Sports R4U - 2000 and Older.

[ Forum Rules. ] [ Requests For Moderation. ] [ Sports R4U - 2001 and Younger. ]

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Why you shouldn't count on Jr. drop-downs...

April 25 2012 at 10:22 AM
  (no login)

I have coached in the G at various age / skill levels, A - AAA.

My experience is that at the AAA level and at a Midget age I used to wait for cuts from various Junior clubs to come out and fill a few of the spots I'd put aside. However, what I'd noticed over the years was that alot of these Junior cuts look at playing AAA as a demotion and at this age, attitude and energy directed towards play on the ice starts to nose-dive. I found that there were kids who were still trying to move up, (late-bloomers and some of the kids who were passed over in the draft), were the ones who would step up and play like hell.

So to those coaches who think waiting for a cut to come your way is the way to go I say think again. You're not getting what you think you're getting and letting opportunities slip away because of bias.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Anonymous
(no login)

Re: Why you shouldn't count on Jr. drop-downs...

April 25 2012, 10:27 AM 

thanks Scotty Bowman for the wise words now slither back into your hole

Anonymous
(no login)

April 25 2012, 10:28 AM 

10:27am spoken like a true, classic N54 fucktard....bravo!

Anonymous
(no login)

April 25 2012, 10:40 AM 

OP has a very good point.

Anonymous
(no login)

April 25 2012, 10:59 AM 

OP is trying to get his undrafted kid a Midget AAA spot.

Anonymous
(no login)

April 25 2012, 11:04 AM 

10:28am...close, but to be a true NW54 Fucktard one must insert the word "Kaboom" somewhere in their sentence (preferably with lots of vowels, 'cause that's really funny), or maybe a LOL at the end.

Anonymous
(no login)

April 25 2012, 11:12 AM 

Or insert the words "soar looser"

Anonymous
(no login)

April 25 2012, 11:30 AM 

Good point from OP, in fact it applies at lower levels too. I used to coach A hockey and the worst players were the AA cuts who joined our team. Kids were lazy and lacked ambition, they got cut so life was not worth living.

Anonymous
(no login)

April 25 2012, 12:03 PM 

So never take cuts from higher levels-they will be lazy and unmotivated?

None of those kids want to show the coach was wrong, good to know.

And the drafted players waiting to see if they'll still with a Jr team-better to take a kid that didn't go in 15 rounds of the O draft over a 3-5 round selection that likely won't make a Jr team?

Anonymous
(no login)

April 25 2012, 12:05 PM 

Don't think he said never take them I think he said do not be surprised if they don't turn out to be the best fit for your team. If they get the chance they will be off to play Junior B somewhere rather than play Midget.

Anonymous
(no login)

April 25 2012, 1:34 PM 

op, not sure about that gleam of yours. unless something doesn't seem right about the kid, teams will always take the better players, period.

Anonymous
(no login)

April 25 2012, 2:35 PM 

Talking about players who would be the best on Midget teams vs signing the weakest that are available right now.

Anonymous
(no login)

April 25 2012, 10:47 PM 

so how many drop down to midget AAA teams?
How many players has a midget team now signed up? Half?

Anonymous
(no login)

April 26 2012, 1:42 PM 

How many drop down?....most, and they are the cream of the crop-that is why the O drafted these players. Almost every player drafted after round 2 play Midget AAA next season with a few exceptions who play Jr B-C-D.
Don't feel secure if a coach signs your 96, signed players can still be cut next fall.

Anonymous
(no login)

April 26 2012, 4:43 PM 

Which means even less spots for '96s!!

Anonymous
(no login)

April 26 2012, 7:06 PM 

Those drafted after the 2nd round are not cream of the crop. They are the kids of the best connected parents. You shouldn`t confuse the two.

Anonymous
(no login)

April 27 2012, 12:03 AM 

drafts , rounds, AAA, all BS. Did you see Joel Ward last nite? UPEI, where? UPEI. And there are lots like him.Zenon Konopka.The playoffs reveal them every year. There are many routes to the pros, and many routes to a career in pro sports , whatever it may be. You won't get that advice on this site. I didn't graduate from Harvard, but I worked with many who did.Unfortunatly when their parents were gone, they were outed fairly quickly in the real world and were utter failures. Success comes in many forms. If you were to read this site you'd believe you have no future unless you wore a Marlie uniform, you are useless.Well read some success litature . More people support an underdog than a prima donna, and thats the way it should be.

Anonymous
(no login)

April 27 2012, 12:03 AM 

drafts , rounds, AAA, all BS. Did you see Joel Ward last nite? UPEI, where? UPEI. And there are lots like him.Zenon Konopka.The playoffs reveal them every year. There are many routes to the pros, and many routes to a career in pro sports , whatever it may be. You won't get that advice on this site. I didn't graduate from Harvard, but I worked with many who did.Unfortunatly when their parents were gone, they were outed fairly quickly in the real world and were utter failures. Success comes in many forms. If you were to read this site you'd believe you have no future unless you wore a Marlie uniform, you are useless.Well read some success litature . More people support an underdog than a prima donna, and thats the way it should be.

Anonymous
(no login)

April 27 2012, 8:50 AM 

Any chance that once some of these '96 kids go for a few skates that they realize their chances are minimal and start looking for a team?

Anonymous
(no login)

April 27 2012, 9:16 AM 

Exactly 8:50. Many players already know they won't be playing Jr even before skating. Kids drafted rounds 2/3-10 should go where the O club suggests, or at least give that suggestion a lot of consideration. It will likely be MM AAA, coaches know that so keep openings.

Anonymous
(no login)

May 1 2012, 11:13 AM 

If the team that drafted your boy has affiliation with a tier 2 or jr B club, look at that as being the spot to be as the O team will be in touch with their affiliate more regularly than a AAA club. The AAA option is a great option still, and shouldn't be viewed as anything but a part of the process.

If you boy does well in school, you may consider playing college hockey rather than going the O route. Although athletic scholarships are harder to come by, your boy can achieve a scholarship in his later teens and even as a 20 yr old.

The dream doesn't have to die at the junior draft table. Sometimes the path changes, that's all. In recent years I have coached players that have gone both routes to the NHL....three with degrees and pro contracts that were signed after finishing college and two that went the route of the CHL, we're drafted and are now in the show. As for their teammates that never made it.... All are doing well in their chosen fields following school or trade school.

All these boys will agree that hockey gave them opportunity, friends for life and a desire to teach the game to others as they get settled in in their lives.

That in itself makes this coach awfully proud.

Anonymous
(no login)

May 1 2012, 12:11 PM 

Know any kids that neglected school for hockey 11:13? Its only a rumour, but I heard of a kid that missed the draft day wake up call. Its said he works at Loblaws stocking shelfs, hoping to catch on with a landscaping contractor eventually.

Anonymous
(no login)

May 1 2012, 12:50 PM 

Well sure 12:11, I probably know of 50,000 kids like that for every 1 who beats the odds and makes it. We make a living off dads trying to keep the dream alive and beat those odds though. That's why I keep posting about exceptions, did you know Howie Morenz was a late bloomer in the 30's?
No money to be made once kids start playing for fun, your kids need to work hard to beat the odds. I can see something in your kid just by the way you posted; I'd like to work with him. Its all about development and the connections I have.

Anonymous
(no login)

May 1 2012, 1:25 PM 

Why so angry dipshit, kids shouldn't dream?

Anonymous
(no login)

May 1 2012, 4:28 PM 

11:13, good post. for those willing to work hard and are determined, draft day did not close any doors.

Anonymous
(no login)

May 5 2012, 8:25 AM 

Ok, lets see 16 year olds playing under 21, getting 6 minutes of ice a game, getting hit all over the ice, hurt most of the year. 3rd and forth line AAA 96 players gettin 6 minutes or less a game in AAA go mjr, play on a team with some friends and some good players gettin 15 to 20 minutes of ice. Hmmm wake up. You can play AA mjr and be ready for midget AAA the next year and have a good AAA year because you were healthy. Lots of second year players get drafted at this age. Development comes from playing in games and touching the puck. Development does not come from being on the bench.

Anonymous
(no login)

May 5 2012, 8:50 AM 

Iginla cut from bantam AAA did not make his home town JR team lucic cut from minor miget AAA team Steve Thomas played 16 years in the NHL not drafted lots of players have storeys of how they got to the NHL dont panic let him play

Anonymous
(no login)

May 5 2012, 1:35 PM 

8:25am I don't disagree, but good coaching, high intensity practices and having to work hard every shift for ice-time in jr. A are desireable and the new normal going forward.

Anonymous
(no login)

May 5 2012, 5:11 PM 

8:25, if your 16 year old is capable of earning (not you "buying") 1 of 2 spots in T2/jr B, then he should play at that level, period. not just any 16 year old can do this and the pro's outweigh the con's.

Anonymous
(no login)

May 6 2012, 12:04 AM 

Anonymous
(no login)

May 6 2012, 10:01 AM 

This has happend over the years

Current Topic - Why you shouldn't count on Jr. drop-downs...  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement