Atheist DefinitionJuly 27 2017 at 2:58 PM
|Deacon646 (Login Deacon646)|
Response to Infidel
According to Merriam Webster, an atheist is one who does not believe in a god or any gods. Technically, I don't think there is any selective atheism at least not based on the dictionary definition of the word. If you believe in Zeus, you are not an atheist.
Fwiw, I believe that religions have both positives and negatives. Many of the best universities in the world started out as religious schools. The biggest negative regarding religion is fanatical and unquestioning devotion to it. Fanatics are the ones that start wars, blow themselves up for Allah, or kill others that are not part of the "one true religion". Or they destroy families by ensuring family members believe that those that leave a particular religion (such as the INC). Or even religions that coerce you into giving money to them because "god wills it".
The problem is that if you take away religion, history has shown that people will switch their fanatical devotion to something else. World War I and World War II showed that nationalism or political philosophies such as Nazism or Communism or even Capitalism, can be just as evil a devotion as religion can.
- Re: Atheist Definition - almario on Jul 28, 2017, 4:30 AM
- Re: Atheist Definition - almario on Aug 5, 2017, 2:51 PM
- When hell is used to translate the Greek word hades, then all who die go to hell. - Tomas on Aug 5, 2017, 3:31 PM
- Strange the concept of Hell is never mentioned in the old testament.. - Iam1plus1plus1 on Aug 5, 2017, 3:44 PM
- In some Bible translations, for example KJV, hell is often used in the Old Testament - Tomas on Aug 5, 2017, 3:58 PM