[INDEX]

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

PERPETUAL TRUSTS

December 21 2010 at 3:44 AM
Rick  (Login recreation)
Owner
from IP address 98.165.81.74

Perpetual trusts might be killing cryonics.

You can respond to this entry without logging in but you won't see it unless or until I approve it.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Rick
(Login recreation)
Owner

Perpetual trusts might be killing cryonics.

December 21 2010, 3:50 AM 

Wealthy cryos are forming perpetual trusts...

DeRivaz writes about this...

John deRivaz replied:

Well, if each person had to put up $30k, then this would be a big drain on possible bequests to CI and I would be against CI helping to make this happen. It is also totally unnecessary in terms of what is needed.
http://www.cryonics.org/immortalist/may04/perpetuities.htm

Ben Best and Robert Ettinger speak to this too...

Robert Ettinger has frequently noted the value of being a benefactor to CI in addition to the minimum funding. The more people who are benefactors -- who leave substantial amounts of money to CI through their estate or (better) through an over-funded insurance policy (thereby avoiding probate) stronger CI can become. Money is energy, money is strength. The Also, bequests to CI show a benevolence to your fellow cryonicists -- part of a group of people working together for a common cause.

I would not want to encourage individual perpetual trusts if it is only going to mean a decline in bequests to CI. I would want to help create simple templates and a fiscal/legal structure for South Dakota perpetual trusts if it means more service to our Members, more options and more reason for people to want to be a part of our organization and to support it.

Ben
uqnuote

http://www.cryonics.org/immortalist/may04/perpetuities.htm

Alcor has numerous conferences encouraging "wealth preservation" and "perp trusts" --- destroying their own bequests. This is a disaster. And now it's coming home to roost. Wealthy cryonicists are traitors to the cause, in effect. I first realized this only in the past couple of years... about 2007 I think. I was horrified when I realized what was happening.

You can respond to this entry without logging in but you won't see it unless or until I approve it.

Respond to this message   
Rick
(Login recreation)
Owner

CPlatt ignores the bequest issue addressed by Best, Ettinger and deRivas... why?

December 21 2010, 3:57 AM 

Cplatt is a libertarian individualist and reductionist... he points to the problem here...

http://www.network54.com/Forum/672374/message/1292194748/CPLATT%27S+articles+turned+down+by+Alcor+Cryonics+mag

....but is blind to the solution-- which is clearly seen by Best, DeRivaz and Ettinger... bequests. CPlatt headed the defunct Cryocare based on his financial model... so obviously theres no solution there. Alcor's wealthy cryos are destroying Alcor due to their self-interest in thier "wealth preservation" and losing their ability to be cryopreserved in the process. It's plain stupid... Best, DeRivaz and Ettinger have more financial insight than any wealthy cryonicist wanting to "preserve their wealth".

Alcor's solution is to dump grandfathering, jack up membership fees every year, raise funding minimums with the threat of less service for the "underfunded"... such as few personnel... or no washout... completetly destroying the credibility of cryonics... all for the sake of individual preservation of wealth.... at the expense of the MISSION OF CRYONICS as a whole. Denying the collective when one is part of the collective is idiotic...

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on Network54Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
[INDEX]