Return to Index  

Data

February 15 2009 at 3:49 PM
  (Premier Login sagf_moderator)
Forum Owner

Response to Re: Agreed

From what you've said you data is anecdotal as is mine.

I have played in numerous Nationwide Events, played with many of the top PGA professionals including Tiger, Chad Campbell, Zach Johnson, Lucas Glover, Bo Weekly, Scott Verplank - to only name a few and we all hit LOB WEDGES from the fairway

I don't question your anecdotal evidence. As to mine you were not in Tiger's group at Winged Foot when I observed the shots I reported. Nor were you listed in any of the sectional qualifiers where I observed the other things I've reported (BTW - Generally there are no ropes as sectionals here and I've had some interesting conversations with pros as a result).

Tiger's 30 yard pitch was not an example of extreme clubhead speed. The course was not soft. I've seen many of the top PGA professionals hit other than lob wedges from the fairway when the distance meant a lob wedge could be used.

The original point was:

..if he were trying to make the ball spin more he would add loft ---either by choosing a more lofted club or opening the face of a club----- that even "experts" dont explain this is troubling

My response to this was:

When a pro chooses more loft it is not to produce more spin but to produce a higher trajectory. This is typically done when the lie indicates that there will not be sufficient spin to stop the ball. Pro level spin does not require high trajectory to stop the ball even on tour conditioned greens.

I would add given your examples that this is also where the first bounce would take the ball too far.

The Tiger 30 yard pitch is an example of the point. The quote from Brandell Chamblee is also an example of the point that 'pro level spin does not require high trajectory to stop the ball even on tour conditioned greens'.

As to some of your other points, anyone that really beleives that a ball that has landed on dewey grass is completely dry needs to do some experiments to check that belief. As to a number of your other points you should read other responses in this thread about what happens when a club impacts a ball unless you have data (i.e. measured spin from identical shots in the various conditions) to provide.

While stated opinions are useful Pelz has shown with much of his original work on putting that data driven analysis often provides a very different perspective than pros opinions.

Peter

This message has been edited by sagf_moderator on Feb 15, 2009 3:57 PM
This message has been edited by sagf_moderator on Feb 15, 2009 3:56 PM

Respond to this message