Return to Index  

REFUTED- Is Christ God in I JOHN 5:20...?

June 18 2006 at 4:50 PM
VER  (Login -.)

Response to You are way behind one yours, I will let you catch up

One of the verses used to support the belief that Christ is God is I John 5:20 which states:

“We know also that the Son of God has come and has given us understanding, so that we may know him who is true. And we are in him who is true--even in his Son Jesus Christ. He is the true God and eternal life.”(NIV)

Allegedly, this verse teaches that Christ is the true God as the name "Jesus Christ" precedes the statement "This is the true God and eternal life."

What must be realized is the fact that there are two different entities mentioned in the verse:

(1) the Son of God who give us the understanding that we may know Him (who is true), and

(2) the true God whom the Son would introduce.

It must also be noted that as we are in Him (God) who is true, we are also in His Son Jesus Christ; thus, the Son is different from him (God) who is the true and who has a Son.

The statement "this is the true God and eternal life" refers not to the Son but to Him - The Almighty God - whom the son introduced. Further proof of this is recorded in John 17:1-3:

“After Jesus said this, he looked toward heaven and prayed: Now this is eternal life: that they may know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent.(NIV)

In this prayer of our Lord Jesus christ, when He said "...this is eternal life, that they may know You," He was referring to the Father, the only true God. Otherwise, He would have said "...that they may know Me, the only true God." But Christ pointed that He was the one sent by the Father.

(Ref. God's Message Magazine, August 1999)

Respond to this message   
Responses

1. And who was the last entity made before the statement? - Jason on Jun 30, 2006, 5:17 AM
    1. can the last entity before the statement is a logical proof?..LOL - VER on Nov 20, 2006, 6:12 AM
      1. .. - Anonymous on Sep 28, 2007, 1:11 PM
      2. .. - Anonymous on Oct 14, 2007, 5:05 PM

Find more forums on ChristianityCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  

Wherefore a man shall leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife
and they shall be two in one flesh