World Wide Chain Saw Carving Forum
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Trade show

March 30 2012 at 3:27 AM

Barre Pinske  (Premier Login 1pinske)
Owner

I do not normally do trade shows but I am this weekend. We have around 40 mushrooms , a few of my bears and some nice Ketonan bears to bring to a home and garden show up the road a landscaping buddy asked me to support. I'm going to carve with the 5hp hydraulic unit. Nothing fancy took me the time to unload my car to set up. I know Joe Semlar from Minnesota does this type of thing with his hydraulic unit.

I provably would not do it if I was not trying to grow the mushroom biz for the girls and if my friend did not ask. It will be nice to get some exposure down by Keene Nh. It is not a big investment most trade shows cost $2000 or so this is a few hundred bucks. I normally I get paid to carve but did not want to bother much it is about getting a true idea of the schroom market not about me putting on a show. I just got a much reduced space rate in trade for the demo.

I would like to sell 20 or more mushrooms seems like it should be easy but would not be surprised to only do 10 or 12.

They claim there will be 2500 people coming through not a huge show but a good amount of folks.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Ken sheen
(no login)

trade shows

March 30 2012, 6:00 AM 

I have done quite a few. some good some bad. the high end ones end up costing too much. Last spring I did the Edmonton log house and timber frame show. i had over a hundred carvings. sold around six thousand dollars worth but the show ended up costing me 4 thousand. no good. this year I,m doing a gun show in Kamloops and one other where I,m getting paid a grand to carve a state boarding bear. Rick Nasby said lots of lower end items will sell better than high end.

Respond to this message   
garykeenan
(Login iowasculptor)

trade shows

March 30 2012, 6:47 AM 

Ken, what's a "state boarding bear"? just curious....
And, my limited experience with trade shows (and similar things) is
what Rick said, have lots of lower priced items. People are much
more likely to do a spontaneous buy if it isn't alot of money.

Respond to this message   
ken sheen
(no login)

none

March 30 2012, 5:38 PM 

sorry skate bording bear

Respond to this message   

Barre Pinske
(Premier Login 1pinske)
Owner

Slow traffic but ok sales

March 30 2012, 7:51 PM 

6 schrooms and one smaller bear not bad for a small show on a work day. I just want to see if we can move a lot of mushrooms really. I really want to build a simple biz for the girls and to take up slack around here. If it was something that ran well pretty much with othersvdoing the work that would be super nice.

Respond to this message   

Barre
(Premier Login 1pinske)
Owner

Surprised

March 31 2012, 7:25 PM 

The little trade show is really going well. It would be nice to have more small inventory and more help these home and garden shows could be a business in them selves especially during mud Season or other slow times. The 5 hp unit works perfect easy to move not much noise and plenty of power.

I would really encourage other carvers to do these types of shows. I think if we get a good booth and so e nice signage we could really grow. Most of the folks at this show were just PR lying their business with nothing there to sell. I have yet to pop a big bear there but it was not the purpose although it would be nice.

Respond to this message   

Penny
(Login Penny220)

Re: Trade show

April 1 2012, 11:55 AM 

I can see a lawn and garden show along with a log cabin show go over very well.

Anytime you can get in a show where people are there to spend money is a good thing. I haven't had much luck with the sportsman's shows though. If it's a local show, they go there for the shoots and if it's a buying show, they go with whatever money they have on hand to buy a large ticket item if they have money left over from that it's going towards a scope or ammo. Cute little bears are never going to compete with Scent Lok at 50% off.

Penny

http://www.custompaintandairbrushing.com

Respond to this message   
BarbaraJaneRadcliff
(Login BarbaraJaneRadcliff)

Trade Show

June 21 2012, 5:52 AM 

I suppose I am too late for this discussion. Anyway, how did it all go?

adfab exhibit group

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Thank you for joining Pinske's World Wide Chainsaw Carving Forum