World Wide Chain Saw Carving Forum
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Art
(Login Marine57)

Blog vs forum

January 15 2013, 6:41 AM 

First, let's look at some similarities.

With both blogs and discussion forums (or newsgroups, chat groups, discussion threads... there are many different names for essentially the same thing), you can post a comment, and comment on other comments and so develop discussions. In both cases, you can leave comments which may or may not be moderated; and usually (but not always) you have to identify yourself with a name and email address.

Broadly, that's where the similarities end.

In comparison to blogs, discussion forums are highly structured. You log in - not a requirement on the majority of blogs - and typically see an index of topics or categories (which can contain other topics), within which are comments, usually organized in date order. Think of it as a little like the hard drive on your computer and the folder/directory structure. Usually, to start posting your own comments, you need to register on a forum with a user ID and possibly an avatar (a little graphic). Many discussion forums enable you to sign up for email notification whenever new comments or replies are posted to a discusson you're interested in. You can also communicate directly with other forum members online through private messaging. And forums will typically show who's online at a given time, plus provide statistical info, eg, how many comments posted over what period of time.

Blogs, on the other hand, are collections of posts (articles). While these are usually structured (organized by category), that isn't an essential requirement as it is with discussion forums. Commenting is not the primary reason for a blog's existence: the posting (content, in other words) is the rationale for a blog, not the commenting. A significant differentiator is the ability blogs have to connect a post with content on other blogs through the trackback capability (definition) of many blogs, and to notify blog services through pinging (definiton) whenever a particular blog has new or updated content.

Probably the most significant differentiator is RSS (definition) - the ability to syndicate your blog content to anyone who wants to receive it. (I'm sure discussion forums can also do this, but I don't see RSS offered on any of the dozen or so different forums I belong to. One likely reason: each of the forums is private, so broadcasting RSS info would compromise that privacy.)

Respond to this message   
Brian Harnett
(Login Brianharnett)

Re: Blog vs forum

January 15 2013, 7:05 AM 

Art I agree, but the blue forum runs a vetting process. And you have to log in to post.

Barry in your last post how many times did you use "I"

A forum is a gathering of ideas some give some take, but keeping score is a bit childish.

http://s98.photobucket.com/albums/l249/brianharnett/Wood%20Carvings/
http://harnettdesigns.com/

Respond to this message   

Barre Pinske
(Premier Login 1pinske)
Owner

January 15 2013, 7:32 AM 

What am "I" suppose to do? You come to my house and challenge me did "you" need to do that? What's your payoff? Are "you" trying to make "yourself" look better? I could let it sit, delete it or defend myself I'd prefer to do neither. If you don't post make the post I don't don't need to react.

Do you care about the UCCG?

Do you care it is no longer active and the forum is taken over and not run by committee?

What would you like to see as a format for a chainsaw carving forum?

How would you run one if it was yours and what would you do if someone asks about gluing pieces of wood together and it ends up with Gay dinosaurs and bible quotes? lol

I have a life lol I don't need this shit. Please answer and help be a part of the solution not the problem.

Please realize I like having fun too but the clowns can't run the classroom we need time to learn and grow it's simple.

Respond to this message   

Barre Pinske
(Premier Login 1pinske)
Owner

January 15 2013, 7:34 AM 

Thanks Art

Respond to this message   

ccampbell
(Login ccampbell)

January 15 2013, 7:45 AM 

Brian, you said it very well.

Milt is a tremendous proponent of the art form and supported an open forum. It didn't take long for those kicked off the yellow forum to find it and usurp it. The forum was abandoned by those who wanted to discuss carving and were not interested in politics, religion, or personal rants.

"You're just like Jerry" is a foolish and childish taunt, RD. The yellow forum is a valued arena of information because it keeps on topic. Jerry isn't censoring who he doesn't "like", although he could. Comments below the belt, obscenities, irrelevant rants, etc. are controlled. That is fine with me. I am not getting information slanted to Jerry's view, I'm priveledged to share and receive constructive support and creative ideas from professional and beginner carvers who should not have to worry about being attacked.

Barre, you were expelled for posting a picture of crap and relating it to someone's work. It was egregious because the person you were directing relentless and especially harsh comments to was a beginner. You know that. That was way below the belt and you stepped over the line in many peoples eyes. I despise the reason "I was just being honest" as an excuse for being intentionally cruel. I'm sure 'cruel' is in the eye of the beholder, but in this case enough was certainly enough.

I don't have anything against Buzz's work, but his tirades are predictable, tiresome and relentless. Like leeches attaching to suck the life out of every thread.

So there you go, my 2 cents worth.

Respond to this message   

Barre Pinske
(Premier Login 1pinske)
Owner

The Crap award was suppose to be funny

January 15 2013, 7:59 AM 

Hey no one got the joke apologize move on my apology was not accepted. There was a point there That guy who's work has improved a lot thought what he was doing was great. It was great to him like your first big poop. I liked the analogy even though it was a bit crass. I think that's the way life is if you want to run with the big dogs don't brag about your first play in the game.

There is a lesson there.

Respond to this message   
R.D. Coonrod
(no login)

Re: The Crap award was suppose to be funny

January 15 2013, 9:11 PM 

Well CC, if I could get past the FACT that jerry stole the forum and destroyed any chance of the guild working as he drank the membership dues...I might be able to look at that place a little differently. The end will never justify the means. I have no idea how jerry "acts" today, I do not go there, however in the past he has done exactly as I stated. I know who and what he is and represents. I have been exposed to it on multiple occasions. I am glad that someone cares for him. My other statement was a matter of fact as well. I would have ignored your post had you simply disagreed, it was the childish taunting thing that made me respond. Matters not, barre will probably delete it anyway.

good luck with your new thing barre.....

Respond to this message   

Barre Pinske
(Premier Login 1pinske)
Owner

January 16 2013, 5:43 AM 

Thanks RD. I hope it's clear instill want folks to post I'm just giving myself more control of the content. Thinking of it as coming to my house should help. I need to benefit from my time and effort I hope it can help our event up here and my galleries. I hope to get more art talk in general by posting else were in the east making people aware of the art blog.

Respond to this message   
Rick
(no login)

January 16 2013, 6:36 AM 

Its interesting to see how so few stand accountable. I agree with CC almost 100%, Brian and anyone else looking to hold folks accountable, even if only to problem solve or anylize. No Bar, company, or organization can survive without good leadership. The organizations will mirror the leadership. When the man in charge is "Looking over a big mouths transgressions, to be sure and keep his big mouth off of himself", leaves a leader with out respect. (The most unacceptable being Tynans profane attack on Buzz's wife)and it goes unrestrained or corrected. We see ARdee attacking folks in this thread, and Barre thanking him. This is where the riens get lost, and abnormality insues and remains. Theres little unhealthy groups all across this world, and to pop in on any of them and get involved is a bad choice in itself.haha I just wanted to support those that would try and shed light on this dishevelness. And what else is there to do with morning coffee. lol

Respond to this message   

Barre Pinske
(Premier Login 1pinske)
Owner

Hey Rick

January 16 2013, 7:45 AM 

I'm trying to move beyond this as you can see but I want you to know I'm very busy and did not read most of the crap posted. I nerver saw the remark you are talking about I treid to let as much go as possible to make it an open forum hoping it would leavel out with being a dictator. You make a good point about leadership I could have choose someone to be incharge also but then I'd have to give the code. Oh well it's done now time to move on. People are people I have a good life and a good business to run. If you can benifit and contribute positivily please do. Please leave the blame and name calling out of it it's done it was and is my responciblity.

Respond to this message   
Rick
(no login)

Re: Hey Rick

January 16 2013, 7:58 AM 

Very good, will do.

Respond to this message   

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Thank you for joining Pinske's World Wide Chainsaw Carving Forum