that price. Its part of this game. No pain, no gain.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 22 2012, 10:28 AM 

7:47am The owner and GM are one and the same in Erie! LOL

Anonymous
(no login)

March 22 2012, 10:35 AM 

not to mention his "extra year" and be traded in his "O prime" contradiction.

getting an extra year means you believe he will be gone (to the NHL) by 18, which will be his O prime.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 22 2012, 10:37 AM 

from today's Erie paper....let the posturing begin!!!!!!!

OHL draft options sweeten for Erie Otters
By VICTOR FERNANDES, Erie Times-News
victor.fernandes@timesnews.com

Connor McDavid will play in the OHL next season. But will he play for the Erie Otters?

McDavid and his parents, Brian and Kelly, weren't prepared to answer that question Wednesday.

The Ontario Hockey Federation announced that Hockey Canada, the sport's national governing body, has granted exceptional player status to McDavid, 15, a standout center from Newmarket, Ontario.

That allows McDavid to enter the OHL Priority Selection, set for April 7, a year ahead of his draft year and begin his OHL career in the 2012-13 season.

With the No. 1 pick, the Otters have the inside track to choosing McDavid, who had 33 goals and 72 points in 33 games and earned Greater Toronto Hockey League player of the year honors this season with the Toronto Marlboros minor midget AAA club.

"We don't know for sure where Connor is going to be drafted," Brian McDavid said during a conference call. "I think there's lots of speculation on that. Once that day comes, we'll move forward at that point."

The Otters earned the No. 1 pick by finishing with a 10-52-3-3 record, which ranks worst in the league this season, worst in franchise history and among the worst in the OHL's 36-year modern era.

McDavid and his family met with Sherry Bassin, Otters managing partner and general manager, and other officials in Erie earlier this month.

"We had a great visit with Mr. Bassin," Brian McDavid said. "But at that point in time, Connor wasn't granted the status exemption. It was a visit just to see things."

Now the family has to meet with Otters officials again before the draft, Kelly McDavid said.

"I don't think we can make a decision until that happens," she said.

Connor McDavid, who called the Otters a "great organization," hasn't ruled out playing in Erie if chosen.

"I'm very excited about the opportunity to potentially go to Erie," said McDavid, who capped his midget season with 11 goals and 19 points in seven games, as well as the most valuable player award, at the OHL Cup Showcase Tournament in Toronto last week.

He had the most points in the tournament since Sam Gagner, now with the NHL's Edmonton Oilers, had 17 points in five games with the Marlboros in 2005.

McDavid joins Barrie defenseman Aaron Ekblad (2011) and current New York Islanders center John Tavares (Oshawa, 2005) as the lone OHL players to earn exceptional player status.

"I'm just looking forward to the OHL draft," Connor McDavid added, "and we'll move on from there."

Bassin has declined to comment on McDavid to date because, as Bassin said after Saturday's season finale, "I have to wait until he gets special status." Bassin didn't return a telephone message Wednesday.

OHL vice president Ted Baker said the Otters aren't required to choose McDavid with the top pick. Baker also said McDavid isn't required to report to the club that selects him.

"There's no stipulation. Draft rules are exactly the same," Baker said, referring to guidelines for all other players eligible for the draft.

McDavid pointed to education as a key factor in deciding his OHL future.

"Education gives you options. You never want to close any doors," said McDavid, who pointed to billets as another factor.

OHF executive director Phillip McKee said Hockey Canada's special evaluation panel believes McDavid can succeed in a United States high school based on his academic record and teacher evaluations.

As part of the family's application process, Hockey Canada required questionnaires from McDavid, his coaches and teachers, as well as essays from McDavid and his parents describing him as a person.

McDavid and his family were interviewed by an official representing the special evaluation panel. A player evaluation report and McDavid's hockey history also were analyzed by the panel. McKee said the panel determined another midget season would impair McDavid's development on and off the ice.

McKee said the OHL provides "a great opportunity for him to further develop his personal skills as well as his hockey playing skills. It's a great opportunity to continue his development moving forward."

For now, the McDavid family maintains a wait-and-see approach. "When we get to the draft, and depending on how things shake out at the draft, we'll decide from there," Brian McDavid said.

VICTOR FERNANDES can be reached at 870-1716 or by e-mail. Check out video highlights of potential No. 1 pick Connor McDavid on the Shootout hockey blog at GoErie.com/blogs/shootout and Twitter updates at twitter.com/goeriehockey.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 22 2012, 10:47 AM 

clearly the posturing has already started by the dad. Erie will draft him for sure.

it will be a black eye for the league if someone given ES manipulates the draft.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 22 2012, 10:51 AM 

I don't agree.

He is 15 years old, clearly a minor and if I'm his parents I send him to wherever I want him to go. If Erie does not suit them for whatever reason, more power to them. We are not discussing grown adults here but children.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 22 2012, 10:52 AM 

Talk around already is he will NOT go to Erie. Using education as leverage ?

