Return to Index  

I did study ancient Greek at Queens College. So I know understand some of it,

August 3 2017 at 8:02 AM
Tomas  (Login TomasSedlacek)

Response to Re: Yes, what is in KJV is sometimes lost in translation. It is good to check the

but of course with Bible concordances and interlinear translations, I can get a very good understanding of what I did not understand with my limited understanding of Greek.
I read about Hebrew and Aramaic only at home. So I know a lot about their grammars, but not many words. But again, with Bible concordances and interlinear translations, I can understand almost all, though with a few Hebrew words even the best experts are not sure of what the words mean, like with a few names of animals and birds. So the translations have only guesses for such words. Though it is already very well known that the Hebrew word rem did not mean 'unicorn', so it is totally mistranslated in the KJV and some other ancient translations. So no need to speculate that unicorns used to exist. This word exists in some related Semitic languages, and so based on the meaning in those languages, it is thought that the Hebrew word meant 'wild ox', as it is indeed translated in many modern English versions. One verse in the Bible makes it clear the rem had horns, so it could not have only one horn. That is Deut. 39:17, which should be translated 'his horns are like the horns of a wild ox'. The KJV, believing this to be unicorns, put it in the plural, even though in Hebrew, rem is in the singular. So they translated it '... like the horns of unicorns'. Very bad translation. It was influenced by the faulty translation into Greek of the Septuagint.

Find more forums on ChristianityCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  

Wherefore a man shall leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife
and they shall be two in one flesh