Return to Index  

The paper they are written on

February 16 2009 at 3:01 PM

mcirishman57  (Login mcirishman57)
SAGF Members 2001

Response to Credentials do not matter....

is about what they are worth most of the time, as you said. My point was that with credentials / expert status / etc often times comes an assumption that what they say is true, when actually said holder of credentials is talking out his arse, as evidenced by this thread. Being a PGA pro is no guarantee that you have an understanding of the golf swing, any more than being the Secretary of the Treasury is a guarantee that you will pay your taxes!

The thing that gets me is when someone tries to "down you" because they have the credentials and you don't so how could you know what you are talking about - I got into a discussion at the range about the swing with the PGA pro there ( a fine player ). I asked about set up and if he thought it made sense for "recreational players" to set up closer to how they would be at impact to give them a better chance to achieve a good impact position. He said "show me" and when I did he laughed and said "swing to the top and hold it". So I did, and he laughed even harder saying that I would shank the ball off the range if I swung that way. Hehehehe...

I asked if he was willing back up his statement with a bet. Of course he wasn't. He had a lesson coming up and there was a stall empty next to his lesson, so I bought a bucket and just bashed drive after drive right down the middle, with an occasional pull now and then. LOL, his student, after about 15 minutes, points to me and says, "Man, I would love to be able to hit the ball like that". How hard do you think it was to keep my mouth shut?

Respond to this message   
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement