Return to Index  

Backswing similiar to J Hardy's One Plane

November 26 2008 at 9:48 AM
JK  (Login brutus37)

Response to The "Push Pull Swing" from the Taly Point guy

This Taly's move about how to "pull" the club back reminds me a lot like J. Hardy's One Plane Swing method of "starting a lawn mower by pulling the cord". However, that seems to be the only thing resembling the One Plane Swing.

IMHO, this is just about the easiest type of swing I ever read or witnessed. Pull back with the trail hand. Push down with the trail hand. Seems simple enough. However, it is definitely not for the accomplished player. Rather, a good start for a beginner or someone with no golfing ability such as myself?

Yesterday, I went to the range during lunch and gave it a try. I went to the stall next to a guy who looked like he knew what he was doing. I asked him how did my swing looked at the top and follow thru. He said it actually looked pretty good.

The hits and drives were ok. I couldn't seem to get the right hand push method right. I started to use my lead side shoulder for the downswing and it helped a little. On average, I was about 10 yards shorter than normal with my 8 iron.

The Taly website really needs some work. The man should invest in a few bucks and create a professional outlay. But I was able to gather some info about his swing philosophy.

Things I scraped up about the Taly swing on the site:

* Traditional setup with hands held higher than normal.
Looking closely... frame by frame. It appears that the shaft at setup and impact is at the same angle.

* Right side dominate.
Pull back with the right hand on the back swing. And, push right towards ball on the downswing. Not slap, throw, or swing, but a "push". Perhaps to create a lag?

* Keep lead wrist firm and flat. Focus on keeping the triangle.

* Same type of move/swing from wedge to driver.

* Torque is created more in the upper part of the body rather than in the hips.
I noticed that his hips are almost parallel to the ball at the top of the backswing.

* No conscious effort of turning shoulders or arms.
The main focus on the back swing is pulling the club back with the right hand. Once you reach a point that your body can no longer turn, your hands will rise automatically. You do not consciously turn your shoulders or raise your hands.

So, anyone can add to the list. Perhaps Peter can give a more technical evaluation?

Respond to this message   
Responses