Return to Index  

Re: Vertical Drop

August 23 2008 at 9:09 AM
Jerry  (Login thinkin2)

Response to Re: Vertical Drop

Herbert, my post was primarily in response to yours about Moe but I think all good players have this move to some degree. It may not be an independent move but rather happens as the body begins the downswing. In Hogan's book, "Five Lessons", he demonstrates this with illustrations on pages 94 & 95 of the paperback edition. He says, "The turning of the hips inaugurates the downswing. This movement of the hips automatically lowers the arms and hands to a position just above hip level". From every view of Hogan I have seen I believe this to be true, at least of Hogan. Others may achieve it in somewhat different ways. Hogan's version of the plane was the pane of glass but I think when people talk about Moe the plane is in reference to the line of his club and arms to the ball. Obviously Hogan didn't mean for the pane of glass to be the plane to be swung on but rather he believed that the swing had to stay beneath the pane of glass. At any rate, my post was concerning Moe's plane. If you look at some video of Moe you will see his hands above that plane at the top but he gets them back down nicely. The older Moe didn't really get his hands above that plane I don't think. He probably was closer to a true one plane swing than anybody.
Jerry

Respond to this message   
Responses