Do you think because

by Anonymous (no login)

may be when you applied, SABA were brand new so they haven't heard of the school yet. Another thing is that if for some reason they don't like someone (after they interviewed the person) of course they wouldn't pick that person regardless of the score, school attended. Would you pick some elegant person who has the top score or a person who has a decent score but has more qualified characters? You mentioned that they picked someone over you, maybe that interviewee has characters that impressed the interviewers (i'm not putting you down). Therefore, I don't think it was because of the school; otherwise you wouldn't be invited for that particular interview.

People often compare one caribbean school to another, if you compare the lowest standard carribbean school to some school in China, Vietname (i mentioned these countries b/c i have been treated by a few doctors from those regions before) or some none-English speaking countries, the caribbean school will becomes famous to the US students. However, I don't think the residency program look at it that way, because i have seen many asian doctors at UCLA, UCIrvine, UCDavis, Berkley ...(Ivy-league huh) who are in all range of practice; these guys have a heavy accent, spoke poor English, some was learning how to communicate in English while they were in residency training, many of them even have been teaching medical students at the schools mentioned earlier.

Finally, i don't think it really matters where you when to medical school (of course it has to be listed in the WHO). I think what matter is that your usmle scores and the way you carry yourself.

Posted on Oct 10, 2002, 8:10 PM
from IP address 198.81.26.208

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Find more forums on Medical SchoolCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement