Return to Index  

Not misleading, but....

May 13 2009 at 9:33 PM
  (Premier Login sagf_moderator)
Forum Owner

Response to Peter- this Hand-eye coordination stuff

time for a relevant story. When I had my 'refresher' IMA training with Scott I overhear part of a conversation with the local club pro. In it the pro said 'There are many ways to swing a golf club.' to which Scott replied 'Yes, but some are easier than others.'.

To the extent that educated hands means that your hands need to initiate some action in the middle of the downswing I think that at best it would require tremendous talent and at worst it would be impossible to be consistent. Once again science intrudes and it turns out that it's impossible to respond to some even in the middle of the downswing in time to do something in the downswing so it all comes down to timing which is another way (and by the way forget those demos where the person is told after they start the swing to hit a particular shot - that is after the start of the swing NOT after the start of the downswing).

However note that 'educated hands' can have a different meaning and in a Bertholy context such a phrase would have a different meaning. While I've not seen a quote from Bertholy including the term 'educated hands' a key in his teaching is that the trail hand needs to be trained to do the correct thing in the downswing. Fortunately that correct thing starts soon after the beginning of the swing and does not change through the entire swing so it is not subject to the timing limitation I mentioned above.

Peter

Respond to this message   
Responses