Anonymous
(no login)

March 22 2012, 10:54 AM 

Good for him! Who in their right mind would go to Erie if they could at all avoid it?

Anonymous
(no login)

March 22 2012, 10:56 AM 

then he shouldn't have been given ES as it doesn't sound like he's ready to leave home according to you.

so he is given ES then turns around and says I will only report to Mississauga or Brampton (where I can live at home and play for a nearby team)??

Anonymous
(no login)

March 22 2012, 10:58 AM 

10:54, lots of kid leave home and go to Erie, Plymouth, Saginaw, Windsor, Sudbury, the Soo, etc and have had great careers.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 22 2012, 10:59 AM 

You're assuming I believe he should only go to a local team....that's quite a leap!

If his parents believe London or Windsor are the best fit, then that is where he should go. Many factors go into this such as team's record of success developing young players, coaches, billets, education, etc.

I don't know what the best fit is but as a minor his parents should be allowed to make that determination. Again, he is not an adult he is a child. Would you want any less for your son?

Anonymous
(no login)

March 22 2012, 11:02 AM 

10:58am You're absolutely right and for whatever reasons their parents chose to allow their boys to go there. I still think just because you are top pick doesn't mean you should be forced to go somewhere that is not right for you.

Elite players have leverage.

Here's a thought, how about all the OHL ensure they run top notch programs to even the playing field? Currently, some definitely fall short.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 22 2012, 11:02 AM 

congratulations to CM it was earned. Where ever he chooses to play is for his and his parents reasons and i am sure will be thought out. Sherry Bassin is a very respected person to be involved in an orgnaization and I am sure that will help Eries cause.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 22 2012, 11:04 AM 

Sounds like neither the kid. nor the parents are fully prepared for what they themselves asked for through the Exceptional Status request.

Wish the kid well, but serves the parents right when he goes to Erie next year (or returns to the GTHL)

Anonymous
(no login)

March 22 2012, 11:07 AM 

smoke screen here erie has told family if gets ES they willd raft him thats why he went to visit. Next mtg is to discuss all the the specifics of the deal. Who knows where that goes but erie will do whatever the family wants withing bounds on ohl rules.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 22 2012, 11:10 AM 

The OHL, Hockey Canada and whomever do not have the boy's best interest in mind here.

The OHL and Hockey Canada are a business,I hope the boy continues to play GTHL and goes NCAA that way he will have the best of both worlds.

Look at Sid the kid ,one of the greatest players to play the game,he may not play until 30 years of age because of injuries and if he does,still no education.

Like it was said many yeras ago "a mind is a terrible thing to waste"

Anonymous
(no login)

March 22 2012, 11:10 AM 

11:02am I know someone who went through this 1st round posturing with his '93 player, and he has nothing good to say re S. Bassin. The state of his franchise speaks for itself.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 22 2012, 11:13 AM 

1 of the teams you mentioned is well known to put hockey ahead of school. it's also known for it's off-ice activities which aren't appropriate for minors.

you have no clue which teams are better or worse. if you're not picking based on proximity, ie the old residency rule which allowed 15 year olds Jason Spezza and Rico Fata to play for their nearby teams, then you're cherry picking based on team success, which as per the above you were wrong.

this draft is for minors. they're still minors until they are just about out of the league. you go where you're drafted and if there's an issue there then you address it. it's a draft and almost all the other kids will go report to their drafting teams.

what you're describing is a maturity issue where CMD shouldn't have been given ES. or if you're one of the other 16 year olds, then don't report and just play T2 or midget for a year then decide. no problem with that. and no problem if you decide the O isn't for your kid at all.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 22 2012, 11:13 AM 

personally Erie is not where i would go we went there for a tourney once never again

Anonymous
(no login)

March 22 2012, 11:16 AM 

11:13 #1 directed at 10:59.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 22 2012, 11:17 AM 

11:10, the very same was said about Owen Sound 2 years ago.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 22 2012, 11:19 AM 

11:13am Those teams were just used as an example.

No doubt his advisors can give him and his family a much better idea of those teams that fit the criteria.

It is known there are teams in the league that do not do police checks on their billets, do not enforce an underage drinking rule, do not provide tutors on buses to ensure education is maintained, etc.

You don't make sense. He is a minor, so he should go where he is sent? No, he is a minor so his parents have to be comfortable he goes into an environment that allows for his development as a person and as a hockey player. These kids make virtually no money while some owners have tidy annual revenues, notwithstanding an education package the elite players will never utilize, the very least a team should provide are some of the basics noted above. Don't you agree?

Anonymous
(no login)

March 22 2012, 11:21 AM 

11:17am Owen Sound is a great example. They cleaned up their act and have become a go-to team.

It's easy, ensure you have a first-rate organization and players will come. Unfortunately not all teams are the same. Don't believe me, do some research.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 22 2012, 11:38 AM 

11:21/11:19, I'm guessing your the same poster.

let's start this point at a time as the work thing gets in my way.

first, Owen Sound. you claim they cleaned up their act. please describe how so. just because they won last year?

I am certain I've been around the league a little longer than you. here is a post on the 93/94 N54 board (a site destroyed by bashers) re: Owen Sound:
http://www.network54.com/Forum/628188/message/1268701080/OHL+Draftees--Do+not+report+to+Owen+Sound

note the date, ie well before last year's title. in the very same thread Owen Sound and Sudbury are shredded:
http://www.network54.com/Forum/628188/thread/1268413221/last-1269289098/OHL+CUP+2010+TEAMS

my point is that you have no clue which teams have more rigorous standards as per the items you mention.

Tigers in HF is very good at listing the criteria, however you will also notice he'll never mention which teams this applies to? it even changes year to year and is situational based on the kid. he knows this. finally, success on the ice does not equate to providing a protected environment and education emphasis for your kid.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 22 2012, 11:42 AM 

btw, I do agree with the standards you and Tigers mention. absolutely so. but you would be surprised by which teams are bettter at this.

again, my point is that CMD should go where he is drafted provided he was granted ES. if a situation arises then deal with it. this "Erie is bad" fluff can be said for 19 other teams.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 22 2012, 11:47 AM 

Good discussion and points taken.

I will still maintain that players and their families need to do their research and ensure they have comfort when sending their child away.

Much greater due diligence required here than at the NHL draft, and to simply say they should go where drafted continues to ignore the fact they are minors so greater level of responsibility is necessary.

Good luck to CM family on getting right for all the right reasons.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 22 2012, 11:49 AM 

Hopefully they don't try to play him in goal.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 22 2012, 12:00 PM 

Now that CM got his EP status, I suspect the family is getting a little concerned that the world isn't going to work around him

If he is too young/immature to go where he's drafted, then it's a good sign that he wasn't ready to be drafted in the first place

Anonymous
(no login)

March 22 2012, 12:00 PM 

EPS is exceptional player status in every sense of the word. He should be better than EVERY 96 player athletically, scholastically and emotionally to be granted the status.

It does not stand for extra-special player status. If there is even a suggestion the player is not reporting to Erie as it is too far away from his family and thereby shows a lack of emotional maturity, Hockey Canada will have egg on their face.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 22 2012, 12:09 PM 

11:47, I do not disagree with your principles. you are right.

I am a realist tho. in this world everyone looks out for #1. I do not mean to offend or be adversary, but the article above translates to: "I want my cake and eat it to". ok perhaps a tad much hyperbole there.

I hope I'm wrong but this smells like another Domi scenario. it's the usual story - I want to play in the O as long as it's for London, Windsor or Kitchener.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 22 2012, 12:10 PM 

my bad: eat it "too". yikes.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 22 2012, 12:30 PM 

Nothing special about this kid

Anonymous
(no login)

March 22 2012, 12:30 PM 

Nothing special about this kid

Anonymous
(no login)

March 22 2012, 12:31 PM 

We live in a free country last time I checked .Who the heck do these organizations think they are ( OHL,NHL,Hockey Canada etc.)trying to dictate where/whom someone is suppose to play for ? with their self interest drafts !!

Just make your best sales pitch to a player's family and let them decide where / whom they want to play for.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 22 2012, 12:33 PM 

lmao!

Anonymous
(no login)

March 22 2012, 12:38 PM 

The real funny part of all this is how happy the family is. Interviews with Mom and Dad on the same phone call. I wonder how they do that in their seperated status? It must have been a conference call right. Dispicable.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 22 2012, 12:41 PM 

I was banging the MOM in her ass

Anonymous
(no login)

March 22 2012, 12:57 PM 

If you pull off one sham what's going to stop you from pulling another. Rules are for 97% of society.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 22 2012, 1:29 PM 

Congratulations CM you deserve it. You're a dedicated and hard working young man. All the best to you

Anonymous
(no login)

March 22 2012, 1:33 PM 

Can I get my Dec 29th 1997 to play with the 1998s?

Only 2 days short but has always been a year behind in size.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 22 2012, 1:34 PM 

No sorry, he sucks.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 22 2012, 2:02 PM 

1:34 is definitely from HC. they're only concerned about gifted kids that can be hyped.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 22 2012, 2:15 PM 

Bitter?

Anonymous
(no login)

March 22 2012, 2:25 PM 

no, honest.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 22 2012, 3:46 PM 

Nothing wrong with Erie. Beautiful there in the summer. And it's really not that far away. Lots of nice people and no so fine dining. Good portion size though happy.gif

Anonymous
(no login)

March 22 2012, 3:50 PM 

Congrats to YSE for developing this player from an early age not to mention the other half of the Marlies roster who's players live within OMHA boundaries. The OMHA develops the GTHL poaches.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 22 2012, 4:46 PM 

It went down like dis, cee.

The TM sent dere bois over to the dads and put a .38 special to all dere temples.

De others shaid yes, but Brian Mick FuckFace shaid no.

Da bois went away, but the very next morning Brian Mick FuckFace woke up the family's pet dog's head in his bed.

He den shaid yes, cee.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 22 2012, 5:41 PM 

r brian and kelly seperated? what a joke. hc did their prime time research. me thinks it sounds like gthl research.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 22 2012, 6:52 PM 

If the kid doesn't want to go Erie then he shouldn't have applied for ES. By doing so, he has commited to going to the team that picks first.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 22 2012, 7:02 PM 

Hahaha! The above a couple is hilarious!!

Research? They were deciding whether or not he was fit to be eligible for the draft. Period. Besides, if TM really did force him to play for them who are we to argue? Ever had a .38 cal pressed to your temple? Lol

He's gonna be a great player even if the team he's going to is a collective -169. Wish him luck. He'll need it in every way and no doubt all concerned weighed the pros and cons agonizingly.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 22 2012, 10:00 PM 

You people are nothing but pathetic jealous fucks.

Too bad your kid will get drafted last in the beer league.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 22 2012, 10:06 PM 

OK Grandpa! If you can't take the criticism, you better get out now.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 23 2012, 1:45 AM 

I saw Crosby, Tavares, and Spezza numerous times at the same age. They all had exceptional puck handling skills, and certain vision, though Crosby was the only pure skater of the three. I have had the pleasure to watch this 97 boy play more than the others, due to demographics, and since my son is also a 96 birth year. I might be going out on a huge limb here, but I believe this boy has a more mature all round game, and disposition than Sid at the same age. His puck handling and heads up game are equal to 15 year old Sid, which shows in his stats. His skating is fast and fluid like a Russian, rather than Sid's explosive power stride.

What I see in him, that wasn't there with Crosby, JT, and certainly not Spezza, or Stamkos, is his defensive side of the game. I believe you could drop him into an OHL game in any situation, and he could handle himself, short handed, 5 on 3, any defensive role. He will get points, absolutely at the OHL level, but what will set him apart, will be his defensive game. I will venture to say he is the most complete player I have ever seen at that age, and a lot of people in the know have agreed.

He reminds me of a 33 year old Steve Yzerman, in a 15 year old body! The only difference is, it took Stevie Y almost 30 years to be as complete.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 23 2012, 3:34 AM 

Thanks dad.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 23 2012, 6:54 AM 

all the marlies parents have reconciled since the end of the season...found themselves so to speak

Anonymous
(no login)

March 23 2012, 8:25 AM 

My penis got exceptional lenght status When I was 18 and was allowed to star in porn videos!

Anonymous
(no login)

March 23 2012, 8:30 AM 

5 inches is exceptional???????

Anonymous
(no login)

March 23 2012, 8:49 AM 

8:25 Until you got in front of a camera and couldn't "endure" the spotlight! Nice try bashful....LMFAO

Anonymous
(no login)

March 23 2012, 9:13 AM 

1:45AM sounds like the same wannabe pulp ficition writer that gave us the "Coach" story in this thread also at 1 in the morning

http://www.network54.com/Forum/672359/thread/1332448956/last-1332502176/Caught+Red+handed

Anonymous
(no login)

March 23 2012, 9:32 AM 

6:54 Apparently so have Brian and Kelly McDavid. It's a Festivus miracle!

Anonymous
(no login)

March 23 2012, 9:37 AM 

They keep referring to the boy as a Newmarket native. Again, if this is the case how did he play for the Marlies?

If true that the parents divroced previously, are they reconciled?

Just asking for some clarification.

Not Blind Hate!

Anonymous
(no login)

March 23 2012, 9:39 AM 

"March 23 2012, 1:45 AM"

Ok you can swallow now grandpa. I don't know who you were watching but the knock on your hero is that he is a little feminine when in the defensive zone. To put it mildly, 'he is afraid ' to get hit. Has been all his life. Was especially true when the Kings played them last year and same this year. And most certainly next year. He is soft in the physical department. So wipe your chin and move on!

Anonymous
(no login)

March 23 2012, 9:55 AM 

Oh crap, when grampa gets up after being up late and puts his teeth in, the sparks are going to fly over that last comment !!!

Anonymous
(no login)

March 23 2012, 10:05 AM 

Grandpa is sleeping in this morning. He was up late posting after spending the day in Erie checking out nursing homes.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 23 2012, 10:09 AM 

Ok, ok, play nice now children.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 23 2012, 11:15 AM 

You can play in the GTHL and live in Newmarket if you have releases from all OMHA AAA teams between Newmarket and the GTHL boundries.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 23 2012, 11:16 AM 

Well he did not have a release from one team. What's your point.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 23 2012, 11:37 AM 

Enough folks this is how GTHL has worked for many years. There are kids on every team working the system. If gTHL really wanted to put an end to it thery could but they don't because they want to be known as where the best players play.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 23 2012, 11:40 AM 

the gthl needs all of it's imports or the league itself would suck!

Anonymous
(no login)

March 23 2012, 11:42 AM 

That's for sure.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 23 2012, 11:44 AM 

if you don't like it, don't go

even better, don't come back

Anonymous
(no login)

March 23 2012, 11:54 AM 

11:37 - The GTHL is already the best. That's why parents go thru great trouble to bring there young lads there.

The real issue you're completely blind to is that it is up to the OMHA to improve itself so their best kids stay.

You get it now?

Anonymous
(no login)

March 23 2012, 12:04 PM 

If you are from Newmarket you can play in the G if you fake a divorce then fake a new address in the G along with a new school. The Marlies have had a divorce lawyer on retainer for years. They also have a counterfeiting expert for the needed documents.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 23 2012, 12:10 PM 

...he's an old stocky Russian fellow with a heavy accent who worked for many years for a now defunct company called the KGB.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 23 2012, 12:19 PM 

...the 1st thing he asks hayseed parents with highly touted kids is "you haf paypers?, no vorry I feex".

Anonymous
(no login)

March 23 2012, 12:23 PM 

"I see nussing, nussing". Shut up Shultz.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 23 2012, 12:25 PM 

...und u know nussing 2!

Anonymous
(no login)

March 23 2012, 12:41 PM 

shut up Klink!

Anonymous
(no login)

March 23 2012, 1:02 PM 

Mom suck my cock

Anonymous
(no login)

March 23 2012, 1:14 PM 

She suck anything that look like cock

Anonymous
(no login)

March 23 2012, 1:22 PM 

The reason kids go to theG is for coaching. There are few parent coaches in AAA compared to the Omha. Just like in life, you get what you pay for. Is it right? Who are you or who am I to judge if someone wants to let their kid go play in the G.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 23 2012, 1:24 PM 

of coures she likes G spot best place to suck cock

Anonymous
(no login)

March 23 2012, 1:39 PM 

good for mcdavid! amazing kid

Anonymous
(no login)

March 23 2012, 1:42 PM 

Thanks grand dad

Anonymous
(no login)

March 23 2012, 1:54 PM 

1:22pm Lots of crap coaches being paid in the G, don't fool yourself. Been there done that.

The main reason people flock to the G is the percieved limelight in the kid's minor midget year. Go to the HF Boards and that is ALL they talk about as many scouts live in the GTA and are at the games all the time.

Lately, some of the kids have moved to the city to go to some of the so-called hockey schools like Hill and PEAC also. Talk about all in!

Point is, people believe the hype and it feeds on itself. Nothing more.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 23 2012, 2:42 PM 

"The main reason people flock to the G is the percieved limelight in the kid's minor midget year."

1:54, the draft stats on a per capita basis indicate otherwise.

there is no denying that a blue chip prospect can be drafted from anywhere. a Joey Hishon will still be a 1st round draft whether he's playing in the big smoke or out in the boonies for a AA team.

the point is that the numbers and weighting in the higher rounds suggest that the exposure is more than simply perceived.

and we don't need to review current and past O Cup results. it's unfortunate you had a bad experience.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 23 2012, 2:46 PM 

If you were to provide original association to first round draft picks from the GTHL, you would find the weighting skewed back to a normal curve. Fact.

RM of the Marlies for example spent the majority of his formative hockey years in the Alliance.

The OHL Cup to me is an aberration. The Marlies and Rebels are super-teams based on the hyper-recruiting of the GTHL. Why didn't the OHL simply drop the Erie Otters into the competition? Same result.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 23 2012, 2:54 PM 

I understand your origin point, for sure.

however the kids still leave and not just for minor midget. the Seguin's and Skinner's left the OMHA at minor peewee and peewee respectively. most make the move at minor bantam.

so the facts are what they are, and they are slanted towards the GTHL.

I agree with a poster above that the other leagues need to improve their orgs and local MHA structures. he hit the nail right on the head.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 23 2012, 3:12 PM 

I would buy your notion that the other leagues need to improve (and they do) if perhaps the GTHL were a noticeable improvement over the other leagues, but frankly they are not. My son played in the GTHL until the end of Minor Bantam, and then left for the OMHA.

In my experience, and for that matter many other parents I know, the GTHL didn't have better coaching save for perhaps the top 2-3 teams in any age group. I wouldn't have minded paying for good coaching, but it didn't exist on teams 4 downward. The costs were prohibitive and the politics around team selection et al were ridiculous.

There is much that needs to be addressed by every league if you are going to be honest. Frankly, it is an uneven playing field. If the OMHA wants to compete with the GTHL, they should simply create an all-star team (east and west), hire a couple of out of work OHL coaches for $100k per team, play in the GTHL and then perhaps there will be competition at the OHL Cup. Until that happens, you will see the same thing every year.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 23 2012, 3:18 PM 

Never heard of this CM kid, after this thread is done I'll probably never hear about him again

Anonymous
(no login)

March 23 2012, 3:24 PM 

Leave the kid alone, he is a nice kid and an excellent player. His grandpa is a bit much and hopefully will back off before he makes life more difficult for the kid, he will already have a price on his head in the OHL.

