Return to Forum  

New Wearer Photos & Story

June 26 2012 at 6:56 PM
No score for this post

(Premier Login -Eric)
Forum Owner

I wanted to pass this story on to show that even someone that has never seen a hairpiece before can end up with a good result with some patience (even considering how traumatic this experience had to have been). The wearer will have to come on and go into more detail, but this is the story in a nutshell:

This young, new wearer contacted me for a stock piece and sent me some photos of his situation. He ended up purchasing a lighter color to be colored down to his black hair color. He found a salon locally and was told that the owner knew how to cut in and color a piece, so he set up an appointment and went down to have this done.

When he walked in, he was greeted by an older gentleman that was very rude and impatient during the whole process. His existing hair on top was shaved, his piece was put into a mixing bowl and the color was added into the bowl and the piece and color were mixed together (including the base of the piece which also turned black along with all the knots).

The piece was trimmed very fast and was not trimmed to fit his balding area, it was far too big...so the sides ended up being adhered to his real side hair rather than his scalp. He then told the stylist that he could see that the lace and knots were black and it needed to be bleached, the stylist said he doesn't bleach knots. He was charged $100 and sent on his way.

To make a long story as short as possible, this young man went home and locked himself in his bathroom for over 2 hours. He removed the piece (which was stuck into his existing side and back hair) and taught himself how to bleach the knots/base and cut the base down, etc. with tips he had learned from reading the forums and just needing to figure something out since his existing hair on top was gone now and there was no going back. He did have very thin hair, but was using concealer to thicken it up, however this wasn't an option anymore since he was now completely bald on top.

He told me this story and it literally made me ill, because I could imagine how tough it would be to trust someone that claimed to have a lot of hairpiece knowledge and then end up with a result like that....then have to leave the salon without the option of going back to concealers because your existing hair on top was shaved off.

I'm not passing this story on to freak people out, this is obviously a very rare happening but goes to show that even someone without any prior knowledge can at least make a piece presentable with time and patience.

Please keep in mind that he had never seen or touched a hairpiece before and even though he couldn't get all the black off the base and knots...after all was said and done, he was able to come up with this result:

PhotobucketPhotobucket

This message has been edited by -Eric on Jun 26, 2012 10:36 PM

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Response TitleAuthorDate
 Re: New Wearer Photos & Story Jun 26, 2012, 6:58 PM
 Re: New Wearer Photos & StoryBlackieJun 26, 2012, 7:51 PM
  Re: New Wearer Photos & Story Jun 26, 2012, 10:42 PM
   Re: New Wearer Photos & StoryStevenJun 27, 2012, 12:20 AM
    Re: New Wearer Photos & StorytorsdagJun 27, 2012, 5:13 AM
     Re: New Wearer Photos & StorysiroadsterJun 27, 2012, 6:43 AM
      Re: New Wearer Photos & StorybobbyJun 27, 2012, 8:30 AM
       Re: New Wearer Photos & Story Jun 27, 2012, 11:55 AM
       Re: New Wearer Photos & StoryNeilJun 27, 2012, 11:57 AM
        Re: New Wearer Photos & Story Jun 27, 2012, 12:28 PM
         Re: New Wearer Photos & StoryshortlocksJun 27, 2012, 12:58 PM