<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Idiomatic translation John 1:1-14

June 29 2017 at 4:09 AM
Wayne  (Login vgretz_8)

MIT — The Idiomatic Translation of the New Testament
Copyright © 2008 by William Graham MacDonald
Electronic version of December 24, 2008
John 1:1-14 MIT
1 In the beginning the word intrinsic to God, identifying God, was active.
2 This word, expressed in the beginning, belonged to God.
3 Through his word all creation originated; not one existing component was created apart from his word.
4 Life inhered in the word, and life was humanity's light.
5 The light shines in the darkness, and darkness did not put it out.
6 A man commissioned by God came on the scene; his name was John.
7 His role was to advocate the light by his testimony, that through the light everyone might believe.
8 Not that light himself, John came to authenticate the light.
9 This true light that enlightens all humanity was arriving in the world.
10 Light was in the world—the world that originated through it, yet the world did not recognize him.
11 He came into his own possessions, and his own people did not accept him.
12 But to all those who did receive him, those believing in his name, he gave the right to become God's children.
13 They were fathered neither by blood lines, nor by biological drives, nor by a husband's insistence, but by God.
14 The word originated a human being, who made his home among us. We had a good look at his glory—glory as of an only son representing his father, glory permeated with grace and truth.

AuthorReply
Tomas
(Login TomasSedlacek)

I guess when a more literal translation would not give the right result, then let's resort

June 29 2017, 4:42 AM 

to an idiomatic translation, that can help us get the result we want.
Though of course the problem would be that different translators would come up with different idiomatic translations, so each would get the result he wants. So the result would be a diversity of doctrines, each based on a different idiomatic translation.

almario
(Login almario38)

"SEARCHING THE SCRIPTURES"

July 2 2017, 9:33 PM 

God has been telling His people both in the Old and New Testament to "search the Scriptures:"

Isaiah 34:16 "Seek ye out of the book of the LORD, and read: no one of these shall
fail, none shall want her mate: for my mouth it hath commanded, and his spirit it hath
gathered them."

John 5:39 "Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life..."

There are two views on the "search."

One is for people to "burn the midnight oil," so to speak, spending time, effort, and everything
trying to understand the Scriptures.

The other is to be "converted into a "little child" reading the Holy Bible, and waiting
for God to give the great revelation of His words.

See for yourself which classification you belong .

Great men today are still at a loss as to Who Jesus Christ, the Father, and the Holy Spirit
is/are. Coming from their very lips, "God is a mystery, incapable of clear recognition."
God never missed in His words:

1 Corinthians 1:19-21 "... I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to
nothing the understanding of the prudent. Where is the wise? where is the scribe? where is
the disputer of this world... the world by wisdom knew not God..."

Today, where can we find the fourth category of people? Where did we find the disciples of
Christ? In high society? In politics? They are obscure as the Disciples of Christ. They
are, however, as knowledgeable and assertive of the great message of the Word of God as
their counterpart almost 2000 years ago!

Just as God had "not hidden" Himself from the Disciples, God is equally conspicuous to them.
They banner their clear recognition of God - the "One Lord and one God!" And since, "In the
beginning was the Word...and the Word was God," to them the great message of the Holy Bible
is as bright as the sun, so to speak.

What a great contradiction to many people! These people profess intellectual destitution,
yet they know many things about God and His words. The reason is that truth is seen in
them:

Isaiah 28:9 "Whom shall he teach knowledge? and whom shall he make to understand
doctrine? them that are weaned from the milk, and drawn from the breasts." (KJV only)

2 Timothy 3:15 "And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are
able to make thee wise unto salvation..."

With their true spiritual humility, they recognize the AUTHORITY of God!

Isaiah 55:8-9 "For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,
saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than
your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts."

How easy for many people to quote that verse. Test for real trust in God: How many people
accept the following truth?

James 1:5-8 "If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men
liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him. But let him ask in faith, nothing
wavering. For he that wavereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed.
For let not that man think that he shall receive any thing of the Lord. A double minded man
is unstable in all his ways."

almario
(Login almario38)

Re: "SEARCHING THE SCRIPTURES"- with correction

July 2 2017, 9:42 PM 

God has been telling His people both in the Old and New Testament to "search the Scriptures:"

Isaiah 34:16 "Seek ye out of the book of the LORD, and read: no one of these shall
fail, none shall want her mate: for my mouth it hath commanded, and his spirit it hath
gathered them."

John 5:39 "Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life..."

There are two views on the "search."

One is for people to "burn the midnight oil," so to speak, spending time, effort, and everything
trying to understand the Scriptures.

The other is to be "converted into a "little child" reading the Holy Bible, and waiting
for God to give the great revelation of His words.

See for yourself which classification you belong .

Great men today are still at a loss as to Who Jesus Christ, the Father, and the Holy Spirit
is/are. Coming from their very lips, "God is a mystery, incapable of clear recognition."
God never missed in His words:

1 Corinthians 1:19-21 "... I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to
nothing the understanding of the prudent. Where is the wise? where is the scribe? where is
the disputer of this world... the world by wisdom knew not God..."

If we are to see the four kinds of people in our time, can we possibly identify ourselves?

To the first are the people who do not believe in the Holy Bible as the word of God.
These are the different religions of the world who have their own "inspired writings."

To the second group belong the people who, although they know that the Holy Bible is
the word of God, do not put much thought about it. They are preoccupied with some
"important matters" in life.

To the third are the religious people in our time. Trusting in man’s intelligence and
capability, they spend many years in Bible schools "burning the midnight oil," so to speak.
With the diploma/s in hand, they profess authority from God as prophets, apostles,
evangelists, pastors, teachers. Just like their counterparts during the time of Christ,
they draw many people with their eloquent preaching of the Law of God. Everything is seen
in them as Christ saw in His time: the title and honor (Matthew 23:8-10), authority and
heavy burden imposed on the people (Matthew 23:4), distinction in attire (Matthew 23:5-7),
peculiarity in speech, manner and conduct (Luke 20:47 ), beautiful prayers (Matthew 6:7),
and "cleanliness" as our Lord saw "cleanliness" in them (Matthew 23:25 -26).

Today, where can we find the fourth category of people? Where did we find the disciples of
Christ? In high society? In politics? They are obscure as the Disciples of Christ. They
are, however, as knowledgeable and assertive of the great message of the Word of God as
their counterpart almost 2000 years ago!

Just as God had "not hidden" Himself from the Disciples, God is equally conspicuous to them.
They banner their clear recognition of God - the "One Lord and one God!" And since, "In the
beginning was the Word...and the Word was God," to them the great message of the Holy Bible

What a great contradiction to many people! These people profess intellectual destitution,
yet they know many things about God and His words. The reason is that truth is seen in
them:

Isaiah 28:9 "Whom shall he teach knowledge? and whom shall he make to understand
doctrine? them that are weaned from the milk, and drawn from the breasts." (KJV only)

2 Timothy 3:15 "And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are

Isaiah 55:8-9 "For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,
saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than

How easy for many people to quote that verse. Test for real trust in God: How many people

James 1:5-8 "If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men
liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him. But let him ask in faith, nothing
wavering. For he that wavereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed.
For let not that man think that he shall receive any thing of the Lord. A double minded man
is unstable in all his ways."

Tomas
(Login TomasSedlacek)

Yes, we can ask God for wisdom, but we can't ask him for revelation,

July 3 2017, 6:21 AM 

since there is no new revelation, all that we need is already revealed in the Bible. After all, God revealed to Paul to write in 1 Cor. 4:6, not to go beyond what is written.

almario
(Login almario38)

Re: Yes, we can ask God for wisdom, but we can't ask him for revelation,

July 3 2017, 2:22 PM 

Revelations to paul of the One and Only GOD that manifested in the
flesh from HIS divine sole divine guidance as HE let them be written
from Sacred Scriptures upon Sacred Scriptures cause him to go beyond
what was written?

Re posted for the converted as little children's discernment to lead
their spiritual walk upon the way in entering the kingdom of heaven.

them:

is unstable in all his ways . "

Tomas
(Login TomasSedlacek)

No revelation today, since the Bible is finished. So the revelation of God for totay

July 5 2017, 1:30 PM 

is all in the Bible. So don't be double minded, accept that you can't receive a revelation beyond what is revealed in the Bible. As you quoted James 1:8, a double minded man is unstable in all his ways. So to get revelation from the Bible, and to get new revelation today, that would be double minded, as it would go contrary to the Bible. As God revealed to Paul, we are not to go beyond what is written. So we are not to expect new revelation today. Not until Christ comes back and we are resurrected.

almario
(Login almario38)

Re: No revelation today, since the Bible is finished. So the revelation of God for totay

July 5 2017, 4:47 PM 

matthew 11:25 At that time Jesus answered and said, I
thank thee, O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because
thou hast hid these things from the wise and prudent,
and hast revealed them unto babes.

luke 10:21 In that hour Jesus rejoiced in spirit, and
said, I thank thee, O Father, Lord of heaven and earth,
that thou hast hid these things from the wise and prudent,
and hast revealed them unto babes: even so, Father; for
so it seemed good in thy sight.

Tomas absolutely deceived himself due to his own formulated
doctrines thus going over on top persistently falsifying GOD's
infallible Sacred Words HE let them be written only within HIS
revealed TRUTH upon a human being's soul salvation.

Are you not the one unstable falsifying GOD's revelation
on paul's recognition and absolute identification of the
One and Only GOD Saviour that manifested in flesh ??

Another is your philosophical and grammatical defense of
your doctrine upon GOD's revelation to Thomas of Who was
the One and Only Lord and GOD .

Your ownership of doctrines highly altered too john's GOD
revelations of letting him knew and recognized HIS Name
upon the essence of the infallible Words of written TRUTH.

At this point in time, Tomas steady devotion upon his own
doctrines instead of GOD's Sacred Words as written will not
reveal upon such snobbish soul Who HE was that manifested
in flesh .

matthew 18:3 And said, Verily I say unto you, Except ye be
converted , and become as little children , ye shall not
enter into the kingdom of heaven .

john 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was
with God, and the Word was God .

Rev 19:13 And he was clothed with a vesture dipped in blood:
and his name is called The Word of God .

Tomas
(Login TomasSedlacek)

Of course when Jesus spoke in Mt. 11:25 and similarly in Lk. 10:21, the Bible was not yet

July 7 2017, 7:25 AM 

finished, so there was still revelation going on, so as Jesus said, the Father had revealed these things to babes, even though they were still not written in the Bible. But now we have the whole Bible, so that is the only revelation to us. Like the slogan believed by many Protestants, sola scriptura, meaning scripture only.

almario
(Login almario38)

Re: Of course when Jesus spoke in Mt. 11:25 and similarly in Lk. 10:21, the Bible was not yet

July 7 2017, 5:30 PM 

Oh yes !! Mere slogans .....

Tomas ownership of GOD's doctrines deceived his soul evidently and a great stumbling
block upon him to be converted to become one of GOD's little children at this point
in time.

GOD's infallible Words sternly rebutting your head learned knowledge so as not to led
astray a human being that is seeking and searching his/her own soul salvation. Thus,
they would be be able to walk then upon the way of Truth revealed solely to those
converted to become as little children entering the kingdom of heaven.

Mk 4:11 And he said unto them, Unto you it is given to know the mystery of the
kingdom of God: but unto them that are without, all these things are done in
parables:

Rom 11:25 For I would not, brethren, that ye should be ignorant of this mystery,
lest ye should be wise in your own conceits; that blindness in part is happened
to Israel, until the fulness of the Gentiles be come in.

Rom 16:25 Now to him that is of power to stablish you according to my gospel, and
the preaching of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery, which
was kept secret since the world began,

Eph 1:9 Having made known unto us the mystery of his will, according to his good
pleasure which he hath purposed in himself:

Eph 3:3 How that by revelation he made known unto me the mystery ; as I wrote afore
in few words,

Eph 3:4 Whereby, when ye read, ye may understand my knowledge in the mystery of Christ

Eph 3:9 And to make all men see what is the fellowship of the mystery , which from the
beginning of the world hath been hid in God , who created all things by Jesus Christ:

Eph 6:19 And for me, that utterance may be given unto me, that I may open my mouth
boldly, to make known the mystery of the gospel,

Col 1:26 Even the mystery which hath been hid from ages and from generations , but now
is made manifest to his saints :

Col 1:27 To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery
among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory:

Col 2:2 That their hearts might be comforted, being knit together in love, and unto
all riches of the full assurance of understanding, to the acknowledgement of the
mystery of God, and of the Father, and of Christ;

1 Tim 3:9 Holding the mystery of the faith in a pure conscience.

1 Tim 3:16 And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness :
God was manifest in the flesh , justified in the Spirit, seen of angels,
preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into
glory.

Tomas
(Login TomasSedlacek)

When these verses were written, the Bible was not yet finished, so revelation was still

July 8 2017, 2:13 PM 

going on.

almario
(Login almario38)

Re: When these verses were written, the Bible was not yet finished, so revelation was still

July 8 2017, 6:47 PM 

Only absolute revelations within GOD's infallible Words HE let them
be written only within the realm of HIS SPIRITUAL TRUTH upon the
only divine guidance from HIMSELF's isaiah 28:9 and 10.

A personal ownership of GOD 's doctrines , surely will lead ones such
soul still groping in the dark for his/her soul salvation.

Rom 1:28 And even as they did not like to retain God in their
knowledge , God gave them over to a reprobate mind , to do those
things which are not convenient ;

2 Cor 13:5 Examine yourselves , whether ye be in the faith; prove your
own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in
you, except ye be reprobates ?

Tomas
(Login TomasSedlacek)

Yes, good, so we should retain God in our knowledge, so that God would not give us

July 10 2017, 2:37 AM 

over to a reprobate mind, like Rom. 1:28 says, excellent verse for this. So I retain God in my knowledge. Or like Paul says in the verse you quote, 2 Cor. 13:5, so I examined myself, whether I be in the faith, and indeed I am, so Jesus Christ is in me, so I am not a reprobate. So I hope you likewise have Jesus Christ in you, so you would not be a reprobate. So you need to retain God in your knowledge, as in that verse you quoted, Rom. 1:28. But remember, that does not mean you can know everything about God, that would be presumptuous, and could lead to pride. It simply means we know God, like we know our relatives, but of course we don't know everything about our relatives. So how can we know everything about God? Of course we can't.

almario
(Login almario38)

Re: Yes, good, so we should retain God in our knowledge, so that God would not give us

July 12 2017, 2:04 PM 

Pass the judgment then to your soul by abrogating Thomas absolute acceptance
of his Lord and GOD and knowing HIM who HE was that manifested in the flesh.

Rom 10:2 For I bear them record that they have a zeal of God , but not

according to knowledge . 3 For they being ignorant of God 's righteousness ,

and going about to establish their own righteousness , have not submitted

themselves unto the righteousness of God .

2 Cor 13:5 Examine yourselves , whether ye be in the faith ; prove your
own selves . Know ye not your own selves , how that Jesus Christ is in
you , except ye be reprobates ?

Rom 1:28 And even as they did not like to retain God in their
knowledge , God gave them over to a reprobate mind , to do those
things which are not convenient ;

Tomas
(Login TomasSedlacek)

Don't worry, I'm not abrogating Thomas's absolute acceptance of his Lord and God

July 12 2017, 4:05 PM 

and knowing him who he was that manifested in the flesh. Yes, Thomas accepted the Father as his Lord and God and knew the Father who he was that manifested in the flesh.
Glory to the Father! He sustains the universe, and he can give us salvation. Our Father is the greatest. As Arabs, including Christian Arabs, say, Allahu akbar. God is the greatest. Muslims should not only acknowledge this, but also bow to his Son. He died for our sins, so that we can be saved.

almario
(Login almario38)

Re: Don't worry, I'm not abrogating Thomas's absolute acceptance of his Lord and God

July 14 2017, 7:53 PM 

Tomas in his "my doctrines" admission disavowed Thomas absolute
recognition, knowing, and identifying the One and Only GOD Saviour
that manifested in the flesh.

His reply was only conjectures exposing him in a quandary and cannot
believe the manifestation of the One and only GOD Saviour in the flesh
at this point in time.

Below as underscored from his reply :
" God is the greatest . Muslims should not only acknowledge this,
but also bow to his Son . He died for our sins , so that we can
be saved ."

Tomas
(Login TomasSedlacek)

So where do you think I was wrong? I believe I was right in all I said.

July 15 2017, 3:29 PM 

And certainly Thomas identified the only God Savior that manifested in the flesh, yes, God our Father. Thomas was right. So why do you say I am wrong?

almario
(Login almario38)

Re: So where do you think I was wrong? I believe I was right in all I said.

July 15 2017, 4:07 PM 

Do you now believe that the One and Only GOD Saviour
manifested in the flesh absolutely ??

Do not deny that your doctrines of grammatical rules
disavowed his absolute belief on Who is the One and
Only GOD that manifested in the flesh.

Tomas
(Login TomasSedlacek)

Yes, I do believe that the one and only God Savior, our Father, manifested in

July 15 2017, 4:38 PM 

the flesh, absolutely. After all, the Bible says that all the fullness of the Godhead dwells in Jesus bodily, Col. 2:9. So Jesus said that whoever saw him saw the Father.

almario
(Login almario38)

Re: Yes, I do believe that the one and only God Savior, our Father, manifested in

July 15 2017, 10:17 PM 

Do not stop there for there are more that GOD Saviour Who
manifested in flesh identifies HIMSELF as revealed unto
babes's discernment by their virtue of being converted
to become as little children.

Here are but some of GOD's preludes only upon HIS divine
guidance HE let them be written in isaiah 28:10:

Simon Peter by declaring “JESUS is the Christ” saw Him as the
“Father in the flesh” ready to fulfill His testament of salvation
with His death as required in:

Hebrews 9:16 For where a testament is, there must also of
necessity be the death of the testator. 17 For a testament
is of force after men are dead: otherwise it is of no
strength at all while the testator liveth.

And so, religious leaders have “not seen” this is “key” that
clearly points to JESUS CHRIST as the GOD! Further evidences
are the many Bible translations avoiding the word “God” and
substituting it with “He” or “Jesus Christ” that clearly shows
the translators do not clearly identify JESUS!

1 Timothy 3:16[Bishops Bible and KJV 1611] And without controversy
great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh,
justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles...

This truth is attested to by John the Beloved proving Jesus Christ is
the “FATHER in the flesh” that shed His blood on the cross:

1 John 3:16 Hereby perceive we the love of God, because he laid down
his life for us…

But this truth is subverted by the following Bible translations, and
many others, substituting the word GOD with HE and CHRIST, proving
the translators cannot clearly recognize JESUS:

1 Timothy 3:16 [NIV] Beyond all question, the mystery from which true
godliness springs is great: He appeared in the flesh, was vindicated
by the Spirit, was seen by angels, was preached among the nations, was
believed on in the world, was taken up in glory.

1 Timothy 3:16 [CEV -Contemporary English Version] Here is the great
mystery of our religion: Christ came as a human. The Spirit proved that
he pleased God, and he was seen by angels. Christ was preached to the
nations. People in this world put their faith in him, and he was taken
up to glory.

Plus, many more modern Bible versions.

Hence, the WARNING!

Jesus Christ speaking :

John 8:24 I said therefore unto you , that ye shall die in your sins :
for if ye believe not that I am he , ye shall die in your sins .

< Previous Page 1 2 3 4 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on ChristianityCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  

Wherefore a man shall leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife
and they shall be two in one flesh