Return to Index  

Guitar Hero

October 6 2009 at 7:55 AM

(Login mcirishman57)
SAGF Members 2001

Two years ago while on vacation at my sisters, my son and I were introduced to the video game Guitar Hero. For those that dont know, it is a game that has songs that you play along with by following patterns of notes that scroll down the screen that are synchronized to the music. There are four levels of difficulty Easy, Medium, Hard, and Expert. Your score is based on a % of the notes you hit correctly. We both watched in amazement as my brother-in-law and nieces would complete song after song on the medium level with utter ease. For our part my son and I could barely get through a song on easy without getting booted from the stage. But over the course of the 10 days we were there, my son was able to progress so that he could complete most any song on medium and I was able to at least finish songs without getting booted. I bought him the game for his birthday, and he played everyday for several hours, and it wasnt long before he could handle the whole playlist on expert. For my part I continued to be able to pass songs on easy and when my % of notes hit 90% I began to try the playlist on medium. I couldnt complete a song. Of course I only played maybe two hours every two weeks.

Fast forward to this past weekend.I am now playing the playlist of songs on the medium level and hit 80% or above on most of the songs. It took me two years to get to where my son got in several months! Still I am there and the game is more fun now. Somehow, someway, over time the necessary skills and dexterity filtered into my playing so that I can execute at a higher level than I did two years ago.

I was thinking about this as it relates to where any of us are at with our golf swing and our game in general. It goes the same way. Some of us may be content to play on easy mode. Others are fine with medium. Some really take to it and wont settle for anything less than expert. Whatever you decide your need is, if you put in the work, you will get. Eventually, over time, if you practice the right things enough times, you will suddenly be hitting the ball 20 yards further than you ever have in your life. You will look back and say How did that happen? You will smile to yourself and say it wasnt really that big of a deal. You will remember that corny saying from your Tony Robbins book The pain of change is forgotten, after the benefits of change have been realized. Then you will be faced with another decision. Continue to play on medium, or try to get to expert? The beautiful thing about it is that either choice is okay, because you now have a better understanding of what it takes to get there, and a better appreciation for the journey. Rock on!

Respond to this message   
Responses