Sports R4U - 2000 and Older.

[ Forum Rules. ] [ Requests For Moderation. ] [ Sports R4U - 2001 and Younger. ]

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Junior(B,C,D) Hockey in SouthWestern Ontario

April 8 2012 at 1:41 PM
Anonymous  (no login)

could someone with more hockey sense/experience shed some light on the nuances of a 16yo playing Jr Hockey

This is what(I think) I know
- Jr B are allowed 2 16yo
- Jr C&D are allowed 1 16yo
- EMC & Chatham lack AAA Major Midget

Thus, there is a bottleneck for 16yo AAA players next year

Questions:
- can a 16yo tryout for any Jr B, C, or D team he wishes or is he confined to a home centre?
- if a 16yo tries out for Strathroy, can he also tryout for London Nats as well?
- is Jr C a "dead-end"(ie. Jr B seems to recruit/AP from jr D)?

Thanks in advance

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Anonymous
(no login)

Re: Junior(B,C,D) Hockey in SouthWestern Ontario

April 8 2012, 4:14 PM 

a 16 year old cannot ap from Jr d to Jr b, you can only ap to Jr B from Midget AAA. tryout for B and then try and make a local Midget AAA team./ dont go D, you want the better hockey and the opportunity to ap to a B team. Your post mentions southwestern ontario, I would suggest you go to London Midget AAA. Most of their team moves on to OHL Jr B and Tier 2 after playing there. If he is able to make that team he will get lots of opportunity and lots of exposure Good luck.

Anonymous
(no login)

April 8 2012, 4:16 PM 

Sorry, forgot to mention also as a 16 year old you cannot ap from Jr C to Jr B, again the affiliation is only in place from Midget AAA

Anonymous
(no login)

April 8 2012, 5:02 PM 

Thx

Anonymous
(no login)

April 8 2012, 5:04 PM 

So then how did the kid from Port Stanley Junior D Sailors get to AP with the ST. Thomas Stars JR B?

Anonymous
(no login)

April 8 2012, 5:49 PM 

good question. In fact, on Port Stanley website it mentions that there is an "affiliation" with St.Thomas

Junior C Aylmer Spits seem to be off on their own with no affiliation with Jr B

Anonymous
(no login)

April 8 2012, 7:04 PM 

16 year old from port stanley jr d was not an ap for the stars. he just got to practice with them nothing more.

Anonymous
(no login)

April 8 2012, 7:17 PM 

That player will "likely" be playing with the Jr B team next year. I don't think he actually played with them. He was the Rookie of the Year and is expected to suit up for the Jr B Stars next year.

Anonymous
(no login)

April 8 2012, 7:44 PM 

They can have an ap agreement but it does not apply to the 16 year olds, thats why you will find most B coaches trying to encourage 16 years that they are not taking to go to AAA so they can ap them and they know the development stream is better for them. If they go to D and they are 16 they cannot use them in any games

Anonymous
(no login)

April 9 2012, 5:04 PM 

is there any downside to playing Jr C?

Anonymous
(no login)

April 9 2012, 6:39 PM 

This is lots of talk CK will be having Midget team

Anonymous
(no login)

April 10 2012, 7:51 AM 

Heard the same thing, CK will be back to having midget team, it was only one year (last year) that they were not able to put a team together and I think it was because they did not have a coach.

Anonymous
(no login)

April 11 2012, 9:01 AM 

what kind of hockey level is the Junior D loop
Is it basically just AA hockey with older players 16-21?
Do any D players move up to play B at some point or is it a dead end league?

Anonymous
(no login)

April 11 2012, 9:10 AM 

Stay away from Junior D, the development stream is very poor, just compare how many kids move on from Jr D to B and then compare your local AAA Midget, not even a comparison. The league is for older players and 16 year old Johnny just gets lost. He will not be a better player after a year of Junior D, he needs the ice time, the PK time, the PP time and lots of practice. Junior D (for the most part caters to their older players) To be a better player and get to the next level he needs the ice and the development. Not sure where you are from but there is a number of good AAA teams in southwetern ontario, if you can make one of those then I think your boy would have a good shot at Jr B the following year.

Anonymous
(no login)

April 11 2012, 9:16 AM 

I concur with post above, I have a boy that played Jr D when he was 16 (we discouraged him from this) but he thought he new better. He was a drafted player and even his OHL team thought he should play for our local MIdget AAA team. My son thought playing with the older players in a rougher league would make him a better player. It didnt, he is now in his third year of JR D. Most of his buddies that played Midget AAA are playing Jr B, tier 2 or on their OHL teams. Worst part for me is he has now settled for that because he got into the Jr D rut. My younger son, undrafted did play for our local Midget AAA team for one year, he is playing Jr B. Disappointing for my older boy, but he made the decision and was a life lesson.

Anonymous
(no login)

April 11 2012, 9:48 AM 

Junior C seems to be about the same
older players, with little chance of moving on in their careers

Anonymous
(no login)

April 11 2012, 10:07 AM 

BEEN THERE, DONE THAT, if somebody asks me I speak from experience and let them know if they have eligibility for Midget AAA, go that way. Stay far away from D and C, until you have to. Our boy went from being a very good hockey player to being another Jr C slug, one practice a week will do that. Even at that half the team doesnt show up for practice and nobody seems to care if you show up or not. Last year he decided to play more local and went to Jr D, same thing there. Few years ago he had aspirations of playing Jr B, they are all gone. He does have fun on his team and likes the guys but it is no longer about being a better hockey player.

Anonymous
(no login)

April 11 2012, 10:30 AM 

Ya I agree
Making a strong Midget AAA team is not easy as there are about 130 players that try out each year for about 6 to 8 openings, so its a long shot at best.
You have 2 local age groups trying out plus about two to three other team players from outside your area trying out.
Thing is, if you don't make that Midget team, you don't have allot of choices after this, High-school is good, then Junior C D ETC
You can always go back to your local A or AA team to play as well
good luck

Anonymous
(no login)

April 11 2012, 2:03 PM 

as an expierence AAA midget and JR B coach here are my thoughts , first both ck and em have applied with the alliance to submit a AAA midget team for 2012, playing AAA midget is a good thing as long as there is a quality coach in place so your development continues, if you haven't been drafted to the OHL or even if you have been drafted but are not interested in the OHL route then time is on your side, the vast majority of US schools don't give full rides till you are 19 or 20 years of age(primarily because an out of state out of country schorship is worth a pile of money and they believe as the player matures playing jr that the chances of the player getting home sick or failing grades is reduced)and yes you can ap from jr cto jrb and in fact from jrd to jrb , the rule states , you can be affiliated with one team and the number of games you can play til your team is elimanted are restricted ( you could play AAA midget and affliate with a jrc team for part of the season and then change before jan 10th to affliate with a jrb team , but whoever you are affliated with at jan 10 is where you must stay for the remainder of the season.......be careful because once you play one game in jrb thatteam than owns your jrb rights and teams have been known to play several players one game to own their playing rights.....Jr d is great for kids with limited talent but a great love for the game , the chances of developing are slim to nil as the quality of the older kids is limited and won't challenge an up and coming player with potential, if jr c is for one season and there is an affliation with a jr b team that allows you to practice on a regular basis and play the odd time as well as practice and play with the jrc team than that is a better option than being a 24th player with a jrb team and not getting much if any playing time...remember you have 3-4 years to develop so a US school is interested its a marathon not a race , if you are in a zone where your community doesn't have a AAA midget or Jr team , choose your coach over the team, you are still developing....good luck , think long term and development

Anonymous
(no login)

April 11 2012, 2:39 PM 

Anonymous
(no login)

April 11 2012, 4:00 PM 

You place Jr.A,B,C or D because you want to continue to play hockey nothing more. Some teir II jr.A players do go down and play NCAA hockey but you need to be at the top of the league to get those changes. If you think you are going to go on a play OHL or higher you're dreaming. 16 olds can play Jr.C but each team is limited to up to 4 max 16 year old players and they must be from their local community. Play one more year at midget then go looking for a team.

Anonymous
(no login)

April 11 2012, 4:41 PM 

Sorry buddy you need to read the Canadian Development Model, a 16 year old CANNOT CANNOT CANNOT ap from a Jr D or Jr C team to junior b team. Only a second year midget can. If you are a qualified Midget AAA or B coach you would know this. Remember the Lasalle / London game that got appealed and had to be replayed two years ago because Lasalle called up a Junior C 16 year old goalie, they broke the rules and paid the price. It is not within the rules and cannot be done. I do agree CK has applied for Midget team and will be approved based on history Elgin is trying but doubt it will be approved although no matter for them as they have their choice of anywhere , Lambton, Chatham, Huron Perth London, best of all of the worlds

Anonymous
(no login)

April 11 2012, 4:43 PM 

Junior C or Junior D can only take 1 16 year old

Anonymous
(no login)

April 11 2012, 4:48 PM 

I played 5 years of aaa and obviously had big dreams of playing in the OHL. When that became a distant reality I decided that I wanted to play Jr.B. And after a year of playing Jr.C when I was 16 I was fortunate to crack a good Jr. B team's line-up. After 2 years at the Jr.B level I decided I wanted to go to University in Canada and I had to make a decision. I decided that the Jr.C level might be an ideal level of hockey to balance with a University education and therefore I choose to end my career with a very successful Jr.C team. I know I was fortunate, but in my last 3 years of junior hockey playing Jr.C, I got to play as much hockey as possible (we made it the the all-Ontario finals all three years I was there)and finally won a Shmaltz Cup in my overage year. Not to mention the 3 Caribbean cruises the team went on every year. In my opinion, shoot for the stars when your young, but be careful not to put all your eggs in one basket. Because my parents stressed getting an education I can say that I graduated University and now have a good paying full-time job which I enjoy, not to mention the memories of a Junior Hockey Championship and a big ring to show it. Jr. C was not my goal when I was 14 years old, but I am not ashamed to say that I played it.

Anonymous
(no login)

April 11 2012, 5:12 PM 

4:41 - 4:00 didn't say anything about AP'ing, you need to read and understand the post before you comment on it.

Anonymous
(no login)

April 11 2012, 5:13 PM 

jr.C max of 2 - 16 years old only from there local community.

Anonymous
(no login)

April 11 2012, 5:16 PM 

4:43 great post, Jr.C,B,A is good overall hockey! I have coached jr.A for years, and the kids are great to work with, most shoot for a NCAA I/III education as they realize that the OHL is not going to happen.

Anonymous
(no login)

April 11 2012, 11:48 PM 

lmao jr D

Anonymous
(no login)

April 12 2012, 12:13 AM 

Jungle C/D

Anonymous
(no login)

April 12 2012, 12:16 AM 

Anonymous
(no login)

April 12 2012, 9:46 PM 

The Jr. D league has had some success of late promoting players to higher levels of hockey.

Sean Callaghan (94) - North Middlesex Stars signed with the Ottawa 67's (OHL)
Chad Sumsion (90) - Tavistock Braves - playing NCAA with Bowling Green Div. 1
Alex Murray (93) - Hagersville Hawks - #1 goaltender for Burlington Cougars OJHL Jr. A

D league is finished, all those teams will be playing C next season...no difference between c and d

Anonymous
(no login)

April 12 2012, 11:38 PM 

Junior C can indeed affiliate with Junior B...and Junior B can afiliate with Tier 2 Junior A. I don't care what the above poster says about reading Canadian Development model and "Cannot..Cannot,,,Cannot" It happens right here right now.

Anonymous
(no login)

April 13 2012, 8:26 AM 

Jr C and Jr D cannot affiliate as a team, the sixteen your player is what is restricted as laid out by the Canadian Development Model. The 17 year old Midget can AP the 16 year old cannot, he can practice and that is it. Below is copy of the CDM which outlines the restrictions on the 16 year old player. This is in place because Hockey Canada recognizes the development of the 16 year old is much better in Midget AAA then in either D or C. also you point out that 2 16 year olds can be on the roster again this is incorrect it is only 1, I have noted the CDM on this point as well

THE SIXTEEN (16) YEAR OLD PLAYER
Permanent affiliations from Junior C/D to Junior A/B or Major Junior will not be allowed.

Junior C/D may register one (1) sixteen (16) year old providing that he is a local player and there is not a
top level of Midget hockey available for that player in the area or he is not capable of playing that top level
of Midget Hockey.

Anonymous
(no login)

April 13 2012, 12:30 PM 

Sorry that was suppose to say Jr C and Jr D CAN affiliate as a team just 16 year old cannot affiliate (games)

Anonymous
(no login)

April 13 2012, 1:32 PM 

Jr C and D lost out on 14-15-16 yr olds in order to save AAA hockey...AAA is strong now but wasn't always that way

Anonymous
(no login)

April 21 2012, 6:48 PM 

Anonymous
(no login)

April 21 2012, 7:50 PM 

8:26
Junior C can ap more than 1 16 year old player however only 1 can play in a game at a time. I am speaking on experience with a 95 from last year

Anonymous
(no login)

April 21 2012, 8:35 PM 

JR C cannot ap a 16 year old to JR b, facts are your friend, read the CDM!!!! if you seen it happen then you are lucky the B team did not get caught because if they did they loose the win if they did win. just ask the Lasalle vipers, happened to them two years ago. a second year midget could ap though. A 16 year old CAN ap to the ohl team that he was drafted too and THATS it

Anonymous
(no login)

April 21 2012, 9:24 PM 

Jr B can AP MM players but only play 1 MM per game.

Anonymous
(no login)

April 21 2012, 9:27 PM 

that is correct JrB can ap a mm midget player but only one

Anonymous
(no login)

April 21 2012, 9:42 PM 

8:35
fuking idiot
i said junior c ap nothing about junior b
fact fuk yourself to death

Anonymous
(no login)

April 21 2012, 9:52 PM 

why would you want to play midget aaa and then ap to loser jr c or dr c hockey, i think most s smart hockey players would hold back their ap options and ap to a b team if all you have is only c in your zone then i guess yu dont have any better options. or you could get your kid to an area where at least your kid could ap to B or Tier 2 team

Anonymous
(no login)

May 5 2012, 11:19 PM 

Anonymous
(no login)

May 6 2012, 6:44 AM 

so a kid who is a minor midget player gets called up to play a game that jr. b teams owns his rights to play jr. b?
For how long?
should the kid get drafted to the ohl they still own his rights?

Anonymous
(no login)

May 6 2012, 10:01 AM 

very true

Anonymous
(no login)

May 6 2012, 12:14 PM 

fishfuckers

Anonymous
(no login)

May 6 2012, 5:34 PM 

Anonymous
(no login)

May 10 2012, 9:50 PM 

Some Jr D teams have alot of mediocre A players, and BB C etc

Anonymous
(no login)

May 10 2012, 10:18 PM 

Dwayne Roloson played Jr C for Norwich

A lot of 16year olds get their first taste of Junior hockey at the "D" or "C" level

Anonymous
(no login)

May 11 2012, 10:46 AM 

Dwayne Roloson, lol, are you dyslexic? Roloson was born in 69, were talking 96's. You think nothings changed?

There are more recent examples where players graduated from low level Junior teams to a hockey career. Those players are exceptions, Its easier to find players that regret playing Jr C & D as 16 year olds.

Anonymous
(no login)

May 11 2012, 12:24 PM 

Yes dont waste your time in D or C, my boy did and as the person above said he is one of those that regretted his decision and he cant take it back

Anonymous
(no login)

May 12 2012, 1:34 PM 

there is no longer any jr D. They are all jr C now.

Anonymous
(no login)

May 12 2012, 6:41 PM 

losers

Anonymous
(no login)

May 12 2012, 8:51 PM 

hard for 16 year old year olds to get cards

Anonymous
(no login)

May 13 2012, 11:14 AM 

Jr C or Jr D call it what you want, still same thing, not the best place for a 16 year old, it is certainly not about development

Anonymous
(no login)

May 13 2012, 12:10 PM 

Ya Ok so rather than play jr c or b your saying go back to AAA even if you have opportunity? Your a moron! AAA isn't better than any Jr hockey.

Anonymous
(no login)

May 13 2012, 12:33 PM 

AAA Midget hockey is better than Jr C for sure.

Anonymous
(no login)

May 13 2012, 3:21 PM 

wrong, AAA Midget is much better then Jr C

Anonymous
(no login)

May 13 2012, 6:14 PM 

ya and the GMHL is "Junior A" right?

Anonymous
(no login)

May 13 2012, 6:20 PM 

junior c is like houseleague

Anonymous
(no login)

May 13 2012, 6:52 PM 

Midget AAA is for A and AA players who have parents with money..finally a chance for that extra A because all the good players have moved on.

Anonymous
(no login)

May 13 2012, 9:41 PM 

midget AAA is good hockey

Anonymous
(no login)

May 13 2012, 9:43 PM 

Jr. C or Midget AAA?

AAA for sure better route to go.

Anonymous
(no login)

May 13 2012, 9:49 PM 

just get your cock sucked and you will forget all this hockey shit

Anonymous
(no login)

May 13 2012, 9:59 PM 

midget aaa is better

Anonymous
(no login)

May 13 2012, 11:04 PM 

yea aaa midget better than junior c

Anonymous
(no login)

May 14 2012, 10:09 AM 

Steve Mason played JR.C for Grimsby as a 16 year old. Bottom line is it depends on the coach and the organization. Some coaches will take the time to work with their younger players and continue to develop them as they are still quite young. There is also something to be said about learning from your teammates as many older players on good Jr.C teams have played at a higher levels. I say it depends on 3 factors- your kid's maturity level, the quality of the Jr.C team, and the type of coach that team has.

Anonymous
(no login)

May 14 2012, 10:13 AM 

very true

Anonymous
(no login)

May 15 2012, 11:58 AM 

Funny both "exceptions" cited involved a goalie - Junior C better for goalies than AAA picks of early bloomers!?

Anonymous
(no login)

May 16 2012, 9:37 AM 

good argument. goalies are goalies and regardless where they play their job is to stop the puck. as long as their not riding the pine, their getting exposed to more game minutes (60 min games + 20 minute warm-ups)and some harder shots from more mature players. If the goalie is playing just like a player it should be advantageous to play jr. The other side of the debate is the lack of quality practice time which is critical to player development. Like I said previously it all depends on the situation the team is in, and whether or not the team can utilize the young player.

Anonymous
(no login)

May 16 2012, 9:59 AM 

Practice time is very important, as is the actual program and coaches running it. Mason was placed with Grimsby by the London Knights after his draft year-and the placed in Jr B as a 17 year old.
Drafted players will be told at O camps to play Midget AAA, try out for T2 and in a few rare cases it will be suggested the player consider Jr C.
Parents thinking they know whats best based on a few exceptions who played Jr C or D and had successful careers (mostly 20+ years ago) are not doing whats best for their kids.

Anonymous
(no login)

May 16 2012, 10:35 AM 

yeah cause AAA has great goaltending coaches that you do not have to get on your own!

Anonymous
(no login)

August 1 2012, 8:30 AM 

Midget AAA is for kids that weigh less than 150 lbs and are soft - if you want to play hockey with the big boys, take your cage off and learn to compete in an intimidating environment - a 16 year old should play Junior C over Midget AAA. It will teach your boy to keep his mouth shut and play hard at a fast pace. Each team has a maximum of 4 overagers (21 years old). Most of these kids are at College or University and have opted to drop down a level to focus on studies. The SOJHL had 5 95's last year (lambeth and lucan didn't use their cards)- 3 were signed to Jr. B cards in May 2012 - as soon as the cards were available and all attended OHL Eval Camps. Attend an OHL camp and decide for yourself who was better off - the kid who played Junior C last year or the one who played Midget AAA - wont be hard to tell - the midget boy has a cage and a "I finally made AAA" sticker in his helmet....

Anonymous
(no login)

August 1 2012, 8:46 AM 

Nick Paul was drafted out of Midget AAA Miss Senators this past April by Brampton. He is listed as 6'2" 205lbs. Hardly small.

You know f all.

Anonymous
(no login)

August 1 2012, 10:02 AM 

Most 16 yr old wont play much in junior, confidence will suffer, etc...

Anonymous
(no login)

August 1 2012, 10:11 AM 

Do what is best for your kid, there are limited junior spots especially for 16 year olds.

Anonymous
(no login)

August 1 2012, 10:13 AM 

My son is a good sized kid, 6' 195lbs. We went to a tier 2 rookie camp as well as a junior C rookie camp in the spring, early summer.

What I saw was that my son was not ready physically or confidence-wise to play against 18/19 year olds in junior. He also plays in the Sunday sumemr league at Brampton Powerade and has slowly assimiliated himself into being a solid contributor. I do agree playing time would be at a real premium for a 16 year old in tier 2 or junior C.

The correct path for each player will be different depending on circumstances, but we are fine playing midget next season. He is actually looking forward to it.

My over-riding question is simply....what's the rush to play junior anyway?

Anonymous
(no login)

August 1 2012, 2:22 PM 

Chew, rookie parties, free tape, sticks and visors. and 19 year old puck bunnies. lets be real.

Anonymous
(no login)

August 1 2012, 2:27 PM 

.....for 16 year olds? No thanks.

Anonymous
(no login)

August 1 2012, 4:25 PM 

If that is the only reason kids are playing junior c then that will more than likely be their last stop before beer league. I don't think I would want my 16 year old to be around a bunch of pluggs like that!

Anonymous
(no login)

August 1 2012, 4:26 PM 

Agreed.

2:22 was clearly a plugg who revelled in those "perks."

Anonymous
(no login)

August 1 2012, 4:31 PM 

I find these listings amazing. A kid should always be playing hockey at the highest level possible at which they can contribute to the team. There are some valid development points for a 16 year old to practice and play with a junior or tier 2 team, but ultimately, if he is getting minimal ice time, he may be better off to play AAA, unless of course the AAA centre really sucks and the coaches are horrible (like Brantford for example), then the kid would be better of playing junior C or Junior D. Really, if you don't know what is best for your kid by the time he is 16, you are in a whole heap of trouble, and need to get the stars out of your eyes!

Anonymous
(no login)

August 2 2012, 1:01 PM 

Most C teams wont take a 16 year old unless he is capable of being a top six forward or top four d-man. With only one spot open for a 16 y/o most team can't waste a card, not to mention the harm it'll do to the kid's development by having him sit in the stands. Jr A teams seem to have no problem with it though.

Anonymous
(no login)

August 2 2012, 1:28 PM 

How do you find the drawing area for a Jr B team

Current Topic - Junior(B,C,D) Hockey in SouthWestern Ontario  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement