Return to Index  

Flickering in and out

February 2 2009 at 1:35 AM

(Login gHerbert)
SAGF Members 2001

Response to Sorry bro,

The whole key is to enjoy yourself!

I don't believe that I have ever seen your swing but I have seen video of Todds.
Per his brother:
When Todd played on the Canadian Tour, Asian Tour, Hooter's Tour, etc.. he always was one of the leaders in fairways hit and greens in reg. But that doesn't relate to winning.. it is number of putts and what you do around the green.

Do you think that your ball striking is at that level now? Could you play those courses in tournament conditions and 'be among the leaders in fairways hit and greens in regulation'?

As for your comment about flickering from this to that you are 100% correct! Though I have been working on certain fundamentals relentlessly for some time now there are other things that have changed a lot. I would say that I have deviated quite a bit from strict IMA approach. LOL, for instance I really tried hard to use the IMA short game approach of using a pistoning motion of the trail arm to stroke the ball and I just got worse and worse. I had no control distance and I mis-hit a lot of really simple shots so I switched back to using a body controlled short game swing and I knocked 10 strokes off of my last couple rounds. Also I switched to an overlapping grip with a stronger lead hand and picked up consistency and distance. It is hard to explain but I have to have a swing that is comfortable and makes feel confident that I am going to hit the ball well. So I guess that I have gone back to what I know well. The things that I have been working on for some time and I am sticking with are:
A much better top of backswing position.
A much better impact position.
Better early follow through (rifle barrel).
Hands in front at impact and late hit position.

One new fundamental that I am drilling really hard (for me) is maintaining spine angle through the ball on the downswing.

Regarding Bertholy there is no doubt of the man's golf genius.

Regards, Herbert

Respond to this message   
Responses