Return to Index  

Face the ball at impact?

December 17 2010 at 1:43 AM

(Login gHerbert)
SAGF Members 2001

I think that the measure of shoulder turn discussed in the long thread is rather difficult considering that the shoulders can move in a lot of different directions. There does not seem to be a definition of shoulder position at impact that I like; so far anyway. I do think that shoulder turn is being looked at from the wrong perspective in some cases. Shoulder turn to me is around the spine meaning that the plane that should be measured is not parallel to the ground.

Here are few pics of Moe:
[linked image] [linked image]

Did Moe 'face the ball at impact'?

It is my opinion that telling most average golfers to 'face the ball' at impact will not result in a position at impact that matches Moe's. To me Moe is cranked around as far as he can get at impact considering the restraints of his body type, setup and his intention to keep the trail foot on the ground.

As for my swing I for the last number of years have trained myself to keep my trail foot on the ground through impact. I am now thinking that is a mistake. When I get up on my toe with the knee kicked in a bit I am lot more comfortable and my back feels better. It also seems easier to maintain the spine angle through impact. LOL I am in the early stages of this one so we shall see. I did get this training from a couple of pros that I had lessons with many years ago. One pro gave me some drills to achieve this impact position in order to overcome a tendency to pull hook at that time. His comment was that my lower body was following my swing instead of leading it.

Regards, Herbert

Respond to this message   
Responses