Return to Index  

Correct Fitting

August 6 2009 at 9:59 AM

Tim Dewyngaert  (Login Timbotoo28)

Response to New to Single Axis, Building Clubs

The best way to get proper fitting is with a club fitter that thinks outside the box. Example: a standard 9 iron is 36" long with steel shafts. A Graphite shaft would be 1/2 to 1" LONGER ie;36.5" to 37"LONG! If you measure 1" over standard, you simply add to your standard length of shaft(37" with steel and 38" with Graphite +/- 1/2"). Swing weight will get heavey on steel( use light weight steel or graphite instead). You must use a lie board to check your lie angle, you want this to pe perfect!
Don't get to crazy with thinking about length, a ten finger grip is 1/2" longer on the club, you need at least that 1/2"! Drivers- same rules apply- standard length drivers 44-44.5"L. If you're 1" over -45-45.5"Long. Some guys want longer, just look at Long Drive guys-48"L! By the way, todays Graphite Shafts are incredible compared to even 3-5 years ago.Low torques down to 1.8, almost like steel with the advantage of easier loading! Keep in mind most PROS have their swing weights at about D4 with Irons and D4-D6 with Woods and they have awesome swings that repeat at will. The rest of us get to watch in awe. After you get fitted correctly to YOUR specifications, take an evaluation lesson with cameras to show you what you do correct and what you need to improve. Give yourself a couple of months to acclimate to your new settings and lessons.

My Background: Started 10 years ago with CG, got to 8 hcp in 2 years, injured back, went with NG for about 1 day(that sucked), found info on IMA/ Scott Hazeldine, got hcp back to 8 in 2 years after that,hcp now around 6.0, play about once every ten days or so. I've been a club fitter for 4 years, used to teach but I find most students don't know, don't care or can't do. A MASTER PGA PRO I work with teaches CG and GOLFING MACHINE and played with Moe a few times(Moe by the way didn't play very well-shot like an 80 and desperately needed a bath). We've had many discussions on what Single Axis is or means and basically agree that all golfers are Single Axis at IMPACT, Grips that are to big do not help, and a palm grip is the worst for your lead hand. This is of course my simplified view. TD

Respond to this message   
Responses