World Wide Chain Saw Carving Forum
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Nice people this weekend

January 28 2013 at 4:09 PM

Barre Pinske  (Premier Login 1pinske)
Owner

I have not had that much traffic with the lack of snow, the cold, no display window and little inventory out doors. These nice folks came in got a heart. The girl told a friend at work in NYC and her friend bought two today. The mass mailing we did has had some results too. It's a lot of work to make and market your art that's for sure it's nice when your customers help.
[linked image]

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
JeffG
(Login JeffGNJ)

Nice Barre!

January 28 2013, 6:42 PM 

Great paint ,Like the intensity of the red. Cheers

Respond to this message   

Barre Pinske
(Premier Login 1pinske)
Owner

Re: Nice Barre!

January 28 2013, 7:35 PM 

Thanks Jeff, We painted them with pigmented resin it dries fast and looks nice. We make our own colors. They are not good for outside because it does not have uv protection. We cover things with auto clear if we use it for out doors.

Respond to this message   

Butch Elrod
(Login WoodHacker)

January 29 2013, 8:01 AM 

How is that auto clear to work with? Is it a 2 part product?

Butch Elrod - WoodHacker.com

World Map of Chainsaw Carving Artists

Respond to this message   

Barre Pinske
(Premier Login 1pinske)
Owner

January 29 2013, 8:33 AM 

Butch, It works really good but it's expensive. The good thing is you don't need much it lasts for ever because it's so thin. I switched to mostly industrial stuff because it's more durable and a chemical reaction more than a solvent evaporating out. No more sticky poloyurathane that takes for ever to dry this stuff cures in 1/2 hour done. They have water based stuff now too if you want to be more environmentally friendly. I buy my Auto Clear from a cool store we have here that sells tools and different things like a job lot type of place for woodworkers it's cheaper than what you would get at an auto parts store. We use a 4-to 1 mix it seems we always run out of the hardener first. It only works properly if applied thin the opposite of Resin which needs heat to cure you you have to put on thick when used as a paint. I often air brush the auto clear with $5 air brushes from the same place that I toss after use. A very fine bristle brush works for auto clear I use the $6 pack from Wal-mart they come with two 3/4 in red bristle brushes that are very fine works better than anything I've found.

$60 gallon of base
$37 for the hardener
The product I have comes from Europe believe it or not.

Respond to this message   

Butch Elrod
(Login WoodHacker)

February 2 2013, 7:31 AM 

I shopped around online a little bit and most of what I found costs twice what you're paying. That half hour dry time sure is tempting!

I usually spray linseed oil on my carvings first and then spar. I have the problem here of the weather being very hot with nearly no humidity and the oil seems to help with that. The oil also gives the wood a warm color..

So, have you ever sprayed this auto clear over linseed oil?

Butch Elrod - WoodHacker.com

World Map of Chainsaw Carving Artists

Respond to this message   

Barre Pinske
(Premier Login 1pinske)
Owner

February 2 2013, 10:47 AM 

I use linseed on my carvings too. I've made some color with the auto clear and bumped it over a linseed oil finished piece. It's two different things.

We use water based paint on the oil based on others, resin and auto clear it depends what we are doing and where it's final destination is.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Thank you for joining Pinske's World Wide Chainsaw Carving Forum