Return to Index  

FDB

February 20 2009 at 6:37 AM

mcirishman57  (Login mcirishman57)
SAGF Members 2001

Response to Mac- Tell me a bit more about the WHIPPY TEMPO MASTER CLUBS please

and I were playing and I was having a terrible day. One of those Jekyl and Hyde days. My Hydes were usually ob left resulting in high scores! FDB's keen eye spotted something - "You hit it really well when you wait for it at the top" Several times he said this as we were playing, til finally I said out of frustration "I DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN, SHOW ME". When we got home he did. He showed me his homebrew version of the whippy club. The next day we took it with us and after our round we hit some. It was a five iron. FDB has a fine swing and he could hit that thing pretty good. I barely could. The balls go weak right at about 45 degrees of the target line if you don't hit it with a correct swing. Here is the link that answers your questions better than I can: http://www.tempomaster.com/

FDB's was a homebrew and he gave me one to take with me. I had to hit it off a low tee was the only thing. It took me about a week of daily use before I had any consistency. drew a lot of strange looks from people! I used it until I let some smart-alecky kid try it and he broke it on the first attempt hitting the ground behind the ball. I made another and broke that, and then another. This year I will buy the real ones cause they can be hit off the ground, and I am tired of making em...just cant seem to get the club to stay on the end of the shaft.

How far do you hit them?

THE HOMEBREWS WORKED OUT TO ABOUT 3/4 THE DISTANCE OF A NORMAL CLUB, WHIPPY SAYS THEIRS GO AS FAR OR FARTHER. THEY ARE FUN TO HIT, AND IT GIVES A WIERD KIND OF SATISFACTION KNOWING YOU CAN HIT A CLUB THAT PROBABLY ONLY ONE OR TWO OTHER PEOPLE AT THE RANGE ON ANY GIVEN DAY COULD HIT!

How well did you wack whippy on your first few shots?

AS I SAID ABOVE, I DIDN'T. MAYBE ONE OUT OF FIVE WENT STRAIGHT.

Depending on how well someone hits um- would that give
a fella a idea of the quality of his swing and
how close he is to Bertholy method mastery?

I DON'T VIEW THE BERTHOLY METHOD AS SOMETHING THAT CAN BE MASTERED, I VIEW IT AS A REGIME TO DEVELOP AND TRAIN YOUR SWING WITH THE BASIC ABSOLUTE FUNDAMENTALS, AND THEN USE IT TO KEEP SAID SWING TONED AND IN SHAPE. BUT YES I THINK THAT IF YOU CAN HIT THESE CLUBS WELL, THEN YOU ARE ON YOUR WAY. I THINK I SEE WHERE YOU ARE GOING WITH THIS LAST QUESTION YOU SNEAK YOU happy.gif - I WOULD ADVISE AGAINST "TRYING THE SHORTCUT" - FOREGOING THE BERTHOLY METHOD IN FAVOR OF THE WHIPPY. THE STRENGTH AND FLEXIBILITY YOU GAIN FROM THE METHOD, AND THE CONSTANT REPETITION OF THE CORRECT MOVES WITH FEEDBACK IS CRUCIAL.

THE LAST CONTACT I HAD WITH FDB WAS ABOUT A YEAR AGO, RIGHT AFTER MY BROTHER DIED,I KNOW FDB STILL LURKS HERE, AND I WOULD THINK HE WOULD BE PROUD OF ME MAKING THIS MOVE AT THE TOP:

[linked image]

Respond to this message   
Responses