Return to Forum  

Cutting A Stock Piece To Your Template Size

June 30 2012 at 1:19 PM
No score for this post

(Premier Login -Eric)
Forum Owner

I am asked how to go about cutting down a stock piece quite often, so I wanted to post some instructions for those that need help.

To cut down a stock piece, all you need to do is:

1) Turn your piece upside down and pin it to a styrofoam head so the base side is facing up.

2) Turn your template upside down and line the hairline up at the very front center of the template and the piece (it's important that you cut the sides and back and avoid cutting into the hairline). Pin the template in quite a few different locations at the very edges so it stays secure.

3) Take very small scissors and start cutting the piece starting at the back. It's important to barely open the scissors at all with each cut and cut a tiny amount at a time, if you open the scissors too wide you will cut the hair underneath....you ONLY want to cut the base...the hair that extends out from the base will of course come off, but you don't want to cut the hair that is laying underneath the base area you are cutting. I find it easier to gently pull on the skin or lace base that you are cutting as you go...it keeps it snug and away from the base and seems to be easier to keep away from the hair underneath.

4) Take the piece off the head and brush it, there will be some shedding on the sides and back where you cut, do not be alarmed...just brush it out and it will stop shedding. This only happens because there are some areas where you have cut the lace and that hair hasn't come off yet, this is common.

That's seriously all there is to it....if you have questions, feel free to post them or email me. It's always best to practice something like this on an old/spare piece first.

This message has been edited by -Eric on Apr 26, 2013 6:00 PM

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Response TitleAuthorDate
 Re: Cutting A Stock Piece To Your Template Size Jun 30, 2012, 1:27 PM
 Re: Cutting A Stock Piece To Your Template SizeBlackieJun 30, 2012, 6:52 PM
 Re: Cutting A Stock Piece To Your Template SizejazzJun 30, 2012, 6:57 PM
  Re: Cutting A Stock Piece To Your Template Size Jul 1, 2012, 12:00 PM
   Nice postMPCReRuNDec 24, 2012, 9:51 AM
    Re: Nice postsupermusicDec 25, 2012, 9:14 AM
     Re: Nice post Dec 25, 2012, 11:43 PM
      Thanks Eric!MPCReRuNJan 2, 2013, 10:23 PM
       Re: Thanks Eric! Jan 3, 2013, 5:36 PM
        Re: Thanks Eric!thatguy7Mar 18, 2013, 3:41 PM
         Re: Thanks Eric! Mar 18, 2013, 6:10 PM