World Wide Chain Saw Carving Forum
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Untitled

October 22 2014 at 2:17 PM
shoeless  (no login)

Anyone recommend a good electric heater for the shop. Radiant,ceramic,any types? The more heat the better,not interested in propane or kerosene. Thank you

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
JeffG
(Login JeffGNJ)

Joe

October 22 2014, 2:59 PM 

Why don't you put in a wood stove and burn your scraps.

Respond to this message   
rego
(no login)

Re: Joe

October 22 2014, 3:12 PM 

Ive thought of that Jeff.I just want something I can turn on and off as I am in and out of there all day.Im thinking some radiant heater opposite the exhaust fans,hoping it will draw the heat over me

Respond to this message   

Barre
(Premier Login 1pinske)
Owner

October 22 2014, 3:19 PM 

I have been looking at the Mitsubishi electric heat pumps they are suppose to be efficient. It's electric.
Keep your saw in the Wood!

Pinske

Respond to this message   

Ace
(Login Marine57)

October 22 2014, 3:34 PM 

Why not propane? Just curious.

Respond to this message   
pedro
(no login)

October 22 2014, 3:50 PM 

Wow barre,those are pricey.
Art,I just want something I can switch off and on quick and I want to keep the air as clean as possible.With my fan system everything from the heat source will pass by me and out the exhaust fans.

Respond to this message   

Barre
(Premier Login 1pinske)
Owner

October 22 2014, 4:21 PM 

The fans will suck blowing the heat right out the window. This where Hydraulics really help in the Winter. You don't have to worry about exahust, loosing heat plus the tanks radiate off some heat too. I was lov'n mine today wiTh the rain coming down I did not miss a beat working.

I would not use a heat pump with the fan system. I use a big 220v light now and then one that was on a tennis court it creates a ton of light and makes some heat right under it. It gives a little feeling of Sun light in the winter. You could do that with the 110 v work lights too make a little bank of them right above were you carve. I'm not sure what you have for amps going out there right now the fans provably draw a bit. If you are going to load things up start the fans so the draw passes then turn on the lights. You could turn on the lights and warm up the room pretty quick. Turn them off to start the fans then put them back on. You will be throwing money out the window with any type of heat intended to heat the air. If I did not burn wood I would go broke this place could cost as much as $900 to heat the whole place in the middle of winter.

There are some systems designed to heat right where you are the have them above cashiers in Home Depot. All that stuff is gas though. I think the contractor lights could work like that for you it's a radiant and direct heat not heated air.

Hydraulics! Quit screwing around. You can carve in comfort and the tools last for ever. The new 5hp has more chain speed than the one I run it's super nice. I'm hoping to make a sawdust compactor to run off of mine too. Press a button and go! No adding fuel, little noise, no exhaust, add oil once a week it's the best thing going for studio carving.

Good luck with the heat Joe. Try one light see what you think.

Pinske

Respond to this message   
pedro
(no login)

October 22 2014, 4:50 PM 

Thanks for all the input Barre.
I realize the heat will just be sucked out but I don't care as long as its passing over me. Im guessing it should if Im in the middle between the heat source and the exhaust fans. Sorry,I will take my gas saws and fan system over the hydraulics.I like the maneuverability of the gas saws and chain speed.We could go back and forth on this all day. That light sounds interesting.Little is talked about lighting and its such an important part to sculpture.I find if lighting is flooding in from everywhere it is hard to sculpt due to lack of shadow,kinda like a flash taking a picture shows no shadow.I wonder what the best lighting is for sculpture. I cant run much more on the circuit Im using so I was going to run the heater from another circuit.

Respond to this message   
shoeless
(no login)

October 22 2014, 4:59 PM 

man 900 bucks a month? My largest heating bill for a month for my house was 125 bucks last year but my house is only 1100 square foot.

Respond to this message   

Ace
(Login Marine57)

October 22 2014, 4:52 PM 

You couldn't have heat and the fan vents at the same time could you? I use a Mr heater omn top of a propane tank to get it warm quick then use a electric cheap heater w/blower to maintain it.

Respond to this message   
pedro
(no login)

October 22 2014, 5:03 PM 

Im not looking to heat the garage,just some heat being sucked over me.

Respond to this message   

buzzsaw
(Login buzzsawz)

bears

October 22 2014, 5:41 PM 

right in the colder climates you need a hydraulic set up cost prohibitive i do agree i have 20 degree days which i can still carve in ok but temps hitting below zero my guess being inside is the ticket . maybe him designing a better hose flex set up and get carvers some second hand financing .

Respond to this message   
dave c
(no login)

Re: Untitled

October 23 2014, 3:00 AM 

Heat lamp over top or just in back of your sholders sounds best, warm your back at least while you carve.

Respond to this message   
Rick N
(no login)

October 23 2014, 5:39 AM 

I think this is the ticket Joe

Respond to this message   
Rick N
(no login)

October 23 2014, 5:40 AM 

Respond to this message   
Rick N
(no login)

October 23 2014, 5:40 AM 

Respond to this message   
Rick N
(no login)

October 23 2014, 5:41 AM 

Click: watch videos under the jacket

Respond to this message   
pedro
(no login)

October 23 2014, 6:26 AM 

well how about that,great idea. Thanks Rick
I may shop for a heater today,if I can figure out some heat I will have it all.Im pretty sure a heater near me will make me comfortable carving through the winter.I will let you all know when I buy one. Certainly have to blow it out often.

Respond to this message   
Rick N
(no login)

October 23 2014, 7:01 AM 

an other idea is To keep amicrowave in your shop and rotate hot potatoes in your pants. Lol

Respond to this message   

Barre
(Premier Login 1pinske)
Owner

October 23 2014, 8:32 AM 

I can only share what works for me as much as I want to help I'm out of this one.

Pinske

Respond to this message   

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Thank you for joining Pinske's World Wide Chainsaw Carving Forum