World Wide Chain Saw Carving Forum
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Robbed again

January 15 2012 at 12:38 PM
ken Sheen  (no login)

Last night we had the front of out shop hit. Two large sculptures and a small one were stolen. I,m just sick. this is not the first time I have had this happen. I like to have sculptures out on display but can,t afford to take a hit like this. I don,t know what the answer is. I don,t want it to look like a prison out there. carmera,s and sign,s Naybe a mean dog.(real good for bussiness)

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Art H.
(no login)

I have had similar problem.

January 15 2012, 1:33 PM 

Cameras are good Ken, but have a high and low lens set up. The receiver should be in a remote or well hidden site. Low lens should be set for license plate angle.

Respond to this message   
joe r
(no login)

Re: I have had similar problem.

January 15 2012, 2:27 PM 

thats a shame.I dont leave anything out at my shop cause sooner or later it would be gone.Its to bad because if I could really decorate the grounds I know many more people would come in.As tired as it gets to do everyday we drag some stuff out and then back in.Maybe light the place up better,chain stuff down,fake cameras,dog house.

Respond to this message   

Barre
(Premier Login 1pinske)
Owner

Sorry to hear

January 15 2012, 2:48 PM 

That really sucks. I hope the work turns up. seems like you need to do something to secure the work.

Respond to this message   

Butch Elrod
(Login WoodHacker)

Re: Sorry to hear

January 16 2012, 9:20 AM 

Dogs are good for security and they do not need to mean. Just possessive. I've read that the best anti-burglar dog team is something like the mini-schnauzer {who will patrol his area constantly} and a big dog with a big bark for the schnauzer to go wake up.

I have a fellow working for me, on occasion, who has spent half his life in prison for multiple burglary conviction. He says, "A burglar will not go into a yard with a barking dog."

Butch Elrod - WoodHacker.com

World Map of Chainsaw Carving Artists

Respond to this message   
bradsr
(no login)

Re: Robbed again

January 16 2012, 9:40 AM 

Post a few big signs that says smile you are on camera
When they case the place this will not make it look easy
This is a cheap fix not the best
Like dad said locks only keep honest people honest
bradsr

Respond to this message   
joe r
(no login)

Re: Robbed again

January 16 2012, 4:04 PM 

how big were the pieces Ken?

Respond to this message   
dave
(no login)

It sucks

January 16 2012, 4:55 PM 

Sorry to hear that you got ripped off.

I have had stuff taken too and it sucks but what can ya do?
I have always liked leaving thing out, I like to think of them as just thoughts on the ground or it may just be fodder.
As I put more time into finish work, I find myself getting more possesive," that things worth more then just a thought, " it might even be collectable happy.gif

I believe that if someone steals something from you they may never understand it or the joy of creating, I have to feel sorry for them for that.

Some jackass once thought it would be a great idea to drive his jeep up onto a snow sculpture - just for fun - he rolled his jeep.

I have a rescue dog that scares the crap out people and I really wish she wouldn't do that because she has a good heart and is a good companion, I wonder how much more finish work I have to put into her?
Yey but then someone might just take her.

I hope you find the balance

Dave

Respond to this message   

Fred Avila
(Login FredAvila)

Spread the word.........

January 17 2012, 4:35 AM 

If you have any local news media in your area, I would certainly take advantage of the "power of the press". They are always looking for a story. Hi Ken.

Respond to this message   
Ken Sheen
(no login)

Low lifes

January 17 2012, 7:32 AM 

What was stolen was a seven foot tall cigar store Indian. hand painted and a half mount Ram life size and a bear mask. all these carvings are a one of a kind and very recognizable. We were broke into up north a few years ago and it really hurt us. I,m tierd of being a mark. I will be makeing some changes to the shop this spring. I have a german shepard coming as well.

Respond to this message   
joe r
(no login)

Re: Low lifes

January 17 2012, 8:54 AM 

ouch,just the indian alone. Hope you get the carvings back.

Respond to this message   

buzzsaw
(Login buzzsawz)

January 17 2012, 3:04 PM 

[linked image] my second location is in a high crime rate area so i built a chain link fence around , also motion lights , layers of security , warning signs and letting neighbors know you and who is not you helps . there is no way to stop criminals i had a guy steal two cordless drills and a skil saw i would have give him . i think he knows i know he did it the funny part is he kind of thinks he got away with it revenge is a dish best served cold and i like serving extra helpings

Respond to this message   

Mike K
(Login mykee50)

January 18 2012, 1:54 PM 

How much for the little guy with the red shirt? happy.gif

Respond to this message   

buzzsaw
(Login buzzsawz)

January 19 2012, 4:18 PM 

i sell them for 22 bucks and 11 wholesale on ebay there 35

Respond to this message   
Dave Conklin
(no login)

Prevention

January 17 2012, 6:00 PM 

Sorry you lost so much.
I think locking your pieces to eye bolts in your decking or ground ancors in your yard would be best.
I saw someone steal my coat from my truck, on camera, didn't make a difference. If your use them like Barre it could be good.
A bad dog scares the bad guys but also scares customers too, train it well or your could have problems.
Good fences make good nieghbors but a six foot chain link says stay out.

You have to be mad right now but think it through.

Good luck

Dave

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Thank you for joining Pinske's World Wide Chainsaw Carving Forum