World Wide Chain Saw Carving Forum
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Pre mixed saw gas who's using it?

October 23 2014 at 4:32 PM

Barre  (Premier Login 1pinske)
Owner

I'm thinking of getting a new big saw soon. Although I have had real good luck with my 570 I'm very concerned about frying a new saw. I don't want to make the Investment and melt the damn thing down. I run my saws rich to help the bad gas problem but they don't preform 100% if the mix is rich. I have not cost compared I don't run gas that much it might be worth it. Any ideas?
Keep your saw in the Wood!

Pinske

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

buzzsaw
(Login buzzsawz)

this guy has a good saw

October 23 2014, 6:32 PM 

Respond to this message   

Ace
(Login Marine57)

Re: this guy has a good saw

October 23 2014, 7:02 PM 

I use Stihl mix (both regular & synthetic)in all my saws. I ALWAYS use Stabil Haven't fried one in a long long time. Gotta be scary investment though with the 660 at about twelve hundred bucks.

Respond to this message   

Barre
(Premier Login 1pinske)
Owner

October 24 2014, 2:49 AM 

I want to get a Husky 3120. I'm thinking the bottled gas for it. Back in the day growing up in Minnesota I was in favor of Alcohol in the gas now it's clear it's a bad idea. It may he impossible to get it out. They have off road diesel at pumps it would be nice to have 2 cycle gas available too. I have not priced the bottled gas. I use hydraulics for everything other than rough outs so I don't have to worry about burning up saws much just one big saw or the rare tree job. I don't do many tree jobs any more with the gallery most work I sell out of here.

Pinske

Respond to this message   

Barre
(Premier Login 1pinske)
Owner

October 24 2014, 2:57 AM 

$5.85 a quart. $23 a gallon. Pump gas plus $1.85 for the oil $6 a gallon. 4x the cost for the canned fuel is it worth it for l risk?

Pinske

Respond to this message   
Brian Harnett
(Login Brianharnett)

October 24 2014, 6:48 AM 

I run baileys synthetic 50-1 and add 2.5 0z of marvel mystery oil per gallon works for me I run my 660 to mill with it never had an issue.

Respond to this message   

chris
(Login MerkinMuffly)

math

October 24 2014, 7:00 AM 

If the saw is $1200 and you buy canned fuel at$23 gal you will burn 52 gallons to equal the price of a new saw vs pump gas and burning 200 gallons to hit that $1200 mark. So i guess it depends on how much fuel you burn a year to justify the expense. The local stihl dealer in my neighborhood was offering an extended 2 year warranty if you purchased a six pack of those little pre measured oils

Respond to this message   
Barre Pinske
(no login)

We should not be taxed for off road gas!

October 24 2014, 8:07 AM 

I just realized something. Off road diesel does not have a road tax. If we are buying pump gas we are paying the road tax. All off road gas users could argue we are not responsible for the road tax the same as the construction guys. Perhaps we could get the alcohol out of an off road gas pump too. With all the saws cooking, landscapers etc. If we got organized we may be able to move a bill forward to require an off road pump and possibly get the fuel to not contain alcohol. This would be a monumental effort but with saw companies who have to warrantee everything and other folks facing hardships we may be able to get something started.

Respond to this message   

Barre Pinske
(Premier Login 1pinske)
Owner

Re: We should not be taxed for off road gas!

October 24 2014, 8:13 AM 

I have had fair luck with pump gas mixed rich too. It sounds like few if any one is using the premixed gas. I know for a lot of us everything comes down to cost. 4 times the price to lesson a risk may or may not be worth it. I guess it all depends if the saws last or not.

Pinske

Respond to this message   
bradsr
(no login)

Re: Pre mixed saw gas who's using it?

October 24 2014, 8:28 AM 

here is a list of vt stations that have non-ethanol gas
http://pure-gas.org/?stateprov=VT
bradsr

Respond to this message   

Barre Pinske
(Premier Login 1pinske)
Owner

October 24 2014, 8:36 AM 

Hey Brad, There is a place in Keene that's not to far apparently you can buy 5 gallon pails from them. Just checked they have the premix not at the pump. Barre VT is the closest to me pretty far.

Pinske

This message has been edited by 1pinske on Oct 24, 2014 8:38 AM

Respond to this message   
pedro
(no login)

October 24 2014, 8:36 AM 

I think my friend told me you can get ethanol free gas at the airport here,maybe an airport near you?

Respond to this message   

Barre Pinske
(Premier Login 1pinske)
Owner

October 24 2014, 8:43 AM 

Joe, There was an airport listed for NH. There is one in Springfield thats close to me the premix is 91 or 93 octane I'm not sure what airplane fuel is. All good stuff to check out. It would be better if it was at the pump fairly close by with no road tax. I think State and Federal tax on fuel adds close to $.60 a gallon. Think of the money we as a group are spending and not an ounce of that is used to go down the road. All lawn care, weed wakers, boats 4 wheelers, snowmobiles etc. All paying road tax.

Pinske

Respond to this message   
pedro
(no login)

October 24 2014, 10:29 AM 

Ive often thought that chainsaw carvers united as a group should have buying power.If we all decided to support say stihl,than they should give us wholesale prices.We are not united and therefore have nothing to bargain with. So stihl,echo,husky,starting bidding,we will take the best offer.

Respond to this message   

steve backus
(Login flashbackus)

you can write that off

October 24 2014, 10:35 AM 

the non road used gas that is, records, receipts,that and all the other mind-numbing minutia, its real easy to burn a couple gallons a day with a 3120 husky {it will beat you up} I use off the shelf two cycle in a vast array of saws and supreme gas most of the time, not always, I then proceed to beat my saws unmercifully for years, then I cannibalize them even further! if you get a big husky try and get as many junk ones as possible, the little parts will be a pain in ass, so if you have mufflers, gas, caps, handles etc.etc. it will be a good thing, the demand for them big saws is dwindling, thus available parts.

$1600 plus tax,Get a farm boy to start it for you..........................
and remember carve or starve...

Respond to this message   

Barre
(Premier Login 1pinske)
Owner

Re: you can write that off

October 24 2014, 1:12 PM 

You think the 3120 is too big? The next size down is $1200 88cc's The 3120 is 110cc's

I want to rough out a bunch of big bears and some tall birds. I font want to p iss around but don't want to wreck my self either. A big saw that's sharp will pull it's weight and ride on the bar.

Pinske

Respond to this message   

steve backus
(Login flashbackus)

395 husky

October 24 2014, 1:54 PM 

Do ya just fine, but no sniveling about getting old and achy, blocking out bears is doing what you have to, in order to do what you want to.

Those of you with wives with jobs refrain from commenting please.................

Respond to this message   

Barre
(Premier Login 1pinske)
Owner

Re: 395 husky

October 24 2014, 2:06 PM 

I'm thinking the sane thing my 570 rips it pretty good I'm thinking the 395 will too. I really wsnt the big sow but if it's not worth it it's not worth it.

I need some 1k days here and if I can crank it with a big saw that could help. I think my 570 has helped me make close to 300k! 7 years and it's still kicking. What a ROI.

Pinske

Respond to this message   

Barre
(Premier Login 1pinske)
Owner

Re: 395 husky

October 24 2014, 2:13 PM 

I can't find a wife or a woman with a job in VT. I need to find a second home somr place where women with out facial hair and man hands live. Lots of upper lip fuzz and man hands on the females around here. Many look like Backus actually! The Germans said the Women in VT have bigger asses than a horse! In my opinion a woman's ass should not be bigger than a Mini Hroses ass.

It's Stick season. The worst time to be in a small town in VT. It goes from being like a nice warm bath to the scum in the bottom of the tub.

Pinske

Respond to this message   

steve backus
(Login flashbackus)

mabye

October 24 2014, 6:06 PM 

Them Germans should stick to horse's ass's, and should I be nervous when I visit the area if its inhabited by Backus babes?

Is that banjo music!!

Respond to this message   

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Thank you for joining Pinske's World Wide Chainsaw Carving Forum