<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum  

Thanks everyone

June 2 2012 at 3:26 AM
No score for this post
dave  (Login vinylhead)

Just wanted to say thanks for all the help I've recieved on the forum. However I did go against what some said, I was intially going to use a small partial going around my forelock people suggested to shave it off but I decided to go for an even small piece to fill in my recession on the right side.

I do still use concealer but not as much as I used to.

The change was pretty amazing. I dont know if its the shape of my head or the fact my sides and temple points are very thick but a tiny piece less than an inch my inch makes me look like a NW0.

The only downside is my high hairline which may have gone back a bit since my youth but I do have pics from before my hairloss and it looks like I had a high hairline even then....I guess its the shock of seeing my forhead after many years od combing it forward.

I havent ruled out the possibility of using a larger piece in the future but mor now I'm just using the very small one.

The odd thing is I went years with shitty hair and a tiny 1 inch piece and a bit of conceal;er changed everything......I feel a bit stupid spending all that time trying to make my hair look ok when the answer was a very simple one.

Having said that I havent ruled out the possibility of a HT in the future...But this does seem a much easier way of getting a certain look.....I guess we'll see...for now I like it.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Eric
(Premier Login -Eric)
Forum Owner

Re: Thanks everyone

No score for this post
June 3 2012, 10:24 AM 

Hi Dave,

It's so great to hear that a partial was your answer. You said in your post what a lot of us have thought or posted in the past about wishing we had done this sooner. I guess my whole thing was not wanting to commit to a piece unless it was a last resort, so I stretched concealers out far too long. I now look at old photos of myself and cringe, that stuff does not photograph well when you use too much of it. The flash just seems to grab it. However, I'm so thankful because it allowed me to keep a youthful appearance for years while my hair thinned dramatically...and it allowed me to switch to a piece without anyone noticing. Had I switched from my hair without concealers to a piece it would have been very noticeable that I did something.

I really think it's the stigma put on the word "hairpiece", even after seeing photos of how far they had come, I just couldn't see myself wearing one unless I absolutely "had to" because I just didn't want to be a wearer. Now I look back and think of the massive battle I had in keeping my real hair (Propecia, Rogaine, Concealers, Hair Transplant, etc). I still believe that if you can keep your own hair looking good with minor things like concealer it's well worth it. I just think that once it gets to the extreme where it's a struggle to even make it look decent and it's taking a toll on your self esteem, it's time to do something. For some that's a hair transplant, for others it's shaving it off and going with the bald look and for others it's trying a piece.

Anyway, sorry to write a novel...I got a little long winded there. Again, glad to hear your transition has gone well for you.

dave
(no login)

No score for this post
June 3 2012, 1:17 PM 

Thanks have to say its up and down atm, its nothing to do with the piece as you cant see it but a decade of long hair to short hair is making me very self concious....I kinda wish I hadnt cut it and just tried a different style now I know it will take months of growing my hair out if I want to go back to my old style.

It may just be the shock but I hate my high hairline and wrinkles on my forehead....obviously a larger partial to lower my hairline could be the answer, if I had a low hairline all this would be great.

Steven
(Login Steven_G_UK)

No score for this post
June 4 2012, 3:44 PM 

I think you and I, Eric, had VERY similar experiences in the hairloss>concealer>meds>transplant>hairpiece route!

I was willing to do ANYTHING to not wear a wig! Shaving my head made me look like Uncle Fester.

I NEED hair!

Growing up, I think every one knew of some guy in their town, neighbourhood that wore a wig.
I thought by wearing, I'd be THAT guy.
Even a few years in to wearing I felt self conscious about it.

I think that was a remnant from the previous years of spending hours in the bathroom using concealers and being VERY aware of being in direct light, getting caught in the rain etc. and watching it get thinner & thinner, month after month.

But as time went on any know one EVER said anything (apart from compliments) and that self consciousness wore off.

I'm so glad I stuck with it.

receded93
(Login receded93)

No score for this post
June 4 2012, 6:13 PM 

Great to hear Dave!!

Would love to see some pics if you ever have a chance and are willing!

Eric
(Premier Login -Eric)
Forum Owner

No score for this post
June 4 2012, 8:28 PM 

Hi Steven,

Very similar routes & I have to agree with the "knowing" someone that wore example that you referenced. The really thick, noticeable pieces really do freak you out before becoming a wearer....like you said, you worry that yours will be noticeable like that, etc.

I used to be really bummed out about the transplant route not working out for me, because now I pretty much have to wear a topper...however, even without the transplant "dots" I wouldn't be able to pull off the shaved look anyway.

Dave, I know where you are at right now and the "awkward" feeling. I think many of us felt that way when switching. I actually took forever to actually switch, I wore over my existing hair on the weekends just to make sure nobody seemed to be noticing my piece...then I would go back to concealers during the work week. I finally shaved after a long time of that experiment. It's a very tough change, but I have to tell you that with you not even being able to tell where the partial is...others certainly aren't. You want to be able to go out and not worry or dwell on it, I know it's easier said than done but you really will get to that point just from getting over the initial shock yourself and seeing that others aren't noticing anything at all. It's been said many times before, but you really want to try and forget it and not be paranoid about it.

dave
(no login)

No score for this post
June 5 2012, 1:39 AM 

I do have a pic but you really cant see the piece is so small....and although I know that no-one I know will be on here I just dont want to post it.

When i first changed my style and piece I loved it but began to realise how high my hairline is and how big it made my forhead look and I was more aware of that thean I was when I had a really terrible style...so I'm regretting it a bit...not the piece but me cutting a lot of hair off.

Now things arent all bad, hair will grow back although the amount I shaved off it will take probably a year at least....so I will have to rock the short big forehead style lol.

On a positive note I did see my sister the other day and she said my hair looked better...i told her I wasnt sure about but she said its an improvement.

I havent recieved my stock piece yet when i do (dependant on colour match) I can cut a decent sized partial out of it and I may run a small strip along my hairline lowering it, I think that will make a big difference, the rest of m hair is quite messy and curly not the best but I prefer that than to wear a bigger partial...that may change of course.

Anyway theres lots of possibilities at the moment, all a little scarey, but also could benefit me.

Steven
(Login Steven_G_UK)

No score for this post
June 5 2012, 3:36 AM 

Dave,

The fact you've changed your hair style and plan to re-change it by growing it back is a good thing.
People won't notice any additions & hair replacements you add if your hair style is ever changing.
Most people who wear hair have the same style, cut & length, day-in & day-out.

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum