World Wide Chain Saw Carving Forum
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Branch and resin casting process

January 18 2013 at 10:00 PM

Barre  (Premier Login 1pinske)
Owner

There have been a number of questions about casting. I have spent a lot of time and effort perfecting a process that's a little like why grandma's cookies taste so good. The basic process is as simple as baking a cookie the little things make a big difference.

A lot of you can figure stuff out with a bit of a start so here you go. The best material for casting is two part Urethane the West system is one brand you get on line it's good stuff. You can color it with special pigments and that's about it. Buy some mix it up and pour it in let it harden and sand it back. They have fillers and things that can help with shrinkage fillers can help depending on what you are making. Urethane is very strong and easy to mix it's a good way to start out casting. There are other products the we mainly use but that is the strongest, least toxic and easiest to work with that is why I think it's the best for people new to casting. The pour top you can get at Home Depot is a Urethane casting resin for example. That's a little different because it's so thick but it's the same base product.

I have not heard back from my video guy I'll call him at $1000 for the video and two to three days, plus DVDs and what ever I'd need to sell 80 to 100 to break even at $25 a piece. I'm not sure it will be worth it but I'm thinking about it. Once I have them then it's another thing to try to market, collect money for and send out it all takes time I'm very busy already.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Dave
(no login)

I would buy one

January 19 2013, 4:38 AM 

I would buy a video even though we have talked about your tig art and I think I know how to do it, I do apprieciate how you share.
I almost tried making one of your tig table as a comission but I found a way around it with a different design, the temperature in my shed does not often go above 60 degrees this time of year so I will not be doing a tig thing soon but what I will be doing is collecting tig materials, I think winter is the best time to cut wood.
I think you could make an interesting and entertaining video.

Good luck

Dave

This message has been edited by 1pinske on Jan 19, 2013 5:35 AM

Respond to this message   

Barre
(Premier Login 1pinske)
Owner

Thanks Dave

January 19 2013, 5:34 AM 

I would appreciate it if you kept the things we shared between you and I. I'm guessing you will get some emails for folks asking for help. I want to share and help others I'll call Alex today about working on a DVD. The problem with the process is it's so labor intensive it's hard to find folks that will pay for the finished product. At $500 a bowl we don't make any money. I have been thinking about whole sale markets but as you know they want a 100% markup so do the math on that.

$2500 for a trade show and really needed to sell them for what we sell them for here. It's the same old story what will you want to do with your time? If the want to build a buiness you need workers in this case skilled worker doing crap smelly and dusty work. I like it as art and not sure if I want to grow it and or how.

Respond to this message   

Barre
(Premier Login 1pinske)
Owner

Re: I would buy one

January 19 2013, 5:37 AM 

Sorry about the edit Dave that's one of Grandma's cookie secretes I shared with you. Thanks for understanding.

Respond to this message   
Dave
(no login)

Thank you for sharing

January 19 2013, 6:13 AM 

Thank you for sharing Barre,

I guess if people want to find out the secret they will have to buy the video or go to the Big Buzz.

Keep doing cool stuff

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Thank you for joining Pinske's World Wide Chainsaw Carving Forum