Return to Index  

I want to say that Muslims do not have a dogma about how old is the universe.

July 29 2017 at 3:02 PM
Tomas  (Login TomasSedlacek)

Response to Infidel

The Qur'an does not have anything like Genesis 1, that could be misinterpreted as teaching a literal creation in 6 days. Or even any indication about when Adam lived. The Qur'an does teach creation in 6 days, but it does not describe the days as an evening and a morning, and it says in one verse that a day of God is like a 1000 years and in another verse that a day of God like a 50,000 years. So Muslims normally believe that the six days were long eras of unknown duration. One passage talks about creation in 6 days, but has a sequence that could be interpreted as adding up to 8 days, but that is interpreted traditionally as having two days overlap over other two days. So I don't know of any Muslims that teach the universe was created within the last few thousand years. If you know of any, please let me know. What I am saying is mainly from the notes to the translation of the Qur'an by Abdullah Yusuf Ali.
However, many Muslims do teach that the theory of evolution is wrong. I have read a few days ago that in Turkey they have banned the teaching of evolution in schools. Turkey is becoming a much more Islamic regime and much less of a secular regime, contrary to the secular regime established by the founder of modern Turkey, Ataturk.

Respond to this message   
Find more forums on ChristianityCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  

Wherefore a man shall leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife
and they shall be two in one flesh