Return to Index  

Having your cake and eating it too: Turn & Body Drive

August 10 2009 at 8:48 AM
Snowman  (Login Snowman9000)
SAGF Members 2006

I'm surprised how much advocacy there is here for increased turn and lower leg drive. Here is my take on the matter.

There is a swing method or style continuum (line) with say Jim Furyk on one end and Moe on the other. Ignore Furyk's idiosyncratic loop and focus on his setup and body drive. No matter where you are on that style line, your setup and swing have to match. If you combine Furyk's setup and Moe's swing, or Moe's setup and Furyk's swing, you won't be able to keep the ball on the planet without some horrendous compensations.

Obviously the vast majority of golf swings are somewhere in the middle ground. Even still, if you are going to set up like Moe but swing in the middle ground style, you are going to have to do something major to keep the ball in play, at least on longer clubs in the bag. There is a reason that CG swings do not have an SA setup. Just as everything matches up in a good SA setup and swing, so it does in CG.

If you are just talking about becoming more flexible and/or strong, that might be different. But if you are talking about changing the fundamental moves and power sources of the SA swing, good luck if you insist on sticking with the SA setup.

You want more turn and body drive? You'd better migrate to a more CG setup. That's certainly been my experience.

Respond to this message   
Responses

Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement