World Wide Chain Saw Carving Forum
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Saw Dogs final analysis

January 18 2012 at 7:28 PM
Doc Parker  (no login)

That show is funny. There's no real continuity, and no one would hire a guy like the saw bitch, people that wanna learn to carve are like flies on a rainy day. Ya can't get rid of them while you're trying to work.I did love to see a bunch of the folks we watch as our friends/heroes( NO RD, this don't include YOU!!) and see some weird stuff that is strictly fantasy also. Having been a judge, I also see things maybe some of you miss. Did you notice the primaries on that eagle were upside down?? Yes, the feather's trailing edge is on the top of the wing. Also in the eagle posted afterward from ZZ has the same flaw. I have noticed this while judging at hand carving shows and is a mistake a lot of amateurs do. Let me re-phrase this, People who aren't bird fanatics, or don't study anatomy enough, or copy other artists work trying to learn and don't check for accuracy, etc etc etc. Here's a Samodowski piece taht everyone ooooo'd and awwwww'd at and look at the feathers. The wind would flow thru them and the bird would plummet to the earth and crash if they were built this way!!![IMG][linked image][/IMG]

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Doc Parker
(no login)

It seems everyone is guilty of this

January 18 2012, 7:35 PM 

Here is a very dynamic owl by Randy Boni with the same problem.[IMG][linked image][/IMG]

Respond to this message   
Doc Parker
(no login)

I love this bench

January 18 2012, 7:40 PM 

But, the underside of the wings is correct, and look at the outer/top of the wing!! Can you have it both ways??[IMG][linked image][/IMG]

Respond to this message   
Doc Parker
(no login)

Meanwhile.....

January 18 2012, 7:48 PM 

Back to Saw Dogs. I really hope they don't make us look like crazy people with saws, the fears of them giving away the store aren't there, they show very little about skill. I hope people don't see us as greedy from the mentioned prices, etc. I guess they needed drama and the real artistic license was in the writing!! hahahahaha. I really liked hearing Steve Backus,and Dave Tremco talk, you can only imagine from photos. I also felt they made Samo, and Pete seem kinda nasty,( Kinda like RD comes off ya know??) I know they probably aren't like that in real life. Anyway, If ever you need a good judge call me,( hahahaha, yeah right huh?) Keep an eye on your details, someone's watching!! The bright side??? We got on TV!!!!! Yayyy!

Respond to this message   

john willliams
(Login bigjohn1895)

Re: Meanwhile.....

January 18 2012, 8:50 PM 

ok doc im not sure what your trying to say here

Respond to this message   
Doc Parker
(no login)

I guess..

January 19 2012, 3:46 AM 

Put your best foot forward. If you're gonna do detailed work, pay attention to details. I liked seeing our contemporaries, but they weren't portrayed fairly because of the producers. The story line is weak. Can you win a comp with exposed bolts? Is this a "Reality" show?( Random thoughts from an unfocused mind).

Respond to this message   

Barre
(Premier Login 1pinske)
Owner

Good job Doc

January 19 2012, 5:05 AM 

What they say in Art school is learn everything and then forget it. I have met so many carvers over the years who do not study, don't go to a museum heck don't hardly look a pictures for that matter. They say it comes from with in. Lol well with in may not have much to offer. That is why they booted me from the other forum. I called it like it often is folk art or outsider art.

Not that it really matters but if it is going to really be great art it needs to meshed up on art terms. Anything left out from ignorance is the fault of the artis't not God. We are not all Michaelanglo or Bernini nor does that really matter. But to make claims of greatness based on your own amazement with your self means nothing more than making your biggest Turd.

There are a lot of turd polishers out there and I love all of you. I want the best for all of us as carvers I'm just not all that amazed with what we do as a whole form what I've seen in art. We will start to get recognized and collected in the next few years we all could step it up.

I think I would like to have more artist's come work and try to learn from each other and be productive. Sawdustsky and Tyoneon do that it helps them. Ken Packie too.

If we really want to get big bucks and be recognized we need to do good work my self included. I'm kind of in training right now so to speak. I am focusing on paying my place down and fixing it up so I can afford to take the time it takes to do the best work I can. Time and money and I guess talent. It takes a lot of it to make it in this biz.

It all comes down to production and value. No production no money. Make crap get paid little. Have no exposure there is no on to buy your work. No one to buy no money, no money you can't afford to make anything.

Wow it's easy to be a philosopher laying in a cloud bed. Lol.

Respond to this message   

buzzsaw
(Login buzzsawz)

Re: I guess..

January 19 2012, 5:44 AM 

correct anatomy is crucial when you portray yourself as a master anatomist i guess i like the stylized feathers even though the functionality is not there . in a contest fatal flaws!!!! when judged by one in the know , its almost like michaelangelo carving davids hand backwards . i think dyslexia runs rampant among artists da vinci scribbled words without puntuation wrote backwards and some think in code hence mirror writing but this is the way dyslexic leftys write it comes natural . myself i think real art is wings on backwards , reverse jointed elbows ,hulks and pirates and stump buggs but thats me i like exposed bolts it gives it a mechanical look [linked image] one reason i dont listen to master anatomists becuase when there preaching on there soap box there standing there with there shoes on the wrong feet ha ha ha !!!

Respond to this message   
Schaef
(no login)

Hmmm...

January 19 2012, 7:00 AM 

I looked at Samudowski and Boni's pieces and stopped at "Wow".

Respond to this message   

Barre
(Premier Login 1pinske)
Owner

I like it too

January 19 2012, 8:27 AM 

I think those guys really depict what chainsaw carving is. Jeff's works consistently go for the most dough at RW some where around $2500 at auction. Personally I think he's the most collectible and represents our craft well. Most auction values are around 40% of a true retail value. That would make the pieces around $6500. I'm not sure what he gets for them it would be interesting to find out. If I was to do that type of work I'd shot for that.

Respond to this message   
joe r
(no login)

Re: I like it too

January 19 2012, 9:31 AM 

I dont give a rats ass how many feathers there are or how correct they are.Theres a bazzilion people who can study pictures and figurines and do the same carving over and over.I could carve a real nice eagle if i studied and practised,so what,thousands can do that.I care about the feel of the piece.I dont care if the feathers are backwards and bent in half as long as the piece has some charm oozing from it.Ughhhhhhh if we all studied and carved things that looked exactly like things,boring.celebration of imagination and self expression is where its at.Now having said that the general population is wowed when you can make something real looking,I cant figure it out and Im glad i cant.

Respond to this message   

R.D. Coonrod
(Login R.D.C.)

Re: I like it too

January 19 2012, 9:31 AM 

Feeling a little insecure this morning teddy poo? Your comments are just down right hurtful. lol Actually they are quite amusing coming from a freeloading no talent alcoholic that won’t support himself. You don’t have the ability to do the block out for any of the sculptures that you displayed, nor the qualifications to be a saw bitch for any of the artists that you commented on. Yet this self titled third party doc personality seems to feel that one of your personalities are qualified to pass judgement on them. You have more than likely never met, or personally seen any of these guys or their work, as you are terrified to show up at an actual event, other than a close circle jerk with others like you. Doing something wrong for 30 years does not make you an authority on anything, just a slow learner. Shame on you. Anyone can be a judge. I have seen them come from all walks of life, even the bar across the street. But please don’t go away, you have been a great example of a bad example over the years.

Barre I still have to disagree with you on what art is. Your ideas seem to require a lot of textbook education on what art is before you can become an artist. I have always felt that art comes from within. No rules or regulations other than those placed by the artist.
I do not feel art could have evolved based on education. Education only teaches what has been done before. So, which came first? Art or the art school? I am not trying to start an argument, just offer another perspective. Art, Love, Grace, Faith and God will never be defined to the point that everyone will agree exactly on what each of them are. An understanding requires a Personal perception. Being that it is personal, everybody has the ability to create their own ideas. Some will agree with each other and form groups. Others may not agree, but feel like they are being left behind, so they adopt the ideas of the others in order to fit in. As the numbers of this group grows, through many fear based tactics, so do their ideals, and their ability to create popular belief through the masses. Before long you have the society of fine arts, full of artists terrified to jump outside of the acceptable thoughts of the group as a whole.

Believe it or not, the fine arts society was not intended to be as such. The founder is George Irwin from Quincy Illinois. I have personally talked with the man on several occasions and have known a lot of his personal friends all my life. Egos, greed, and corruption became more common than good intensions in this organization causing it to take on several knew lives. This seems to happen a lot in our society. Blame it on capitalism, or what is referred to as capitalism.

If our shows only produced 40% of average retail, I would quit and do retail. Based on the prices I see in shops all over the country, we are averaging well over 100%. Based on carvers talking on the internet, we would still be in the high 80's. Well advertised events in populous areas using 5 qualified artists always produce a much greater average price per piece than other events and our totals are generally comparable to events hosting 40 carvers or more. I'm not sure where you get your info, but it certainly disagrees with our statistics.

Respond to this message   

Barre
(Premier Login 1pinske)
Owner

RD is right

January 19 2012, 9:42 AM 

Art started with cave men. You can be a cave man with a chainsaw if you never take any time to have an interest in what is.

Art is about ripping art a new ass or cutt'in it one in our case. Want to be a great artist? Tare apart all that it is. Simple lol

It is hard to win the game if you don't know the rules that is all I'm saying. What you have within is what it is all about but if you score for the other team you will no be allowed to play. That's the way it works like it or not.

Respond to this message   

R.D. Coonrod
(Login R.D.C.)

Gotta love that Joe Rego guy!!!!

January 19 2012, 9:46 AM 

I just love it when you get so passionate about a topic that you have to let it out in words. Fingers hurt? lol Thats a language I understand and agree with. A true, from the heart art form, honesty in the face of diversity, rare, luv it!

Respond to this message   

buzzsaw
(Login buzzsawz)

Re: Gotta love that Joe Rego guy!!!!

January 19 2012, 10:29 AM 

im not sure why folks get upset doc is pointing out imperfections that are there most dont have the vision to see it . i like the flaws in work

Respond to this message   

Barre
(Premier Login 1pinske)
Owner

I wanted to add earlier

January 19 2012, 12:59 PM 

I think chainsaw carving is way more than real looking carved things I agree with Joe from that perspective. His whimsy is an example of a more expressive form of chainsaw carving. I think he really leads in what that style is and has defined it in a way.

I want to be clear I don't really give a shit what anyone does when I talk about stuff it's what I think is true with respect to the way we are seen as a group of artists. I am speaking about what I perceive as how we are defined by others who care about this type of stuff and the history of it.

Like it or not we, the people who participate on the forums and in events, are a big part of the history of Chainsaw Wood Sculpture.

Respond to this message   
joe r
(no login)

Re: Gotta love that Joe Rego guy!!!!

January 19 2012, 12:55 PM 

Im not quite sure but i think I just got a compliment from RD,hehehehehehe.Thanks RD ,I am pretty loveable.

Respond to this message   
Doc Parker
(no login)

Yes you are Joe!

January 19 2012, 6:03 PM 

RD is despicable. The point being, on this show they introduce people as the best we have to offer. As A judge, I say I've seen better. I used to be a primadonna bird carver where any flaw and everyone would jump on yer shit. I never made perfect,(not for lack of trying). I realized that wasn't"Art". Art is from the heart, copying is from the market's demand from others that don't really know or care what "ART" is. I didn't say I didn't like what I saw, but knowing their goals, ( and if "I" was a judge), they'd be down graded just like anyone else. Some of you complained about bolts. Well I complain because of accuracy. I'm also surprised to see RD here, musta run outa people to threaten with lawsuits somewhere else.( Milt's not so lively forum last I saw).Do you think Samo is a bad guy?? I felt after seeing that show that's how he was protrayed quacking at the saw bitch. Do you really think that's him??? I think he was scripted. Do you think Pete Rieger was portrayed as he really is??? I don't either. I believe them to be true artisans, and they were caught up in the moment.However, I do think Tynan is not so nice.(My personal opinion, you can have one too, this is America). You see bolts, I see friends carving, sometimes not as great as they should.Again: I hope that show doesn't show us as people we aren't!Just pointing out some random thoughts, not necessarily the views of this station.Hahaha

Respond to this message   
JohnK
(no login)

huh ?

January 19 2012, 6:31 PM 

Pablo Picasso painted some portraits of people with both eyes placed on the same side of his subject's face. He was a successful artist who was (and still is) appreciated by millions of people. Who am I to criticise where Picasso saw fit to paint his eyes or how someone chooses to carve their feathers?

Respond to this message   

buzzsaw
(Login buzzsawz)

Re: huh ?

January 19 2012, 8:08 PM 

well im glad john you are for artistic freedom i think picasso would agree , i dont want anybody to tell me i cannot make something . i think doc is just showing there is flaws in all work my goal is to destroy nice stove wood dont let art be your task master

Respond to this message   

< Previous Page 1 2 3 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Thank you for joining Pinske's World Wide Chainsaw Carving Forum