Return to Index  

Also, how you start out can make a difference

December 15 2009 at 4:53 PM

mcirishman57  (Login mcirishman57)
SAGF Members 2001

Response to Importance of the Master Move

Now that my book is into a few hands, I have a had a chance to review video of several folks that are just starting out with the exercises. More and more I see the importance of the first two exercises, and the need to "get it" in these before moving on. How you start out goes a long way toward how you end up...both in your overall golf improvement and in each individual swing. happy.gif

Case in point about the trail elbow. After about a year doing the programs, I was still not getting it and my trail elbow was still not always in the ideal position. I read Peter's 4.5 drill and just decided to incorporate that into all the Bertholy drills I did - every one of them - "if you can't beat em may as well join em" type of thinking. May as well set it there, and keep it there throughout the drill, and that should make easier to "get it there" by impact. "Why fight it any longer?" - that was my thinking.

What I was doing is what I am now seeing repeated in the video my customer's send me. They START OUT with their trail elbow pointing behind them, whereas I now START OUT with it already tucked in and pointing to my navel:

[linked image]

I keep it tucked in close all the way up and all the way down:

[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]

I do this in all my "non-swing" drills, and "over train for it" - or like Bertholy says "train like a boxer". This gives me the best chance for it to show up in a real swing:

[linked image]

It is interesting too, if you start out like this, you will very quickly see that your body will move in a very specific way in order for your trail elbow get where it needs to be. In other words, you don't have to do any thinking at all about what your hips and such are doing - they will do it.

Respond to this message   
Responses