Return to Index  

Info

January 19 2010 at 10:22 PM
Sacto83  (Login Sacto83)
SAGF Members 2002

Response to Weight on lead foot at top of swing?

It depends on which swing film you observe, Pre or Post accident. Most claim Hogan played his best golf after the accident (most majors) using what he contrived while in the hospital recovering. The book I mentioned above documents this with some exceptional evidence and film frames. Its one thing he held back from his interview with life magazine about his "secrets". With the hip slide forward DURING the BS he was able to get the center of gravity stackeed over the pivot point when he reached the top of the BS. The majority of the weight was on the lead foot and all he had to do was start the DS with the rotation of the lead hip... no hip slide necessary. Sam Snead did the same thing but had a little more shift to the trail foot first before getting stacked. Good evidence of this in Bennet's Stack and Tilt instruction though Snead did not Tilt to any degree. Both played (as did Nicholas and Norman) all standard shots using the same ball position for all clubs because the stacking assured that any club would strike the ground in the same place if the mechanics were the same. Of course the ball position would change for a specialty shot such as a knockdown.
I incorporated this move a couple of years ago with great success. A number of Stack and Tilt players swear by its accuracy and ball striking improvement though I personlly don't like the Tilt part, just the Stacking as Hogan did (he left his head centered whereas the S&T instruction would have you move it slighly forward. Both are pivot driven swings but can be used by a hitter albeit with some difficulty.

Respond to this message   
Responses