World Wide Chain Saw Carving & Art Forum
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

creative boost needed

April 4 2012 at 8:32 AM

Barre Pinske  (Premier Login 1pinske)
Owner

I'm working to hard at paying the bills not enough on art. I'm wondering if I need to make a big blast to get more bread and butter than free myself up for creativity.

Joe and I were talking about doing something this spring like a workshop.

Any ideas?

This is a great location for a stable business now to grow with higher end better art that is the next trick.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Jim Jacobs
(Login CarverJake)

Re: creative boost needed

April 4 2012, 8:36 AM 

Sounds good. You better stock up on the blue paint.

Respond to this message   
R.D. Coonrod
(no login)

April 4 2012, 10:23 AM 

Asking God for guidance has always worked for me. Asking friends, although helpful, tends to get confusing.

Respond to this message   
joe r
(no login)

April 4 2012, 11:33 AM 

I usually build my foundation on the sand,doesnt work does it RD.13 years of making stuff and i cant figure it out.Ive tried for 13 years to figure it out,always trying to figure what direction to go in.It can drive you nuts.I guess just get up and make stuff.I do know as i get older I am planing on less physical art.Alot of times I get burnt out,as i am now but then I look around and realize how fortunate i have been.Its not easy making a living making art but I would surely be miserable working for someone else.I can do fairly well making chainsaw products but i would be starving making art.About 80 pecent of what i make is to pay the bills and 20 percent is the art that needs to come out.85 percent of it is blue.Pics to come.

Respond to this message   
Eric
(no login)

boost

April 4 2012, 1:47 PM 

You guys should get the book "the E myth revisited" it will change the way you think about your business. My wife and I rented it from the library and it really opened our eyes to a new way of thinking about our business and how to make it grow and succeed. We have read several other books which were helpful too, but this book changed things around for us and after reading it (if all goes according to plan) we are getting set to launch a new phase in our carving business and likely double our income within one year.

Respond to this message   
joe r
(no login)

Re: boost

April 4 2012, 2:14 PM 

Of course I try to make more money but I wonder if that will satisfy me.I can make of few of the same things over and over and still not be able to make enough,been there done that and that didnt satisfy me.I guess the ultimate goal would be to be finacially comfortable,make what you want and not have to bust your butt,maybe have the customer come to me all the time.Im half way there but to be honest with you I still dont think that would satisfy me,right RD.The book sounds interesting,thanks for the tip

Respond to this message   

Barre Pinske
(Premier Login 1pinske)
Owner

Time and money

April 4 2012, 2:25 PM 

I have the $5000 plywood chair sitting here I have yet marketed it an ounce. We are going to do a mailing with it and a few more things. Time and money.... Those types of pieces need the right buyer I cannot spend a week or two trying to sell it all my profits will go. We have a good thing going here just I need to wrap it into a complete hit not just a catchy chorus. People who come by have plenty of dough I think art collectors a a different breed than Skiers. We need to make art that collectors want that will create more value. I do want the money no doubt. I have a lot I want to do it all costs. It costs us around $2000 to make a damn plywood chair.

Respond to this message   
Eric
(no login)

money

April 4 2012, 2:38 PM 

Of course more money will satisfy you, you're an american! (kidding a little)
If you were making stuff over and over and it was selling and you could never make enough of it then what you need to do is find a way of getting that stuff made without you being the one that makes it. who cares if it isnt exciting to you...you're not the one making it.....put systems and techniques in place for making all that stuff so that someone else makes it and frees you up to do the fun stuff....kinda like Barre is trying to do with the mushroom thing....Ideally someone else will be making them and he will make money off of them. its the only way to make the business succeed into the future. I plan on making money off of my carvings long after I can even do them anymore because I am putting systems in place so that they can be made without me doing the actual physical work. Of course I will continue to do one of a kind things as long as possible. I see alot of people ( me being one) that sit around day after day and year after year trying to come up with a new way of doing something or a new idea....All of the successful business models are out there already to follow and the info is written in many books...why try to re-invent the wheel? use the wheel that was already invented and ride that sucker into the sunset. ( Damn that last line was pretty good, I'll have to put that into my book) happy.gif
Aint trying to preach to you...just giving an opinion

Respond to this message   
joe r
(no login)

shark tank

April 4 2012, 3:21 PM 

Speak away eric,I like listen to all opinions.I dont thin k its as easy as you say though,you may not have to do the physical work but you will be doing ALOT of office work and probably babysitting.I thought i was going to win that half billion lottery,damn only got one number.The sunset line was a goody

Respond to this message   
ladd
(no login)

April 4 2012, 2:32 PM 

easter carvings do they sell??

Respond to this message   

Barre Pinske
(Premier Login 1pinske)
Owner

EGGS?

April 4 2012, 2:35 PM 

I was going to make some big eggs kind of as a joke. I'm really busy right now. I love the long eared folk art bunnies have you seen them? Very cool.

Respond to this message   
ladd
(no login)

Re: EGGS?

April 4 2012, 3:07 PM 

ive done a couple squirils they sell but am going to try a bunny thing

Respond to this message   
mike wolf
(Login pinewolf)

April 4 2012, 3:53 PM 

barre, i dont consider your mushrooms and bears art, no offense. but your chairs are great. start makeing coffee tables end stands and a love seat to go with your chairs and market them to interior decorators that have highend cliental

Respond to this message   
joe r
(no login)

April 4 2012, 4:16 PM 

I agree with mike.I think your calling is funky furnishings,or TV.

Respond to this message   

Barre Pinske
(Premier Login 1pinske)
Owner

On it

April 4 2012, 6:16 PM 

We are moving everything forward as quickly as we can. I'm making the place more inviting so should have more foot traffic. Th furniture store thing is a great opportunity. Bears sell so easy compared to everything else. I've done this for years that's what I'm saying how do you pop the bigger ticket items with out wasting all your time?

Eric where are you from? you have a web site?

I think the bears and schrooms are folk art. They are what they are carved by an artist. Am I breaking any ground with them? nope not really. I do think chainsaw carved bears have become the most popular folk are in America.

Respond to this message   
Eric
(no login)

website

April 4 2012, 6:24 PM 

Barre,
Yes I have a website its www.thedreamerswoods.com
You have seen my stuff before. Im supertall, the guy that carves cedar in Washington and then goes to Alaska to my store up there for the summer.
Remember, Im the guy that challenged you to carve a flying eagle to compare with mine and of course mine blew yours away..lol..just messin with ya.

Respond to this message   
R.D. Coonrod
(no login)

Re: website

April 4 2012, 7:20 PM 

More or less confused? Maybe try looking at a bigger picture than what you are dealing with on a daily basis. Problems are seldom what they seem, we tend to look at the symptoms of a problem rather than the problem itself. Symptoms are generally much more comfortable to deal with.

Its much easier to put lotion on a poison ivy rash than it is to make sure that you never come in contact with it. In most cases we are not even aware that we have come in contact until we see the symptoms. Sometimes we choose to ignore the symptoms all together. In which case it is allowed to fester and give birth to new problems with a whole new set of symptoms. Before long we are living in a life full of so many symptoms of unresolved problems that it is not quite clear to us what the real problems are. That is how denial works. The longer it lasts the stronger it gets. Thank God we have options.

Respond to this message   
R.D. Coonrod
(no login)

Re: website

April 4 2012, 7:26 PM 

Oh, If you are looking for carving ideas, I would agree with Joe. For me, there is a lot more money in interior works. I still get paid well for on site work too but have more opportunity with inside work. The best money is in entertainment, hands down!

Respond to this message   

Barre Pinske
(Premier Login 1pinske)
Owner

Sorry Eric

April 4 2012, 8:22 PM 

As soon as I made the post and went into the shop I realized it was you. Thanks for posting.
I look forward to seeing your work again.

Respond to this message   
R.D. Coonrod
(no login)

Re: Sorry Eric

April 5 2012, 9:34 AM 

Inner peace and satisfaction are also gifts. But I believe that we will not be able to find peace or satisfaction in our work until we are able to find it in every aspect of our lives. I find it hard to believe that changing what you carve, or how many, or how much will have any lasting effect.

Looking for love in all the wrong places tends to leave one with a brown nose living in the land of grey...lol

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Thank you for joining Pinske's World Wide Chainsaw Carving Forum