Return to Index  

Re: Interesting

June 5 2010 at 3:09 PM

(Login gHerbert)
SAGF Members 2001

Response to Interesting

I have known this for a long time time but have rarely applied it. Recently I was hitting it well on the range but pull or even snap hooking rather often when I played. One day while warming up with my driver before playing I was hitting it well and I was happy with the length I was getting. I decided to relax my swing and slow the downswing and just let it happen for some reason. It seemed that the shots were still going about the same distance and it was a familiar feeling as I have played that way in the past off and on.

So I decided to discipline myself to swing that way while playing. Oddly enough I hit the ball considerably further then I have in a long time. I hit a lot of iron shots too far and my driver much farther then I have been. I play the same course quite often and after a while it becomes obvious that the ball is stopping a lot farther from the tee then it has been. As a matter of fact a buddy that I golf with occasionally mentioned that he had been out driving me but now I was ahead of him.

I still hit bad shots ranging from an occasional weak fade to the pull hooks. Usually I can feel the muscles in the arms taking over during the swing revealing a lack of trust in my ability to hit the shot. Fear as Remington likes to say. The way for me to combat the fear is to focus on making a perfect swinging motion making it happen right in front of me and forgetting about the target or possible outcomes of the shot. My other swing thought is to lead with the hands and watch the club swing through the ball.

Hmmm, in other words I focus on doing something that I know I can do and I don't worry about what I am afraid that I might do.

I am also doing a lot of drilling and swinging a shaft with no head for speed training which may be having a positive effect. I also changed my grip to what I believe is a natural grip for me that allows me to relax and swing through with no corrections.

Regards, Herbert

Respond to this message   
Responses

Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement