World Wide Chain Saw Carving Forum
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Save the whales

October 30 2014 at 11:12 PM
Josh Blewett  (no login)

So how do we as sculptors that use wood for a medium and for a living , make a difference in the year by year losing of natures treasures . Old growth trees . I'd love to see ALL OLD GROWTH protected just as a endangered species . It's pretty scary in my twenty years in wood carving I've seen these trees which where already rare even scarcer. I think is sad and BS . Maybe I'm just suffering from a guilty conscience and a conflict of interest I will never be able to resolve . But it's a interesting thought !

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

buzzsaw
(Login buzzsawz)

refuse to carve them

October 31 2014, 3:30 AM 

i use throw away trees cut down around houses most of our old growth was stripped a 100 years ago there is a few pockets that were not accessible left . im going to join this group and make a diferencehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rR895thBBSU

Respond to this message   

steve backus
(Login flashbackus)

Hummnn

October 31 2014, 8:12 AM 

Them mushrooms grow everywhere in your area josh, better quit putting them in your soup.

Your perspective is narrow, stop carving old growth! and then quit eating meat, then start using hand tools so as to help reduce exhaust emissions, then start wearing 'bark panties' to help halt sweatshops in Asia, better give up sex while you are at it, just might slip up {pun intended} and create another consumer!

Old growth is a loose term my sensitive coastal comrade, if its banned as your heart indicates, would that include downed wood, windfalls or flood debris{ driftwood} Some folks see a tree that is big and with enough ignorance can be seeing what they Think is old growth.

There are trees on central Whidbey island that have been wind beaten for long time, seen fir trees that are a hundred years old and are at best two foot in diameter,, seen a redwood tree in lynnwood WA that was five feet in diameter and was twentyfive years old, the average bear would assume the redwood was older,It would suck that we get a bunch of rules thrust upon us because tweakers are stealing wood that is on reserves, just saying.

On a brighter note are you coming to burning bear? where we will be carving up some nice salvaged old growth, if you come we will make sure you have all the alder and spruce you can lift!

As for whales, if I may relate a whale of a tale,way back in the time machine uncle pat and I were carving at the puallup fair right here in western Washington, must of been :1984 or 85, the save the whales thing was really big and growing so in true entrepreneurial style we started making whale plaques with :SAVE THEM on the bottom, they sold pretty good, you would get done and hold it for folks to see and they would all clap! everyone felt all warm and fuzzy.

Then uncle pat carved one that said :NUKE THEM! when he held it up it is my belief that the crowd did not share his humor, no one clapped, I thought it was funny as hell but held my apllase as well........

Back in the mid 1980s some smuggler ditched a bunch of pot out of his boat, must have been a big load because they were in bales, cant remember if he got caught but a bunch of bales floated ashore all around northern Puget sound, a few made it to Whidbey Island , and some quick thinking Dude made up a bunch of Tee-Shirts that said: "SAVE THE BALES"........

Now aint I chatty today.............

and remember carve or starve...

Respond to this message   

Jim Jacobs
(Login CarverJake)

Re: Hummnn

October 31 2014, 11:28 AM 

Good story Steve, do you have any left??

Respond to this message   

Barre Pinske
(Premier Login 1pinske)
Owner

October 31 2014, 2:48 PM 

Backus found a bale

Indeed he did inhale

He stuffed He puffed

He puffed He stuffed

Six months It was gone.

Years have passed by

But there is not a day

For a bale he does pray

As he scans the beach

Repeating the question

Seaweed or See Weed!

Keep your saw in the Wood!

Pinske

Respond to this message   

Barre Pinske
(Premier Login 1pinske)
Owner

October 31 2014, 2:50 PM 

Not sure what to say josh its so hard to know what to preserve. It's seems the rare and wonderful should not be a question. Where is the line? I think any awareness you can bring to the table is great. I wish we as a group had more dough we could help some how.
Keep your saw in the Wood!

Pinske

Respond to this message   

steve backus
(Login flashbackus)

love the poem

November 1 2014, 6:43 AM 

Lets hear some more, or see some, as the case may be.

and remember carve or starve...

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Thank you for joining Pinske's World Wide Chainsaw Carving Forum