[INDEX]

Return to Index  

Perpetual trusts might be killing cryonics.

December 21 2010 at 3:50 AM
Rick  (Login recreation)
Owner
from IP address 98.165.81.74

Response to PERPETUAL TRUSTS

Wealthy cryos are forming perpetual trusts...

DeRivaz writes about this...

John deRivaz replied:

Well, if each person had to put up $30k, then this would be a big drain on possible bequests to CI and I would be against CI helping to make this happen. It is also totally unnecessary in terms of what is needed.
http://www.cryonics.org/immortalist/may04/perpetuities.htm

Ben Best and Robert Ettinger speak to this too...

Robert Ettinger has frequently noted the value of being a benefactor to CI in addition to the minimum funding. The more people who are benefactors -- who leave substantial amounts of money to CI through their estate or (better) through an over-funded insurance policy (thereby avoiding probate) stronger CI can become. Money is energy, money is strength. The Also, bequests to CI show a benevolence to your fellow cryonicists -- part of a group of people working together for a common cause.

I would not want to encourage individual perpetual trusts if it is only going to mean a decline in bequests to CI. I would want to help create simple templates and a fiscal/legal structure for South Dakota perpetual trusts if it means more service to our Members, more options and more reason for people to want to be a part of our organization and to support it.

Ben
uqnuote

http://www.cryonics.org/immortalist/may04/perpetuities.htm

Alcor has numerous conferences encouraging "wealth preservation" and "perp trusts" --- destroying their own bequests. This is a disaster. And now it's coming home to roost. Wealthy cryonicists are traitors to the cause, in effect. I first realized this only in the past couple of years... about 2007 I think. I was horrified when I realized what was happening.

You can respond to this entry without logging in but you won't see it unless or until I approve it.

Respond to this message   
Find more forums on Network54Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
[INDEX]