Return to Index  

Mac was unique and that's the point

March 12 2010 at 8:17 AM

mcirishman57  (Login mcirishman57)
SAGF Members 2001

Response to Re: I'm no John McEnroe ( and you're no Jesper Parnevik)

He strung his racket loose, rarely practiced, and did play some of the most creative shots in the game. He was unique but my dad's point was that his "game" which back then we used as a word that described utilization of the racket - groundstokes, volleys serves etc. - that wasn't what made Mac great. It was something else.

My dad's point was that there are lots of folks that have game enough to play the pro tennis circuit - but they lack that something else.

To put it in golf terms, there are plenty of people that can meet "pro criteria" Rob described - heck I hit as far as the tour average right now. There is a guy in my league who is + 1 and is absolutely lights out - he doesn't even carry a driver when he plays our course. There are thousands of people each year that have a superior technical ability - every year they try and get on tour either in the minis or by going through the Q school...they all hit it great, they all have great short games, but most don't make it. They need that something else.

Also, IMO few people people really have an appreciation for just how good a tour pro is, and how hard it is. I have told this story before - I was on vacation in Orlando and it just so happened that the PGA q-school had just concluded the final stage tourney at Oconnee National the week before. So I booked a tee time. On one hole I had a perfect lie, middle of the fairway and my exact 7 iron in. I hit and absolutely pure...the best I had at my current ability. A shot that was "all over it" and at home would have stopped and perhaps even spun a bit. That ball hit the green and bounced 20 feet form where it landed and rolled off the green. I tried another...same result. I don't remember how many three putts I had, but I know I had a couple of four putts.

So you really do have to have game as Rob has said...but you need more than that...and then....once the rubber meets the road, you find out that the game you had wasn't what you thought...

I wish Rob the best in his quest ( hey that rhymes! ) It would be awesome for one of our own that posts here to do well nationally at any level. I think Lyle A. so far continues to be the one who has had the most competitive success.

Never quit til you have a swing you'll never forget!

This message has been edited by mcirishman57 on Mar 12, 2010 8:19 AM

Responses