Too bad so many people are so jealous. There are a few choices for the people complaining about the GTHL teams taking players from the OMHA. Shut up, go do something about it or figure out how you too can work it to your advantage.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 23 2012, 3:28 PM 

Now there's a constructive post....not!

Anonymous
(no login)

March 23 2012, 3:38 PM 

I would suggest that you're being overly critical on the coaching depth. even on some bottom dwellers you find guys with true major junior/minor pro experience which is not the case in the other leagues.

in the end coaching, even reviewing their credentials, is a subjective debate as parents will align themselves on both sides even on successful teams.

I think your east/west all-star team idea is very promising kinda like the US traveling teams. although good luck getting league, their various orgs and other leagues on board, not to mention finding enough parents to fund it as most certainly the league would not.

I'm impressed by the ODMHA in the last few years. more top prospects lately and the Titans are rivaling the jr 67's. even their T2 CJHL is doing great in last 5 years moving players to the OHL and NCAA. it would be interesting to find out what's going on in the capital area.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 23 2012, 3:46 PM 

btw, I know they received an $800K injection from the Senators after the 2009 WJC's. however seeing how this was distributed and what improvements were implemented would provide good insight.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 23 2012, 3:49 PM 

Thanks for the insight although we also can't forget that all of this is cyclical as well. The OMHA had a better year last year, both in terms of representation at the OHL Cup and at the top end of the draft. Notwithstanding even last year the GTHL dominated the final 8 in the OHL Cup.

In the end I suppose, irrespective of what league in Ontario the player does come from, ultimately it is only good for the contniuing success of elite hockey in Ontario and Canada.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 23 2012, 4:03 PM 

very true. next to getting our kids through it with positive experiences/lessons/friendships, in the end that's what it's about.

I have little doubt that you also find this GTHL vs OMHA debate overblown and boring. I'm out, have a good one.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 23 2012, 7:32 PM 

Positive experience?

Anonymous
(no login)

March 23 2012, 11:02 PM 

McDavid, Connor 1/13/1997 5.09.75* 166 Center Toronto Marlboro Minor Midget AAA

I guess we know what the real height and weight is now! Not the fabricated one that all the news stories give you. 5'11" my ass!

Anonymous
(no login)

March 23 2012, 11:28 PM 

date?

Anonymous
(no login)

March 24 2012, 12:33 AM 

What is great, is that all the bashing of jealous parents on here cannot change the fate of this youngster. He will be hated because of Blue Collar jealousy, just as Wayne and Sid were. Hockey culture in Canada sucks!

Anonymous
(no login)

March 24 2012, 9:52 AM 

This was posted for the OHL combine.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 24 2012, 10:22 AM 

CMcD is a friend of mine, I am 5'-10" and he is taller tha I am so sftu

Anonymous
(no login)

March 24 2012, 10:33 AM 

Does it really matter how tall he is? 5' 9" or 5" 11" Who cares the kid can play.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 24 2012, 10:37 AM 

sftu, hopefully he spells better,

Anonymous
(no login)

March 24 2012, 2:12 PM 

I'm from Kingston and when Scott Harrington starting talking about being interested in the NCAA I told my wife what a crock of shit. THe boy was a good student though but the dad was obsessed about the NHL.

When Tie Dummie's kid started talking about the NCAA I said it was shit and that Tie Dummy had most certainly spoken with Gilmour and said ok ... lets make this work for both of us and ofcourse it has worked out that way. Dummy gets his kid to play for the Knights and Killer gets his draft choices... everybody happy!

You may scare a few teams off with this "I want an education crap" but I hope Erie takes him and he shows class and reports. CHL is the fastest route to the pros if you dont really care about education!! However, more power this young fellow if he can dictate where he goes and what he does. Only the best players have the power to do that.

Windsor was not exactly a great team when Taylor Hall decided to report to them but he now has two Mem Cup rings. Conversely, Jordan Mayer didnt want to go to the Greyhounds and chose not to report.

Obvious an excellent player but all this other bullshit is just a joke. The deals will be made behind closed doors and then we, the public, will get some polished version at the end more times than not.

I wish CMD well but you are not there yet and a damaged knee, shoulder or head injury could change it all quickly so be careful. Work hard and remain humble !!

Anonymous
(no login)

March 24 2012, 3:48 PM 

This stellar advice and a loonie gets you a coffee at timmies....STFU!

Anonymous
(no login)

March 24 2012, 4:51 PM 

Did he show up to combine?

Anonymous
(no login)

March 24 2012, 5:04 PM 

No. Does not look good on him. Ekblad was there and there was none of this 'will he report to' stuff. Kid has to realize that he now has responsibilities to the league to support league sponsored activities.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 24 2012, 8:13 PM 

He has strept throat. Give him a break.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 24 2012, 8:16 PM 

Stop lying the kid was measured properly so stfu. Maybe you're not as tall as you think you are. Truth hurts.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 24 2012, 10:44 PM 

Got news for you pal...you aren't 5'10"!

Anonymous
(no login)

March 25 2012, 7:17 AM 

I am 5'10" and my buddy Mac is taller than I, so thereis news for you jackass

Anonymous
(no login)

March 25 2012, 9:34 AM 

Tell his Gramps to stop measuring you guys on skates.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 25 2012, 9:38 AM 

"strept throat" Ha! It is strep throat.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 25 2012, 10:31 PM 

Fuck u numbnuts...go back to your job at McDonald's. It is strept throat asshole. Short for streptococcus dickweed. Fucking hillbilly

Anonymous
(no login)

March 26 2012, 12:17 AM 

my son plays d1 ball hockey and hes only 11

Anonymous
(no login)

March 26 2012, 8:02 AM 

OMG! Look it up on the internet. It is Strep Throat. It is caused by the Streptococcus bacteria but it is called strep throat.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 26 2012, 8:58 AM 

LMFAO 10:31 king of the morons!!!!!

Anonymous
(no login)

March 26 2012, 10:27 AM 

CM and JHS won't report to Erie, so they may now go #6 and 7 b/c teams have already told other players they are taken them.

#3 - EC
#4 - RB
#5 - JM
#6 -
#7 -
#8 - JM

Anonymous
(no login)

March 26 2012, 10:29 AM 

EC may go NCAA, article in Ottawa newspaper says as much. Wait for it!

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/sports/Decision/6355206/story.html

Anonymous
(no login)

March 26 2012, 10:32 AM 

won't happen, he has a quicker road to the NHL

Anonymous
(no login)

March 26 2012, 10:35 AM 

He seems pretty committed to the process. Lots of excellent hockey players have gone the school route, none the worse for wear....

Anonymous
(no login)

March 26 2012, 10:51 AM 

not sure about that. compare former Oilers teammates Andrew Cogliano and Sam Gagner.

although both were 1st round NHL drafts, which one became a millionaire sooner and which one is earning more than double than the other?

or maybe former Kings teammates Jack Johnson & Drew Doughty, same story...

Anonymous
(no login)

March 26 2012, 10:54 AM 

I've seen Cornel, and he's got NHL potential. Worst case, if it doesn't work out for him, he'll get the full OHL education package as a first rounder. CM will be fine in the O. Just hope his minders don't start playing the "I might go NCAA/Shattuck's/etc" game to get out of going to Erie.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 26 2012, 11:01 AM 

OHL education package for OHL first rounders means squat. If drafted in the top couple of rounds in NHL draft and plays in the AHL the package is forfeited.

I say hgo NCAA, use the system on itself and leverage for the most that you can get. Two years at a Cornell or Harvard and then go pro. He can then get his degree after a few years.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 26 2012, 11:02 AM 

you have been?!? dude, they already have!!

Anonymous
(no login)

March 26 2012, 11:04 AM 

what kind of a degree do you get after 2 years? assuming you even have 2 years worth of credits.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 26 2012, 11:08 AM 

You are half-way through the program. Go back in the summers and you can finish when you are in the off-season from your pro hockey obligations. Sure is alot easier to complete half a degree part-time than a full degree.

Too many athletes really drop off the edge after finishing the game, even if they have alot of money, given they have nothing else to fall back on. Most people could care less, but it is a serious issue.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 26 2012, 11:17 AM 

ok, I hear you.

however when you said leverage the (NCAA) system, I would suggest to you that the very same can be said of the O while the kid is playing in the league.

a very strong argument (ala Gladwell's Outliers) can be made for the lack of development, ie who has a better and longer pro career.

google Victor Orsekovich and read his Notre Dame/Kitchener Ragner story. the point is a mature student is a mature student regardless of where you came from. we may have to add Jerry D'Amigo to that too soon...

Anonymous
(no login)

March 26 2012, 11:22 AM 

Sorry pal, you don't have all the answers. Unless you can transfer those credits, it'll cost you $50K US/year back at that US Div I school. I personally know 2 guys who went first round in OHL, it didn't materialize for them, and after 5 years in O they are currently getting everything paid for plus cashback from Cdn universities thanks to OHL education package. Next they'll go play europro, make some cash and then get real jobs back home with their Cdn degrees.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 26 2012, 11:26 AM 

Hmmm, personally I think I'd take my chances with a Harvard Business degree and 3 years of pro hockey vs. a 12 year NHL career, all things being equal.

But that is just me.

An intersting point I heard not too long ago was the notion that the OHL likes to point out that their schedule was close to an NHL game schedule and so better prepared players for the rigours of pro hockey.

The NCAA retort suggests, if a longer in-season game schedule is the key why doesn't the OHL play a 100 game schedule to increase even more the success at pro hockey?

To each their own, and ultimately I guess the player needs to be comfortable with their decision.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 26 2012, 11:33 AM 

11:22am Did they play in the AHL? If not they have 18 months to cash in their education package per the OHL talking heads at a number of seminars my son and I have sat in on this season.

I hate to tell you this, but the payback on money invested in a Harvard or Cornell degree is insignificant in the grand scheme of things. Unlike pro hockey, no-one can take your education away from you.

Mostly, we're talking on the same side of the argument and I never said I know everything. Just adding to the dialogue.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 26 2012, 11:33 AM 

11:26, your response was completely facetious.

just look at the number of elite US kids drafted very high and decommit from full ride scholies. just this past year JT Miller, Connor Murphy, Jamie Oleksiak (dual citizenship).

they are doing it specifically for the higher calibre competition and longer schedules. this is a fact sir.

and while you're rambling on about that choosing Harvard over major junior in the N54 make believe world, remember that the Habs Louis Leblanc did that in real life. not to mention Sidney did the very same however even you may agree that Sid made the right decision.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 26 2012, 11:47 AM 

Sid's clearly an aberration. How many like him out there?

Not sure what your premise is with Louis LeBlanc. There is no right answer as guys like Leblanc and D'Amigo may be farther along in terms of their pro hockey careers, but until they are finished playing and you can measure their earnings in hockey vs. what they could make ultimately with an education + pro hockey it is a moot point.

Tell you what, once both those guys are 5 years into their post-hockey lives, call them up and ask them if they would do anything different.

What's the rush?

Clearly I have a bias. Again, to me there is no right or wrong answer here.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 26 2012, 11:50 AM 

No, they didn't play AHL. 5 years in the O then straight into Cdn schools down east.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 26 2012, 11:55 AM 

Perhaps so-called Gold packages?

Listen, I've never claimed to know it all, simply re-telling what I have been told. My first and last time through this process (thank God) so getting the lay of the land that is quite confusing.......

Anonymous
(no login)

March 26 2012, 11:55 AM 

Perhaps so-called Gold packages?

Listen, I've never claimed to know it all, simply re-telling what I have been told. My first and last time through this process (thank God) so getting the lay of the land that is quite confusing.......

Anonymous
(no login)

March 26 2012, 12:10 PM 

11:47, I believe there is a right answer regarding blue chip prosepects. this was my Cogliano vs Gagner, Jackson vs Doughty point above. I know we can debate 'how to define blue chip at age 16' until the cows come home so it is a moot point here. it's best left to those few privileged enough to face that situation.

I do agree with you that in general there is no right or wrong answer. I is a family's personal decision based on many factors. I made the very same statement in the link below and again agree that our outlook may not be that far off in regards to education:
http://www.network54.com/Forum/672359/message/1332189290/Re-+Minor+Midget+upcoming+Draft

the bottom line is that there are no guarentees with any route. those thinking the NCAA is not a business like the OHL are fooling themselves (not talking about you here).

Anonymous
(no login)

March 26 2012, 12:15 PM 

11:55, you were told correctly. even "gold packages" are voided when the player signs either an NHL or AHL contract.

the fellow who mentioned "cash back" on their package, I believe he's talking about gold or plush non-standard packages (since he mentioned 1st round drafts) where kids get an extra allowance in addition to room & board and tuition. this is from the team not the school.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 26 2012, 12:18 PM 

* sorry voided with the 18 month provision as you mention.

I believe this should be extended to at least 24 months (36 would be ideal) as most ELC's are 3 years.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 26 2012, 12:23 PM 

mom need good fuck up de ASS you think

Anonymous
(no login)

March 26 2012, 12:26 PM 

I'm not a mom, you fucking freak. although I'm betting your sexual orientation isn't exactly gender specific. tool.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 26 2012, 12:28 PM 

mom need good fuck up her pussy my tool

Anonymous
(no login)

March 26 2012, 12:34 PM 

you should hook up with Graham James. you're both ass clowns.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 26 2012, 12:35 PM 

One thing I have learned in the GTHL (Fuck me there are a lot of jealous parents up in here)!!!!!!

Anonymous
(no login)

March 26 2012, 1:27 PM 

MY cock would fill her hole to the MAX

Anonymous
(no login)

March 26 2012, 1:29 PM 

BACK IN HIGH SCHOOL HER HOLE WAS WILL FILLED

Anonymous
(no login)

March 27 2012, 2:21 AM 

Who cares, kid with ES can play wherever he wants, and if he stays in O, will play for Sherwood. Either way, he's the best player to come out of Ontario, since E.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 27 2012, 12:22 PM 

Good for CMD .. make us proud boy!!!!

Current Topic - CM gets Exceptional Player Status!    
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement