[INDEX]

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

MINIMUM FUNDING

December 12 2010 at 3:20 AM
Rick  (Login recreation)
Owner
from IP address 98.165.81.74

From Alcor a short time ago...

To help ensure optimal procedures will be available at time of cryopreservation, Alcor members are encouraged to plan for future increases in cryopreservation funding requirements in accordance with their life expectancy.  In short, if you are not funded at or above current cryopreservation minimums at the time of death, you may not receive an optimum cryopreservation.

http://www.alcor.org/blog/?p=1419#more-1419

My comment... This effectively cancels the grandfathering tradition in no uncertain terms. I might as well stop paying membership dues-- which were supposed to reserve my 50K neuro grandfathered position. Membership now means nothing.

I could simply leave my inadequate 50K policy with Alcor and allow them to treat me at any level they wish... without expectation of anything... because they promise nothing other than to cover all their costs... no matter how bad my cryopreservation is.

This factor along with the increased dues for the second year in a row-- leads me to "optimize" my cryonics situation by converting to a PALM plan where I can leave the final funding to whatever I can leave Alcor in my estate through a will or trust... with a 50K Alcor-owned insurance policy down payment on my cryonics treatment that will not be increased for the rest of my life.

You can respond to this entry without logging in but you won't see it unless or until I approve it.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Rick
(Login recreation)
Owner

Alcor's statement is too general... they should have a chart.

December 21 2010, 9:50 PM 

Alcor could have created a chart... thinking about the rate of inflation, the rule of 27-- and the advance of technology... so that you could simply sign up and look at the chart of "life expectency" for your age... and the year you would be expected to deanimte... and the related amount of insurance you've have to buy as young as possible...

For example, a 34 year old in 1991 (me), could have looked at a life expectency chart... and seen that my deanimation would occur at 100, optimistically... in 66 years... so that given a rate of inflation--as graphed in recent articles by Platt and Frietas... you would expect the highest tech preservation to cost, say, $1,000,000 in 2057... the new member would be ADVISED to get a million in insurance now... and be looking at cash value curves ( in case he needs to cash out at some point)... then... Alcor could have "guaranteed" a product through the next 66 years with no problem... but with no guarantee of the most advanced treatment after 2057.

Even now, Alcor could sell cryonics that way.

You can respond to this entry without logging in but you won't see it unless or until I approve it.

Respond to this message   
Rick
(Login recreation)
Owner

What are cryopreservation minimums for each year through 2110 AD?

December 22 2010, 8:39 AM 

To be honest, Alcor should publish a cryopreservation minimum chart for each year through 2110 or even beyond that.

example
neuro
2010 80K
2020 90K
2030 100K
2040 120K
2050 150K
2070 200K
2100 500K
2200 1M
2500 10M
3000 100M
6999 1B
10,000 AD 10 Trillion

To be safe, and economical, buy the insurance as early as you can in life that corresponds with your "deanimation expectency". Mine would be 2070 so I'd have to have purchased 200K.

One of Platt's articles has a chart like this... link it here if you can find it.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on Network54Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
[INDEX]