Return to Index  

Release

June 8 2009 at 9:10 AM
Allen  (Login allenws)
SAGF Members 2000

Response to I guess so...

I can't imagine why you would think that keeping your nose over your right knee is bad advice. What it provides is the sudden release at impact of the kinetic energy built up by the lead-lag you've worked so hard to develop via Bertholy. It literally creates a mechanical stop so that you must release at impact, with shoulders square to the target line and club coming from the inside, no matter how well you can maintain those angles. If you allow your head/nose to drift forward in the DS, then this release will not happen properly, and you may come over-the-top and hit weak cuts or pull hooks at best. Granted some talented pro's (Anika and Duval come to mind) have learned how to play well despite not doing this (OK, Anika does) but they are world class athletes and I wouldn't recommend it to anybody.

Keeping your nose over your trail knee at impact is very specific and valuable advice, unlike the ubiquitous "keep you head down" or "left arm straight." In-and-of-themselves, not bad advice in certain situations, but they've become the duct-tape of golf fixes over the years, so generalized that people who give this advice can't answer the questions: when, how, why? I don't think we have to worry about Joe Hacker telling everyone he meets to keep their nose over their trail knee at impact. Most people would say ... huh?

This message has been edited by allenws on Jun 8, 2009 9:14 AM

Respond to this message   
Responses