<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Back to Highlands Forum  

Engan campaigning already descending into chaos!!!!!!!

June 4 2012 at 7:28 PM
from Post Courier 

News
Monday 04th June, 2012

Wabag cops’ quick action saves candidate

QUICK action by police yesterday saved the life of a candidate who was kidnapped by armed supporters of another candidate in Wapenamanda, Enga Province.
Provincial Police Commander Chief Superintendent Martin Lakari condemned the incident, naming the victim as Jeffrey Dia Wialu, an independent candidate from the Kiakai-Kuta tribe in Wapenamanda district.
Mr Lakari said Wialu was going to see a friend near Wapenamanda airstrip at about 3pm when he was held up by a group of men armed with bush knives and axes. He was then driven to Wapenamanda MP Miki Kaeok and allegedly interrogated by the leader, the leader’s wife and other supporters.
Supt Lakari said Wialu was later taken to Timin Valley, about six kilometres Northeast of Wapenamanda, reportedly to be further integrated and punished when two special police units from Wabag stopped them and rescued the victim.
Supt Lakari said the reason for kidnapping the candidate, a private lawyer, was not known as the criminal investigation unit in Wabag was still investigating before making any arrests.
Supt Lakari said police would be working hard to arrest those involved in the kidnapping.
The dispirited candidate said it was by God’s grace that the policemen had intervened and saved his life. He said he did not know why the MP (Mr Kaeok) and his wife Lina Kaeok had asked his supporters to take him to another spot for further interrogation after he had already sustained bush-knife injuries to his head and arms.
“The MP and his wife looked furious when I was taken to his house...I knew that I would be a dead man in the next moment, but the good Lord saved my life,” he said.
“I will make sure Mr Kaeok and his wife are arrested to face the full force of the law for what they have done to me.”
Mr Kaeok could not be reached for comments last night.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Sikin

Change the Attitude.

June 5 2012, 10:49 AM 

It is always a sad indeed to see during the dawn of the election campaign to observe such an attitude of violation and abuse of Human Rights and freedom to exercise ones fundamental rights . We Engan need a leader who is God fearing and have respect for humanity.

If it is true to be involvement of Hon Kaeok and his wife, this reflects that he does not have a nature of good leadership quality. I hope it will be justified before the court if the victim takes the matter to the court.

Mr. Kaeok is the current MP and his attitudes portrait a wrong image. If Hon Kaeok has the reason for taking such an action, still it is not correct during this period as he is trying to defend his seat. Mr. Kaeok should take the matter to the court to settle the differences.

People have the democratic right to exercise freely to choose the leader. When MP is voted as MP, it is an honourable thing and it should be well respected.

May I pray and hope Engans will elect a good leaders for this coming election. God bless Engans.

Sikin

Respond to this message   

Re: Engan campaigning already descending into chaos!!!!!!!

July 14 2012, 9:12 PM 

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Back to Highlands Forum