Return to Index  

Some Bertholy and Moe topics

December 7 2008 at 6:40 PM
DougFerreri  (Login DougFerreri)
SAGF Members 2002

Response to Paul Bertholy's Clubs (Doug)

Remington asked how much of an influence was Paul on Moe. When I visited Moe in Titusville the meeting was set up by Moe's best and closest friend of nearly 50 years Nick Weslock.

Th reason Moe alowed his picture in Golf Swing Construction 101 is because of my tie to Bertholy. On the 9th hole at the Canadian Golf club in Titusville with Moe in the cart with him ,Nick Weslock said he wished had a chance to meet Paul and that "Paul was Moe's golf guru". So how much influence Paul had on Moe you be the judge. By the way Moe met Paul in the 1950's. Moe was a friend of Leo Biagetti who Paul and Missi Bertholy had a hand in raising. It was Paul who taught Leo as a young man. It was through Leo that Paul and Moe met. According to Paul at that time Leo and Moe would stop at Paul's driving range and hit balls. Then later when Moe was older the connection was re established. Moe had very high praise for Leo's ability as a pure ball striker.

To answer your question Tom, Paul customized everthing. This guy was way ahead of the manufacturers. For those who never met Paul he was pushing5'6". His longest iron at that time(1980) was a 5 iron. He played his irons about 1.5 inches over standard legnth to create a longer arc. He made each iron about 2 degrees strong. He bought a muscleback iron from Hornung golf and ground the heel and put on a 4 way camber while all other clubs of the time were usually pretty square soled. He did this to minimize the drag of the iron in the turf and the rough. His also ground them down to get them back into a d2-5 S/W

His driver was 46" laminated maple. He took the sole plate off removed the lead plug in the head and replaced it with steel wool to get the S/W back into line. He did this with his 4 and 5 wood. His 4 wood was the longest fairway wood I have ever hit.

His sand wdege was probably one of the fist lob wedges. It is the one club of his I got after he passed. It is a PGA Lady Contessa Sw with he bent to be very weak. Approx 59 degrees which he did by eyes sight not a Loft lie gage. He wanted the lady version to get a weaker shaft for the soft shots to be played with the club.

Respond to this message   
Responses

Find more forums on GolfCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement